Working in good faith...SWANA/CRRA course and the definition of ZW - update?

Caroline Eader

Sep 24, 2021, 8:07:55 AM9/24/21
to Tracie Onstad Bills, Despina M. Kreatsoulas, Lauren Molinari, Rachel Adell, GreenYes, Stop Incinerators
Tracie, working collaboratively is optimum.  This is assuming that all parties are coming to the negotiating table in good faith.

Those of us who have fought (yes, this is the appropriate word) trash incineration are tired of others who don't understand our battles (again, the correct word to use here), tell us that all we need to do is to work with the industry shills.

I know CRRA knows what is and what isn't zero waste, so I look forward to hearing of the amendments to the course:

p. 5-1 quote: "What processing technology should be considered in a Zero Waste plan?"

The manual explains the 3 types of technologies - physical, biological, and thermal.  Yes, thermal technologies are a disposal choice, but not a Zero Waste choice.  That vagueness should not be allowed to stand, otherwise the attendee/reader can be misled to believe thermal technologies can be included as a part of a properly designed Zero Waste plan.

Quote: "After completing this lesson, the participant will be able to:"

Please add to the skill list, "Identify technologies which are not components of a Zero Waste strategy."

p. 5-13 WTE Chart at top half of page, "Some pre- and post-processing may occur:"

The second bullet point should be corrected to state, " Recover [some] recyclables"  This is a subtle change that is generous,because the correct term that should be used is "minimal."  I make this distinction because of my research and knowledge of the proposed Frederick & Carroll County, Maryland incinerator, that well-informed citizens defeated in 2014:

"The proposed [Frederick] WTE facility will be constructed and operated with energy recover[y]. The singular identifying feature of mass-burn facilities is they do not process incoming waste prior to combustion, other than the removal of and recycling of bulky white goods and other bulky items that may inadvertently be delivered to the facility."  (https://www.minnpost.com/letters/2013/06/incinerators-incentives-are-burn-not-recycle)

p. 5-14 Please see the Mass Burn chart at the top of the page, "Combustion is not 100% efficient leading to ash" - the first bullet point states, "Typically 10% by volume of the feedstock."

It is imperative you also include, "30% or more by weight"

p. 5-15 Under "Cons"

Correction from "More expensive form of electricity than fossil fuel," to "The most expensive form of electricity generation." Source = "Updated Capital Costs for Electricity Generation Plants" by the U.S. Energy Information Administration, Table 1: Updated Estimates of Power Plant Capital and Operating Costs" (Nov. 2010)

Third to last paragraph which states, "Acknowledging these fundamentally different views [whether WTE is considered to be recycling or material diversion] is essential in any discussion of WTE as a part of Zero Waste" must be corrected to say, "discussion of using WTE OR choosing a Zero Waste strategy," [My emphasis of "or" is for your reading, but not required in the training manual.)

p. 5-21 The last sentence needs to be deleted: "Using a combination of technologies is essential in this phase of Zero Waste program development." Again, conversion (aka burning) technologies cannot be part of the "combination" of ZW technologies, and the attendees should not be misled.

p. 5-22 Chart = a big No-No!

The chart has to be changed to remove thermal technologies as part of "Zero Waste Processing - How to Get There?"

Additionally, the last paragraph needs to remove these two sentences, " Any remaining residues from the MRF, MMPF, or MBT facility are then thermally processed (possibly with RFD processing as well). Ash from the thermal process is put to beneficial use.

As a reminder about the so-called "beneficial use" of ash, please view Paul Connett's video.

Thank you,
----
Caroline Eader, Esq., M.E.R.L. (pronounced "Ader"),

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 4:17 PM Tracie Onstad Bills <tra...@crra.com> wrote:

Caroline,

Thanks for your email. Yes, CRRA is working with SWANA on the content.

I am uncertain why everything has to be a “fight” “ do I need to prepare myself to fight your "students" for the next several years about what is and is not ZW?”

We find working collaboratively is a better method to getting things changed.

I will send you a separate email regarding the updates.

Tracie

Tracie Onstad Bills

California Resource Recovery Association / Association Contractor / Executive Director

SCS Engineers / Northern California Director Sustainable Materials Management

Office: 916-441-2772, ext 1

Mobile:  408-406-1991

Tra...@crra.com

tbi...@scsengineers.com