Universal resin types?

emsees

Jun 21, 2024, 2:29:08 PMJun 21
to GreenYes
Greetings,

   One thing that I've noticed is a potential problem that could probably be easily improved with a simple change is the application of some sort of international agreement or rule on resin type labeling.

As but one example is this tray I keep getting in products from Korea. The resin type seems to be in what I think is Hangul characters, and I would think most people outside of Korea don't know whether this is recyclable or not in their local collections and I'm not sure how the local MRFs would handle this if there's a question.

--
MS
IMG_20240621_141848~2.jpg

Nancy Poh

Jun 23, 2024, 3:32:17 AMJun 23
to emsees, GreenYes
According to Wikimedia that is the recycling symbol used in Republic of Korea.  There are Korean character at this link for recycling that you can match to the one on your packaging.  See extracted:

May be completed with inscriptions (LatinHangeul or Hanja), e.g.
  • 2 (or other numbers)
  • PP
  • PET
  • HDPE
  • LDPE
  • 페트 ("PET")
  • 플라스틱 ("plastic")
  • 비닐(류) ("Vinyl")
  • 유리 ("yuri": glass)
  • 종이 ("jong-i": paper)
  • 종이팩 ("jong-i paek": paper pack)
  • 캔(류) ("can" [=tin])
  • ...

You can also compare the characters shared in this article:
image.png

emsees

Jul 1, 2024, 12:33:15 PMJul 1
to GreenYes
Thanks, but I think you missed my point.

It doesn't matter if you can look this stuff up.

People won't do that.

Even if they do or can take the time to look this stuff up, they still might not be sure, like, this symbol on this package is hard to read.. based on what you sent I think this *might* be PET, but I can't be sure because the imprint isn't that great.

If millions of these and other containers are being shipped around the world, outside of countries where most people can read them, then people in those countries need to be able to EASILY read them.

People are not going to go on the web to research the symbols every time they get a container they don't recognize.
If they're going to continue to produce and use this and other plastic packaging then there needs to be some sort of international agreement or standard practice to put resin types on these products that are easy to interpret by everybody in every country, and that is seemingly Arabic Numerals.