community owned landfills

Kelley

Jun 24, 2024, 6:28:17 PMJun 24
to GreenYes
Hey,
Has anyone on this list heard of a community-owned landfill or MRF?
Kelley

Gary Liss

Jun 24, 2024, 8:21:01 PMJun 24
to Kelley, GreenYes
There are lots of them.  That was the norm in Central California for many years.

San Diego is a good example.  You could get contact info from Rick Anthony.  Rick was also the Solid Waste Manager in Fresno County in the 1980s.  Fresno developed the 1st Sanitary Landfill in the country, and that was publicly owned.

Gary

Kelley Dennings

Jun 25, 2024, 8:22:38 AMJun 25
to Gary Liss, GreenYes, Malia Becker
Thanks, Gary. Sorry for my lack of clarity in the question. I used to work for a publicly-government-owned landfill.

I'm asking instead about "community-owned" like a community garden, community loan fund or community solar. Are there worker-owner or co-op landfill or MRF examples? Do any landfills have unions? Can a landfill become a land trust? Maybe there are examples in the composting space? Thanks for any input from this list.

Kelley Dennings, PMP, MPH, CPH, FPHW
she/her/hers

Center for Biological Diversity (my day-job)

Blair Pollock

Jun 25, 2024, 8:50:06 AMJun 25
to Kelley Dennings, Gary Liss, GreenYes, Malia Becker
It was also true here in Orange Counth NC & for its first 28 years was jointly owned & governed by its “Landfills Owners Group” of three original investors of the County, the town of Carrboro and The Tiwn of Chapel who agreed to fees, budget & policies.
Blaire
Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos pls