Curbside Bulk Reuse Study and System Proposal

Amanda Waddle

Jun 17, 2021, 12:08:59 PM6/17/21
to gree...@googlegroups.com
HI GreenYes group, the nonprofit I work for, The Repurpose Project, has an opportunity to conduct a study (funded by the City of Gainesville) to evaluate the value and amount of bulk items at the curb in our city. We also have the opportunity to propose a system for collection based on what we see during the study.

Here are my 2 questions:
  • Has any community conducted a similar study where they drive predetermined routes to assess the items at the curb for value in the local reuse economy?
  • Are there systems out there in communities where bulky items are picked up at the curb for reuse. (I've found a couple but would love more examples).
Thank you for any information you can give me,
Amanda
_____________________________
Amanda Rice Waddle (she/her/hers)
Zero Waste Associate

Gary Liss

Jun 17, 2021, 5:48:40 PM6/17/21
to Amanda Waddle, gree...@googlegroups.com, Gary Liss (GLA), Gary Liss

Amanda,

Attached is a study we did for the State in CA years ago that has some ideas.

Urban Ore did a study like that in San Luis Obispo to determine the value of materials being thrown away there.  Rick Anthony or Dan Knapp would have more details on that study.

Gary

Gary Liss

916-652-7850

916-335-1637 (cell)

ga...@garyliss.com

See presentations and recordings from the NRC

National Zero Waste Virtual Conference here.

Amanda Rice Waddle (she/her/hers)

Zero Waste Associate

Image removed by sender.

image001.jpg
Community Cleanups.doc

Blair Pollock

Jun 17, 2021, 6:59:15 PM6/17/21
to ga...@garyliss.com, Amanda Waddle, Gree...@googlegroups.com, Gary Liss
The State of NC bans landfilling of electronics & appliances so those are typically delivered by the various Towns in our County that collect bulky goods for a fee from residences to our county’s landfill/disposal center recycling areas where they could be triaged for repair/reuse but are not - they’re just recycled and the county gets some stAte funds back to pay for a part of the costs of recycling.
The  County has its own ban on landfilling scrap metal so any scrap metal from the various Towns’ bulky goods collection programs is diverted to the county scrap metal pile at no charge.
Further there is a robust scavenger and Freecycle effort by which many appliances disappear overnight from streetside when placed for collection
E.g.  few years ago I put out a slightly rusty 27 year old Kenmore washer at the curb at 10pm posted it on Freecycle & it was gone in the morning - whether for scrap
Reuse or parts or resale ?? Who knows?
In my old neigborhood of ~220 homes we Would coord w Habitat for Humanity ReStore for an annual drive & they’d send their box truck out to get what people set out based on a newsletter we hand delivered - before the total ubiquity of email - plus we didn’t want too much poaching that might come w on line posting - that was modestly successful as I recall it
A local guy here puts out a Trailer (made from am old truck) in Front of his house that has yielded 20 tons of dropped off scrap metal plus he’s repaired & resold many lawnmowers & other appliances through this drop point in a regular middle class suburban neigborhood and Miraculously in 2+ Years no one has complained while many benefit. Plus others scavenge from trailer for their own projects..

We at Orange County NC have four public salvage sheds at staffed waste & recycling centers through which $1000s in somewhat documented wealth flows daily Ppt available on request
Anecdotally in one 20 mn prepandemic  period I saw $120 of goods (retail value at Walmart) change hands eg desk, lamp and House goods

The takeaway: build & nurture yr reuse ecosystem where you are - there is no ideal reuse system. But creating swap ‚ reuse opportunities is a key element to be nurtured!

Repair is the weak link & my scrap trailer guy will Tell you he didn’t learn from a book but he’s ONE GUY and i hope to start a you tube channel with him „one day“
Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos pls

[...]

<image001.jpg>

<Community Cleanups.doc>