Two questions.

Arthur Boone

Nov 22, 2021, 8:50:53 PM11/22/21
to greenyes
1. Bicycle tire recycling. Truck and car tires can be recycled but my source said there is no market for tread-gone bicycle tires; any comments?

2. Berkeley accepts small pieces of plastic foodware as long as the item is "clean;"a term for which Berkeley fails to offer a definition. Recently peeling the paper/foil top cover to a  small vessel holding two ounces of milk or some white liquid, I found if difficult to get the foil away from the vessel; the paper in the lid and the foil had separated. Should this vessel uncorrected by corrective actions be considered "contaminated?"

Arthur R. Boone
Center for Recycling Research, Berkeley
510/910-6451

Nancy Poh

Nov 23, 2021, 1:04:42 AM11/23/21
to Arthur Boone, greenyes
1. An idea that can be copied. Tire Stewardship Manitoba in Canada offers bicycle tire collection under its rubber recycling infrastructure free of charge.  You can find participating drop-off locations listed at the following link:

There is a good write up about how tyres can be recycled on Wikipedia.

-From that write up, I found the term "Tire-derived products" and did a search for it by adding .pdf. That is how I found this report by the California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle):
Tire-Derived Product Applications in Building & Construction
-Tire-Derived Product (TDP) Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Tires/Products/FAQ/
-There is a link on  CalRecycle site to "Map of Public Recycling Locations''. Just tick tyres and enter your zip code or county to find out where you can send your tyres to:
-There is a Tire-Derived Product Grant Program in California
The California Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) offers the Tire-Derived Product (TDP) Grant Program to promote markets for recycled-content products derived from waste tires generated in California and decrease the adverse environmental impacts created by unlawful disposal and stockpiling of waste tires.
https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Tires/Grants/Product/

If you want more information about tyre recycling for green buildings, you can also write to U.S. Green Building Council:

2. You should not tear apart the milk carton. According to Tetra Pak, the recycling sorting machines are designed to separate flat paper from cartons based on the size and shape. The machines will not be able to recognise it to keep them for recycling.

But in Japan, this is how they wash and open up milk cartons up for recycling
https://youtu.be/OcKZP_PT6Tw?t=15