Plastic bag and film drop offs where bans are?

emsees

Jul 1, 2021, 11:38:18 PMJul 1
to GreenYes
I'm curious of the experience of people in areas where plastic bag bans have taken place.  What's happened to your plastic bag and film drop offs?

Currently they're all over the place, but it occurred to me that if I managed a supermarket chain and no longer was giving out plastic grocery bags, it probably wouldn't make sense to waste the space or effort of having a plastic bag and film drop off.

My concern is that this will make it harder to collect, recover, and recycle all the other plastic bags and fillms people may have.

--
Michael S.

Nancy Poh

Jul 2, 2021, 1:20:08 AMJul 2
to emsees, GreenYes
In Malaysia, we do not have retail stores where they collect plastic grocery bags for recycling, as reported by How2Recycle at this link:.
https://www.plasticfilmrecycling.org/recycling-bags-and-wraps/find-drop-off-location/

Prior to the ban, we made use of the larger plastic bags we received with our purchases as garbage bags. Now that such plastic bags are not freely given out, most of us have to buy garbage bags to hold discards. So, there will always be plastic bags selling in the market, except that they are now garbage bags, which will likely end up in landfills.

At my bike shop, most of the bicycles are delivered wrapped in big and small plastic bags or bubble wraps. My husband is in the renovation industry.  Now and then he brought back huge plastic bags that were use to pack tools, equipment or parts of workstations.  So, I think it is a good idea to maintain plastic bag and film drop off sites.

Nancy