Fwd: Tell Biden: Stop the Medicaid Crisis NOW!

Craig Brooks

Apr 11, 2023, 3:34:29 PM4/11/23
to GreatNorthernHealth

Craig

Begin forwarded message:

From: Healthcare-NOW! <em...@healthcare-now.org>
Date: April 11, 2023 at 12:40:33 PM CDT
To: Craig Brooks <craig....@gmail.com>
Subject: Tell Biden: Stop the Medicaid Crisis NOW!

Healthcare-NOW Logo
A Pending Disaster of Epic Proportions

Medicaid is a vital lifeline for many Americans living with poverty or chronic disabilities, but right now, 15 million Medicaid recipients are about to lose that lifeline if we don’t do something to stop it.

During the COVID public health emergency, the Medicaid program was required to keep current recipients on the rolls without reverifying their eligibility. Starting this month, states will begin the process of reverifying recipients, which the Department of Health and Human Services projects will lead to around 15 million people losing their healthcare coverage over the next year. One in three of those people will be children. Two thirds will be Black or Latinx.

Even more shocking, according to the federal government’s own estimates, at least 6.8 million of those people who will be kicked out of Medicaid this year will still be eligible for the program but will lose their coverage anyway just because of administrative errors and delays.

COVID cases may be declining, but we still have a public health emergency on our hands in this country – the pandemic just exposed and exacerbated the healthcare crisis that already existed. For decades, Americans have struggled every day to afford the care they need or gone without care altogether. Three years of illness, job loss, and economic turmoil have only made those problems worse.

Until we have a Medicare for All system that guarantees healthcare as a human right, we need to do everything we can to preserve the safety nets we do have in place, and taking away basic healthcare from millions of low-income or disabled Americans will put them at risk of sickness and preventable death.

The end of the Medicaid continuous enrollment policy presents a clear and present danger to our families, our communities, and our country as a whole. We call on President Biden to take immediate executive action to halt the purging of the Medicaid roles and ensure continued access to care for the 15 million people in jeopardy of having it taken away from them!

We need more folks to speak out and say that this situation is NOT acceptable! Please take a moment to forward this email to anyone you know who cares about defending healthcare access for those who need it most!

In solidarity,

Ben and Gillian
Healthcare-NOW staff

PS - Big thanks to our friends at Roots Action for partnering with us in getting the word out about this critical issue!

Donate to Healthcare-NOW
Volunteer for Medicare for All
Follow us on Twitter

Healthcare-NOW is a grassroots organization that fights to end the healthcare crisis by educating and advocating for improved Medicare-for-All legislation. You can unsubscribe from Healthcare-NOW's email list here.

View as a Web Page

Healthcare-NOW
1534 Tremont St.
Boston, MA 02120-2929