GEARs Scheduled Rides for the Week of June 10th & Beyond!

Larry Diffie

Jun 9, 2024, 2:04:32 PMJun 9
to GEARs

Hello GEARs,

Ok, today is June 9th and we’ve already had 14 scheduled Rides!  How cool is that!  And many more to come for the rest of the month!  And, just sitting here thinking, I’m thinking we have not had any rain or weather cancellations!  Except for higher temps (which let me know when it get’s to 115 and I might holler a bit) and a higher pollen count, it doesn’t get much better Riding around our Valley’s, unless you happen to Ride over the Garry Swanson’s neighborhood where the Sun is always shining, and the temps are always in the 70’s!!

It's Time to Ride and Time to Explore and Time to Enjoy!

We have another Speaker Presentation this Wednesday, with our very own Howard Hesterberg, who will discuss “The Inside Story On The 2024 Tour de France”.  Howard will discuss personalities, routes and other tidbits to help you enjoy “de Tour” even more so!  Also, there is something about tasting wine, some of which was actually grown along the routes of the “Tour de France”.  Please go to the GEARs Welcome Page and signup below the info posting.

How about Rides Larry?  Well, ok, here we go!

On Monday, June 10th, at 9:00 a.m., Mike will lead our “Slo-Mo Monday” Riders out Clearwater Trail & Scenic Springfield, 24 miles, 536’ gain.

On Tuesday, June 11th:

At 9:00 a.m., Karen will lead 10 to 12 mph Climbers up our “Free, Fun Fox Hollow” route and only she knows how she is going to get you there!  Up is involved!  Approximately 26 miles, 1932’ gain.  And usually, a stop at a local Bakery at the end of the Ride.

At 6:00 p.m., Kayna will lead our “2 Days In, 3 More To Go” 14 to 16 mph Riders out Seavy Loop to Dillard, 21 miles, 894’ gain.

On Thursday, June 13th:

At 9:00 a.m.,

Ted will lead 13 to 15 mph Riders out to Alvadore via Milliron, 36 miles, 410’ gain.  Probably includes a short stop at Camas Bakery.

Steve Husak will lead our 16+ mph Riders out to Junction City, Dorsey, Reversed, 41 miles, 373’ gain.

At 6:00 p.m., the Always Energized Angie will lead 14 to 16 mph Riders on our “Whaddya Mean I Still Have One More Workday?  Then Lets Feel The Burn Baby!” Ride out McKenzie View & Back, 25 miles, 543’ gain.

On Saturday, June 15th, at 9:00 a.m., Nancy Whyte will lead our 13 to 15 mph Riders out to Junction City, Toftdahl, Alvadore, returning on the Fern Ridge Bike Path, 55 miles, Level A.

On Monday, June 17th, at 9:00 a.m., Garry will lead our “Slo-Mo Monday” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out on one of his favorite Rides, Upper Camp Creek, 27 miles, Level B.

And Beyond:  The Beyond looks GREAT for GEARs!  Many Ride opportunities as well as a chance to Ride with a Group of GREAT People!!  And we continue to try to find creative new Rides and destinations – and have a Great Crew of Ride Leaders who help us find our way!

Texas 4000 – Coming to Eugene on Wednesday, June 26th to the “Y”, where GEARs will be hosting dinner for these young students that evening.  We can use help cooking and cleaning up.  And just come on out and hear their stories and maybe share some of yours.  GEARs will help escort these 30 Riders out of town Thursday morning (more info coming).  We will Ride out to Herman or Bowers Rds, wave them off on their continuing journey to Anchorage and return.

Two days later, we will be pounding pavement out of Newport, up the Bay to Siletz and then back to the coast.  A wonderful 69-mile Loop that takes us inland through some fabulous countryside.   John Reidy will lead the 16+ and I’ll lead the 13 to 15 mph Riders.  Amazing, and challenging Ride, but oh so worth it!

bRamble – what?  Yes, it’s time to do the bRamble again.  Sunday, August 25th!!  We will have the “bRamble Volunteer Rides on Saturday, August 17th – Stay Tuned!!

September – Weekend Camping Ride, probably the weekend after Labor Day Weekend.

And something that is being discussed is a potential 2-night Gravel Ride Campout.  Ride, carry, setup, sleep, get up, pack, Ride, etc. to the next location and return to base on a Sunday……

These weekend treks take coordination and planning, and then you might have the Forest Service change your mind………     Thanks so much to those folks who take the time so we can have the time of our lives!!

Have a pollen free week (I may be up to 50% recovered and holding!  That allows me to function and of course Ride!)

A Tip of the Helmet to Darian!  Wishing him continued recovery and hope to see him back Riding with us in the next few months!  Something about legs and rods taking the proper time to heal!!

Have a wonderful week!

Larry