App Server for GWT 2.10

Valavanur Man

Sep 20, 2022, 11:59:48 AM9/20/22
to GWT Users
Hi,

We are running GWT 2.8 with Glassfish4.  We had issues trying to run the GWT (2.8) App in Glassfish 6.

Currently we are looking into upgrading to GWT 2.10. Would like you know what appservers are supported to run GWT 2.10 (even GWT 2.8 and beyond). Is there a recommended set of servers?

Appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Ralph Fiergolla

Sep 20, 2022, 2:49:14 PM9/20/22
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
GWT has no dependencies to any app server. Just use your preferred one (and look into your own code if you experience issues ;-))
Bon courage
Ralph

Jens

Sep 21, 2022, 7:34:01 AM9/21/22
to GWT Users
If you use GWT-RPC or RequestFactory you need to choose a servlet container that still uses javax.servlet instead of jakarta.servlet because both these GWT features have a servlet component using javax.servlet.

Other than that, you can choose whatever you want.

-- J.

Valavanur Man

Sep 21, 2022, 11:16:49 AM9/21/22
to GWT Users
Thanks. We had problems due to jakarta.servlet with Glassfish 6.0 when we attempted to migrate.
So was looking for a good replacement preferably open source.  Was thinking Payara, but if it goes jakarta route, we will have the same issue in the future.  Any suggestions?

Michael Conrad

Sep 21, 2022, 1:46:03 PM9/21/22
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
There is the jakarta migration utility. Supposed to convert wars from javax.* to jakarta.* for deployment. Tomcat also has a special deployment option for such.

Another approach to consider, depending on your needs, is spring boot run, maybe inside a docker container.