Talking About Rural Glass Recycling Programs
At Two Upcoming Webinars
The Northeast Recycling Council (NERC) is hosting the following two webinars with funding from USDA:
Successful Glass Recycling in Rural Communities – June 6, 11 – 12:30 eastern
Developing and maintaining a successful glass recycling program in a rural community may seem like a daunting task to many. This webinar will feature three rural recycling centers that have been successfully collecting post-consumer glass and the non-profit organization they are working with to consolidate and ship the glass to a company that preps it for use by a fiberglass manufacturer. The presenters will talk about their strategies for educating residents about the importance of glass recycling, minimizing contamination, storing the collected glass, and accessing end markets.
- Paul Albee, Manager, Norwich Transfer Station, Vermont
- Bonnie Bethune, Senior Member Services Representative, Northeast Resource Recovery Association
- Ben Hoy, Director, Walpole Recycling Center, New Hampshire
- Susanne Simon, Coordinator, Thetford Recycling Center, Vermont
The Nuts & Bolts to Starting a Glass Recycling Program in a Rural Area – June 29, 11 – 12 eastern
The webinar will feature two rural regions in Maine that recently developed new glass recycling programs. The presenters will talk about their experiences in and strategies for: developing and running the glass recycling programs, gaining residents' interest in glass recycling, identifying staffing and equipment requirements, accessing funds to support their program needs, identifying end markets for post-consumer glass and decision making about crushing the glass or marketing it as whole containers, and planning for the future to grow their programs.
- Michael Berry, Board Member & Treasurer of Unity Area Recycling Center
- John Sutherland, Administrator of the North Aroostook Solid Waste Association (NASWA)
if you have any questions about these webinars, contact Mary Ann Remolador, Assistant Director, NERC.