Need help - Holiday waste stat and Cooperative waste/recycling programs

Kelley

Jun 27, 2021, 3:50:10 PM6/27/21
to GreenYes
*Sorry for cross-postings

1. In our research relating to winter holidays and waste for our Simplify the Holidays campaign, the Center for Biological Diversity came across a very popular statistic: Between Thanksgiving and the New Year, American households generate 25% more waste than usual. However, I know this statistic is old and I can't seem to find the original citation. Does anyone know of any similar statistics or other resources relating to seasonal waste patterns? If we can't find any updated statistics, are there any local government solid waste departments interested in sharing their waste data from 2018 or 2019 to build a new aggregated statistic we could all use?

2. The Center is holding a webinar in August about the solidarity economy which highlights cooperative organizations versus single-owner organizations. One example is the Compost Cooperative. Are folks on this list aware of any other waste-specific coops or other democratically run waste organizations?