GWT Eclipse plug in

pierre...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2021, 6:06:12 AM10/4/21
to GWT Users
Hi,

I am using GWT Eclipse  plug in eclipse 2019-12.

Afer installing another plugin (JBoss Toosl),  the GWT plugin was  completly broken.
I tried many thing remove Jboss - reinstall GWT without success.

Then, I installed a new eclipse + GWT plugin but the result is still the same.
GWT plugin is install successfully but nothing from it appears.

Thanks in avance for any help

Best, Pierre

lofid...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2021, 5:26:42 PM10/5/21
to GWT Users
I wouldn't use the Eclipse Plugin anymore, just use Maven and you are ready for the future.

It's quite simple, no need to use Eclipse plugin.

Hope this helps,
Lofi

pierre...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2021, 5:31:01 AM10/6/21
to GWT Users
Seem to be more an eclipse and constraint environment (Hospital) incompatibility.
I had to take an older version eclipse 2019-03 and then it's works.
No idea why but GWT and maven plugin are not broken anymore with this version.

lofid...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2021, 7:23:28 AM10/6/21
to GWT Users
The problem is the GWT Eclipse plugin is not maintained anymore, so it stops working in the newer versions...

As I said, I wouldn't use it anymore. Also ant.xml as build tool is deprecated. I would just use Maven quite easy.

Additional to the example above, there are also following examples for "StockWatcher GWT Example" but with Maven and newer ways:

Thanks, Lofi

pierre...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 10:08:37 AM10/7/21
to GWT Users
Thanks Lofi,
Yes I agree for the future app but I have legacy apps mixing backend using a plugin (no maven) and gwt with shared classes.
Migrating to maven will be a major change for 0 benefit if even possible.
At least even the path with this funny /src/main/java for maven will make both part incompatible.
It was easier for me to use an old eclipse version with the 2 plugins and continue like this until the apps are abandonned.
Pierre

lofid...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2021, 4:19:34 PM10/7/21
to GWT Users
Yes, it always a problem to migrate... 😅

I've experienced this a long time ago with Ant, which we wanted to move to Maven. I created a framework to make the migration from Ant to Maven semi automatically:

Maybe I would have some time to implement GWT Ant to Maven migration so that all those old Ant projects can be transformed into the new Maven structure... Also to separate the "frontend" from the "backend" part (best practice in GWT).

I'm doing some stuffs in migrations / transformations: new article: https://bit.ly/AppsMigration 😉

Thanks,
Lofi

Craig Mitchell

Oct 7, 2021, 7:34:18 PM10/7/21
to GWT Users
My project is very simple, so Maven would be an unnecessary complication for me.  The GWT Eclipse plugin works great.  Eclipse 2021-06.  Windows 10.

lofid...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2021, 4:47:03 AM10/8/21
to GWT Users
Actually Maven is not complicated...

A lot more easier than Eclipse Plugin ;-)

... and you'll become independent from Eclipse or you stay with Eclipse and you have the Maven integration directly in standard Eclipse, no need to install plugin...

OK, in my case all the webapps are managed with CI / CD, so, this is a must. But I feel also without this requirement, Maven is just better and easier than doing the stuff manually in IDE.

My 2 cents ;-)

Craig Mitchell

Oct 8, 2021, 6:46:41 AM10/8/21
to GWT Users
A lot easier then going here http://gwt-plugins.github.io/documentation/gwt-eclipse-plugin/Download.html, dragging and dropping the install button, and clicking confirm?  I really don't think so.  ;-)

I have used Maven in projects.  It's sometimes great, but often not.  Things like it caching the fact that it couldn't find a library, so when you correct the artifactory, it still says it can't find it, because you have to clear its cache (which is a nightmare of searching through this massive .m2 directory).  And you have to explicitly tell it it's okay to get a snapshot library.  And don't get me started on the fact that they didn't even bother creating an installer for it on Windows, you have to extract the zip, and add the directory to your path manually.  *maven rant over*

Michael Conrad

Oct 8, 2021, 7:27:20 AM10/8/21
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I vote for Gradle.

lofid...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2021, 12:07:13 PM10/8/21
to GWT Users
@Craig: ;-) Maven AI starts... I'm a Maven robot :-)

You don't need to install Maven on any platforms... Just use the one which included in Eclipse / VSC / IntelliJ... Yes, Eclipse has an integrated Maven version in each distro.

So yes it is easier, since you don't need to install anything in Eclipse ;-)

To create a new project, if you use TBroyer Maven Archetype, just use "new Maven project" and you can search for "net.ltgt.gwt.archetypes" in the filter. Doc about this: https://github.com/tbroyer/gwt-maven-archetypes (gwt-boot still doesn't have an archetype ;-) but anyway the pom.xml is quite simple)

To run also very simple with Eclipse: "run as... Maven build...". You then can save e.g. "clean install" in that run config and can use it repeatable with just one click. So very Eclipse like ;-)

I cannot see it easier, also not with the GWT Eclipse plugin...

My 2 robot cents

lofid...@gmail.com

Oct 8, 2021, 12:28:44 PM10/8/21
to GWT Users
@m.conr...

OK, Gradle is really not necessary ;-) See Maven vs. Gradle -- The Discussion That Never Ends

My 2 Maven robot cents ;-)