Fwd: Keep Your Corporate Hands Off Our Medicare!

1 view

Craig Brooks

May 20, 2022, 3:00:09 PM5/20/22
to GreatNorthernHealth

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

From: Healthcare-NOW! <em...@healthcare-now.org>
Date: May 20, 2022 at 12:29:26 PM CDT
To: Craig Brooks <hs...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Keep Your Corporate Hands Off Our Medicare!

Healthcare-NOW Logo
Join the fight to save Medicare!

We call the universal healthcare system we're fighting for "Medicare for All" because even though most people in this country have never heard of "Single Payer Healthcare," we all know Medicare. That's because, despite its flaws, Medicare has been a reliable, publicly funded system that seniors and folks with disabilities have counted on for 50 years.

Unfortunately, if wall street bankers and healthcare profiteers have their way, that could change.

Here’s their scheme: The Medicare Direct Contracting program (which will be renamed “REACH” in 2023) pays third-party middleman called Direct Contracting Entities (DCEs) a flat fee to “manage” seniors’ care. DCEs could be private insurance firms or even private equity firms, and they are allowed to keep up to 40% of their Medicare payments as overhead and profits — a major incentive to restrict what they cover.

Basically, seniors are signing up for a public health program only to find that their health is actually in the hands of a private company with a financial incentive to cut corners on care. Even worse, seniors are enrolled in DCEs without their knowledge or consent.

We have the power to stop Direct Contracting in its tracks, but we need everybody to join the fight.

On Monday, May 23 at 1pm ET, along with nearly 300 other community and seniors' groups, our friends at Physicians for a National Healthcare Program will kick off a national campaign to protect Medicare from Wall Street with a webinar called Turning Up the Heat on Medicare Direct Contracting and REACH. This campaign event is free and open to all, but you must register in advance here.

We'll see you there!

In solidarity,

Ben and Gillian
Healthcare-NOW staff

Donate to Healthcare-NOW
Volunteer for Medicare for All
Follow us on Twitter

Healthcare-NOW is a grassroots organization that fights to end the healthcare crisis by educating and advocating for improved Medicare-for-All legislation. You can unsubscribe from Healthcare-NOW's email list here.

View as a Web Page

Healthcare-NOW
1534 Tremont St.
Boston, MA 02120-2929