Association of Warm Season Grass Producers

Will Brandau

Aug 31, 2016, 9:00:11 AM8/31/16
to Grass Energy
Back in April a group of people interested in Warm Season Grass met in State College.  Supported by Penn State University and Penn State Extension they formed this association.

The group has multiple objectives:
Promotes the planting and use of warm-season grasses
Works to maximize the profitability of these crops for local farmers
Assists in educating growers on the implementation of best practices for managing and harvesting these crops
Supports and encourages entrepreneurial activity that further develops the use of warm-season grasses in all areas of agriculture

Although the group was formed in Pennsylvania, participation is not limited to PA individuals.  Anyone can join.  We have 3 levels of membership; individual, producer, and business.  Membership dues are very modest; individual $10 producer $25 business $40  Applications for membership are available on the website at AWSGP

We already have a number of projects in the works.  We applied for a Value Added Producer Grant to explore the feasibility of using wsg as bedding in poultry houses.  We have a SARE Grant application in progress, we are doing demonstrations making pellets (the PTO mill running) , teaching the techniques of pellet production, and applying for 501 c3 status.