GEARs Schedule Rides for Week of Jun 17th & Beyond!

Larry Diffie

Jun 16, 2024, 12:21:47 PMJun 16
to GEARs

Hello GEARs Group,

Happy Father’s Day to all you Dad Dudes!

So did the grass pollen disappear with Saturday morning’s rain, never to appear again, at least for the rest of this season?  In some reports, it was listed in the moderate zone yesterday! I’m finally at a point where I can function, yet still have a ways to go before I get all the way back.  I hope no one is suffering or has been as miserable as I have been the past 3 weeks – ugh!

So, speaking of being outdoors – there are still Rides to be Ridden!

A big tip of the helmet for Deven Smith who led her first Ride today for GEARs, leading 16+ Riders out to Junction City/Toftdahl.

Here is what’s Scheduled for this week & Beyond:

On Monday, June 17th, at 9:00 a.m., Garry will lead our “Slo-Mo Monday” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out to Upper Camp Creek & Back, 27 miles, Level B.  Meet at the Albertson’s on Mohawk in Springfield.

On Tuesday, June 18th:

At 9:00 a.m.:

Jackie will lead 10 to 12 mph Riders on our “Free, Fun Fox Hollow” Ride, approximately 26 miles, 1932’ gain.  Jackie likes to stop at the Hideaway after the Ride.

Kentucky Bob will lead 12 to 14 mph Riders “Up and Around and Over” some local hills, 25 to 50 miles, Level C.  Don’t be afraid, just show up and be surprised!

At 6:00 p.m.:

Steph will lead 14 to 16 mph “I Need a Workout!  I Need a Workout” Riders up and down Fox Hollow and then just to make sure nobody complains about not having a good enough workout, she’ll Lead Riders up to the of Dillard as well!  27 miles, 2183’ gain = Pain?  What pain?!

On Wednesday, June 19th, well it’s not a Ride, but a lot of information about a Ride to Watch!  Our own Howard Hesterberg, GEARs Tour Enthusiast, will provide the inside story on the 2024 Tour de France.  And you can enjoy free tastings of the wines of France and light hors d’oeuvres.  6:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the Sundance Wine Cellars, 2442 Hilyard St.  Register on our GEARs Welcome Page, attendance limited to 45 attendees.

On Thursday, June 20th:

At 9:00 a.m.:

Garry will lead our “Throttleback Thursday” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out Alvadore via Milliron, 36 miles, 410’ gain.

And Richard will lead 13 to 15 mph Riders out McKenzie View/Sunderman and Back, 35 miles, 781’ gain.

At 6:00 p.m., Angie will lead our “TGIF Tomorrow” Riders out McKenzie View, 25 miles, 543’ gain.  A chance to work out almost a full week of stuff!

On Friday, June 21st, at 9:00 a.m., I will lead 12 to 14 mph Riders down to Cottage Grove via the Town of Lorane, 63 miles, Level C.  They have Food Trucks in Cottage Grove, where food will happen.

On Saturday, June 22nd, at 9:00 a.m., Garry is back leading our “Simply Not-in-a-Hurry” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out Weyerhauser to Pleasant Hill, Out & Back, 35 miles, Level B.

On Sunday, June 23rd, at 9:00 a.m., Danielle will lead 12 to 14 mph Gravel Riders on a route called “Dinner with Brice” which will be a remote start outside of Cottage Grove from Wildwood Park.  There is a parking fee ($5.00) which can be purchased on-line at Lane County Parks – reservations.lanecounty.org.

On Monday, June 24th, at 9:00 a.m., Good Ol’ Mike is back leading our “Slo-Mo Monday” Riders (10 to 12 mph) out McKenzie View and Back, 25 miles, 543’ gain.

And Beyond:

Saturday, June 29th, at 9:30 a.m., we have a remote Ride = “The Siletz Loop” out of Newport.  Meet at Alton Baker for Carpool Possibilities – I’ll be there to help coordinate.  If you can carry bikes and people, please let me know.  If you are being toted, please consider helping whoever is driving with gas costs.  This Ride is also our GEARs support of “Food For Lane County” where you can pledge a set amount or by miles Ridden for yourself or any participating Rider.  There will be more info on where to pledge in the upcoming GEARs Newsletter.  Thank you in advance for your support.  You do not have to pledge to Ride!

And, on this same Saturday, at 9:00 a.m. for Riders not interested in going remote, Ted will lead 13 to 15 mph Riders out the “Applegate Trail”, 47 miles, Level C.

On the evening of Wednesday, June 26th, the Texas 4000 Student/Grads will be rolling into town on their way to Anchorage, Alaska and spending the night at “The Y”.  GEARs is helping to support feeding this group of 30 Riders or so dinner that night.  If you are interested in helping to serve and cleanup, please contact Steve Hecker for further information.

And the following morning, we will Escort these Riders out of town through Coburg and as far as Herman/Bowers Rds.  The start time looks to be early = 7:00 a.m. and will be from “The Y”.  More info coming.  Anticipate a regular Thursday type Ride starting from Alton Baker for those who live life better when they can sleep in a bit later.  More info coming.

And then there will be July’s Ride Schedule.  And August brings in our bRamble Volunteer Rides and then “The Blackberry bRamble”.  There are still plenty of slots to Volunteer for!

Have a Great Week!  Time to Ride!!

Peace,

Larry