RE: grass/wood briquettes/logs

Anthony Nekut

Aug 4, 2010, 9:40:55 AM8/4/10
to Bryan Reggie, Jerry H. Cherney, Tom Wilson, Elizabeth Keokosky, Roger Samson, grass-...@googlegroups.com

Bryan,

I’d be interested in buying a quantity of grass “slugs” if you have them so I can do some burn testing is a couple of woodstoves.  If you don’t have any, would it be possible to bring you some raw material and pay you to manufacture slugs?

Roger, Jock, please comment on this if possible.  Thanks.

Tony Nekut

Community Biomass Energy

Aug 4, 2010, 12:12:28 PM8/4/10
to grass-...@googlegroups.com
Interesting thread, Tony. Thanks for cc-ing me. One thought we had about a year ago, you may recall, was making firestarter or fireplace logs with a mixture of grass and binding, combustible natural vegetable oils. I hate to think what the emissions would be but these things are being made now from far worse and sell for a premium (even the "green" options are basically bound waste waxed papers, which, judging from some of the bright colors of the flames they throw off, should probably not be burned).

Are the briquettes you're talking about meant to replace wood in a woodstove? What are the economics vs. cord wood?
-Guillermo

Jim Wuertele

Aug 4, 2010, 8:36:02 PM8/4/10
to grass-...@googlegroups.com
All,
   The analysis I did with one family farmer, who needed cord wood for the house and green house, was that he , with his own small tractor, saw, and splitter, took 10 (10 hour) days a year to prepare 10 cords from his adjacent wood lot.

Jim

James W. Wuertele
Vermont Agrifuels Institute
198 Church Street
St. Johnsbury, VT
05819, USA

Anthony Nekut

Aug 4, 2010, 9:49:55 PM8/4/10
to grass-...@googlegroups.com

Guillermo,

My rough economics and model are:   $80/ton for poor quality hay, dry enough for densification;  $100k total capital expense for 1 ton/hr capacity line using all used/refurb equipment (grant or open ended loan) and volunteer construction/installation;   operating costs $30/hr (power and maint.);  $20/ton delivery cost; sell at heating parity with cordwood,  roughly 1 ton briquettes/eco-logs = 1 cord avg firewood = $180 delivered; volunteer part time operator labor, 500 tons/year total initial production x $50 net/ton = $25000/yr to grow production, etc.

Tony

(sitting in Phoenix airport)

Jim Wuertele

Aug 5, 2010, 3:14:36 AM8/5/10
to grass-...@googlegroups.com
Another angle:
   A consideration of waste stream should be similar to that of wood burning, depending on the nature of the burn: incomplete, producing black dry ash ground up might be more useful in the garden; high temperature and well oxidized producing white dry ash not really charcoal and thus less available carbon and better as fill somewhere or returned with the delivery packaging.
   Around many houses from the 19th century and pre-war have layers of coal ash buried in their lots (ugh!), no need to repeat that choice if another is available from any newly developed system.
   Sustainability should be an added constraint in these early/heady days of planning.
Jim

Guillermo Metz

Aug 5, 2010, 10:04:35 AM8/5/10
to grass-...@googlegroups.com
Impressive. I would have thought the briquettes would be much more expensive than cord wood. Only difference remains that some people are able to cut their own wood, but there are plenty who don't. Thanks. (I hope you're out of the airport by now!)
-Guillermo

Mark Carlisle

Aug 5, 2010, 8:54:29 PM8/5/10
to grass-...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Reggie, Jerry H. Cherney, Tom Wilson, Elizabeth Keokosky, Roger Samson
All,

We have experimented with the BHS slugs in a 800K horizontal fire tube boiler and had great results.  The challenge is that we ended up with little "fibers" that collected in the fire tubes.  We believe that we have addressed this problem with our residential boiler by having vertical tubes and turbolators (to scrape the residue into a ash collection system), and if necessary adding a very small bag house as we see that this may be required regardless of what form of grass is used as the fuel.  Either boilers are built to accommodate the slugs or their role may be in a more commercial, farming application, only time will tell.  However, it is our goal to be able to use a wide variety of fuels, including the slugs. Unfortunately, progress on our boiler has been both challenging and painfully slow.

But, there is a bigger problem here that has been mentioned before.  The wood and grass pellet industry can ill afford having the grass pellet negatively affecting the pellet industry altogether for the lack of education (using grass pellets instead of wood pellets in a wood pellet stove). In some respects I think we are trying to "reinvent the wheel".  For years there has been a pellet used for cattle and other animals called a range cube.  This is like a super sized standard pellet (instead of being 1/4" it is around 3/4"). What this will accomplish is: higher production levels vs. its smaller counterpart, avoid any mix ups by having someone trying to use it in a wood pellet stove as it will not feed, and using existing technology that as been around for years.

As everyone knows, the pellet form is here to stay. We need to use this same form carefully without compromising the whole industry before it is able to reach its true potential.

Mark H. Carlisle
BEW

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Anthony Nekut <Anthon...@vectormagnetics.com> wrote:

Best regards,

Mark H. Carlisle

ISS
23 Water Street
P.O. Box 480
Ashburnham, MA 01430
USA
Tel. (800) 269-2367 Ext. 100
Tel. (978) 827-3160 Ext. 100
Fax (978) 827-3162
Email: mcar...@intlsmokingsystems.com
Skype: mark.h....@skype.com
www.intlsmokingsystems.com

The information contained in this e-mail is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) and may be confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged.  Inadvertent disclosure of this message does not constitute a waiver of any privilege.  If you receive this message in error, please do not directly or indirectly use, print, copy, forward, or disclose any part of this message.  Please also delete this e-mail and all copies and notify the sender.  Thank you.