Steering Committee Convened for Northeast Anaerobic Digestion Project
The Northeast Waste Management Officials’ Association (NEWMOA), the Northeast Recycling Council (NERC), Clean & Healthy New York, and the Connecticut Coalition for Economic and Environmental Justice are partnering on a two-year anaerobic digestion (AD) project— Developing Solutions to Regulatory Challenges and Engaging Community Support to Expand Diversion of Food Waste to Anaerobic Digestion in the Northeast. The US EPA-funded project will develop solutions to regulatory and other barriers to AD while incorporating principles of Environmental Justice (EJ) and community engagement. Supporting engagement of EJ communities with local AD facilities that are planned or already exist is also part of the project.
NEWMOA and NERC and our partners, Clean + Healthy and the Connecticut Coalition for Economic and Environmental Justice, are very excited to be working with such a distinguished and knowledgeable group of stakeholders on this anaerobic digestion project. The involvement of so many key people will help ensure the success of this effort. We greatly appreciate EPA’s support for this innovative initiative, said Terri Goldberg, Executive Director of NEWMOA.
A Steering Committee has been convened to lend their expertise and guidance about the project content and deliverables, review the publications to be developed, and promote the training webinars. According to Matthew Karmel, Esq. of Offit Kurman P.A., The Steering Committee is diverse in make-up and experience, with representatives from leaders in anaerobic digestion as well as community and environmental groups, government regulators, and other experts. As we set out on this project, we need all voices engaged in order to scale anaerobic digestion within our communities in a respectful and efficient manner.
The Steering Committee members include:
· Nora Goldstein, BioCycle
· Coryanne Mansell, Center for EcoTechnology
· Joanne Shafer, Centre County Recycling & Refuse Authority
· Bobbi Wilding, Clean+Healthy (formerly Clean and Healthy New York)
· Jed Thorp, Clean Water Action Rhode Island
· Sharon Lewis, Connecticut Coalition for Economic and Environmental Justice
· Suzanne Hunt, Generate Capital
· Amelia Rose, Groundwork Rhode Island
· Randy Hartmann, Keep America Beautiful
· John Fischer, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
· Jennifer McDonnell, New York City Department of Sanitation
· Melissa Hall, New York State Pollution Prevention Institute
· Mary Ann Remolador, NERC
· Krishana Abrahim-Petrie, NEWMOA
· Terri Goldberg, NEWMOA
· Jennifer Griffith, NEWMOA
· Matthew Karmel, Esq., Offit Kurman P.A.
· Debra Darby, Tetra Tech
· Christine Beling, US EPA, Region 1
· Rachel Chaput, US EPA, Region 2
· Stephanie Lansing, University of Maryland
· Billy Connelly, Vanguard Renewables
· Anne Bjur, Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
· Josh Kelly, Vermont Agency of Natural Resources
Mary Ann Remolador
Assistant Director & Event Organizer
Northeast Recycling Council
139 Main Street, Suite 401
Brattleboro, Vermont 05301
NERC is an equal opportunity employer & provider.
Resource for Sustainable Solutions