Announcement: Biochar Seminar @ UVM on Friday, August 20th

jockgill

Jul 12, 2010, 5:36:47 PM7/12/10
to Grass Energy
All,

[Please note the date change]

Dr. Johannes Lehmann to Give Biochar Seminar
Friday – 20 August 2010, 1:00 – 4:30pm
Burlington, Vermont
Sheraton and UVM Conference Center
870 Williston Rd., S. Burlington, Vermont 05403 (802) 865-6600

The ‘Biochar Vermont Initiative’ has asked Professor Lehmann
to focus his comments on this question:

Is the strength of what is thus far known about biochar sufficient to
initiate a significant investment to study the manufacture, use and
efficacy of char applications to our farm, forest and garden soils?

Dr. Lehmann leads the Soil Biogeochemistry & Soil Fertility Management
Program at Cornell University’s Dept. of Crop and Soil Science. He is
arguably the lead scientist – worldwide – in the study of biochar.
Please review his CV at:

http://css.cals.cornell.edu/cals/css/people/faculty.cfm?netid=cl273

Professor Lehmann is also co-founder and Chair of the Board of
the International Biochar Initiative (IBI), and member of the
editorial boards of Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, Plant and
Soil. From the IBI website:

http://www.biochar-international.org/board/advisorycommittee#johannes

This important seminar is hosted by UVM and Vermont’s ‘Biochar
Project,’ a collection of academics, farmers, forest owners, policy
makers and others that have developed an interest in bringing biochar
to Vermont for the purposes of improving our forests, producing green
energy, sequestering carbon in soils while at the same time exploring
the prospects of a new, very ‘green’ industry that can provide jobs
manufacturing and marketing the type of earth-friendly products that
have become Vermont’s trademark.

TO RESERVE A SEAT AT THE SEMINAR, YOU MUST PAY IN ADVANCE

Cost is $20 per person. Please make checks payable to: ‘Biochar
Vermont Initiative’, c/o Thom McEvoy, 705 Spear St., S. Burlington, VT
05403. Registrations WILL NOT be confirmed, but those who pay in
advance are guaranteed a seat. If you’re feeling lucky, we will
accept registrations at the door but the price is $25 per person.

Full announcement upload as a PDF. Find the file "A Future for
Biochar in Vermont4.pdf" in the files section.