Lago Atitlan archaeology

David Mundy

Nov 9, 2015, 6:33:05 PM11/9/15
to GSP1

Hello Everyone,

I was talking to some volunteers on Saturday at Ottawa's (successful and fun) fundraiser about some interesting archaeological finds in Lake Atitlan. Others in Ottawa and Perth may also be interested, so here's some info below:

A recent (July/August 2015 edition) article in ARCHAEOLOGY magazine was entitled "Lost Island of the Maya: A submerged ancient pilgrimage site in Guatemala is slowly revealing its past" .

It's about the remains of about 30 houses, plaza, staircases etc. discovered on the underwater island of Samabaj i.e. covered by the risen waters of the lake. One can "google" further for more information, but I've included a link to the magazine article.

https://louisville.edu/artsandsciences/faculty-staff/monday-memo/files/june-2015/lost-island-of-the-maya/view/dztheme_preview

Bye for now,

Dave