RE: [GreenYes] Digest for greenyes@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 2 topics

Lifset, Reid

May 26, 2024, 10:00:29 AMMay 26
to gree...@googlegroups.com

Hi Neil,

As you probably know, most of the research on virgin subsidies focuses on fossil fuels.  There are many fewer efforts to quantify subsidies for virgin materials.  These might be helpful:

McCarthy, Andrew, and Peter Börkey. “Mapping Support for Primary and Secondary Metal Production.” France: OCED, October 16, 2018. https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/environment/mapping-support-for-primary-and-secondary-metal-production_4eaa61d4-en.

OECD. Environmentally Harmful Subsidies: Challenges for Reform. Paris, France: OECD Publications, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264012059-en.

Pew Charitable Trusts.  “Reforming the U.S. Hard Rock Law of 1872: The Price of Inaction.” Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: The Pew Charitable Trusts, 2009. http://pew.org/1Q6ZWXj.

Sincerely,

Reid

Reid J. Lifset
Research Scholar; Founding Editor, Journal of Industrial Ecology

Center for Industrial Ecology
T +1-203-432-6949

F +1-203-432-5912

@JindEcol

reid....@yale.edu

Yale School of the Environment
environment.yale.edu

cie.research.yale.edu

May 26, 2024, 11:25:42 AMMay 26
to Lifset, Reid, gree...@googlegroups.com
Reid, Thanks for this help. Be well, Neil

Doug Koplow

Jun 14, 2024, 11:41:27 AMJun 14
to Lifset, Reid, Neil Seldman, gree...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to be a bit late to weigh in here.

1) I did a fairly big research effort a month or so ago to find new information on subsidies to timber. There is very little data anywhere. In the US, subsidies to timbering roads in public lands with timber concessions remain, but aren't huge. Internationally, it's clear that timber theft, below market concessions, and roads are all significant -- just not quantified. Interpol, which estimates illegal timbering, does have an update to its 2019 value in process, but no estimated completion date. There's also massive subsidies to wood pellets, particularly in the UK -- google "Drax" and "subsidies".

2) OECD has continued to work on subsidies and there are some reports that may be useful that were completed more recently than the ones Reid flagged. I found their work on subsidies to state-owned enterprises (SOEs) particularly interesting. Some of their assessments are of primary materials. The papers are analytically strong and address a challenging area: subsidies to SOEs involve below-market credit, risk shifting, and state equity infusions, all of which are hard to quantify. Some useful links:

3) There is an emerging treaty on plastics waste that is expected to include disciplining (i.e., disclosing, reforming, eliminating) subsidies to plastics and plastics feedstocks. The scale of subsidies is likely to be large, but the data set is not complete enough to be published yet.

4) Subsidies to energy inputs (and not just fossil fuels) have always been a significant prop for primary industries, as well as to disposal over recycling. The surging federal subsidies under the IRA simply make these worse. Among the factors to look for:

-Subsidies to anaerobic digestion even for massive ag companies.
-Subsidies to carbon capture, particularly 45Q.
-Subsidies to methane from landfills (now referred to as "RNG" or "renewable natural gas") and to power from WTE plants.
-I don't know the current status of the favorable tax treatment of black liquor byproducts at paper mills, but these were very large about 10 years ago.
-There are growing subsidies to minerals needed for the energy transition (particularly EVs). This includes lithium. These are likely to harm the secondary markets in these materials.
-Large subsidies to biomass conversion to energy remain in the US despite murky environmental benefits. These will likely spur removal of more and more residuals from the land, which could have long-term effects on ecosystem health.

5) Target 18 under the Global Biodiversity Framework of the Convention on Biological Diversity will require much more transparency on environmentally harmful subsidies, assuming countries follow it (there's no formal enforcement mechanism). But this will capture a number of sectors of relevance to recycling and composting, including agriculture, forestry, fossil fuels, plastics, and non-energy mining.

Regards,

Doug

On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 10:00 AM Lifset, Reid <reid....@yale.edu> wrote:

_________________________________
Doug Koplow
Earth Track, Inc.
485 Massachusetts Ave. #3
Cambridge, MA 02139

CONFIDENTIAL
This message, and all attachments thereto, is for the designated recipient
only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private
information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the original.  Any other use of the email by you
is prohibited.

Neil Seldman

Jun 14, 2024, 12:19:39 PMJun 14
to Doug Koplow, Lifset, Reid, gree...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for this research. Much appreciated. Neil