gwtproject.org migration, https support

Colin Alworth

Mar 28, 2022, 11:37:20โ€ฏAM3/28/22
to GWT Contributors
We've successfully migrated the gwtproject.org website to a new domain name server and new hosting, at Google's request. There are a few small differences from the old hosting:

  • HTTPS is now supported and enabled, though not yet mandatory, to allow a period of migration, and making sure that no downstream tools will break as a result of these changes. HSTS is also disabled for now. I propose that mid-week I will update this to always redirect to HTTPS, and then in another two or three weeks consider enabling HSTS if there have been no reported issues.
  • The samples.gwtproject.org domain now redirects to the showcase, rather than giving a confusing 500 error. The samples are still at this time hosted as static content rather than servlets.
  • The GWT application that enhances the documentation has been updated, picking up changes published ~2 years ago.
  • Deep links that omit "www." (for example gwtproject.org/doc/latest/DevGuide.html) will now redirect to the expected page (in this case www.gwtproject.org/doc/latest/DevGuide.html) rather than redirecting only to www.gwtproject.org.

Building and deployment of the new site is currently described at https://github.com/Vertispan/gwtproject.org, and should be hostable with or without DNS entries or HTTPS (though handling your own dns for "gwtproject.org" itself may eventually conflict with HSTS). The README contains some basic details on how the hosting is structured and how to run on any arbitrary server. There is also a TODO list at https://github.com/Vertispan/gwtproject.org/blob/main/TODO.md, which could eventually be migrated to actual github issues.

This could have been implemented through a similar build process that then pushed to github-pages, but at least for now we decided against this. Once some kind of continuous integration is in place to create pre-built artifacts for gwt-site-webapp and gwt-site itself, it might make sense to reconsider this, but for samples it still may make sense to use custom hosting to phase out the current static-only samples and provide some samples which can interact in some way with the server.

If there are no objections to the current layout, configuration, deployment, and documentation, I propose migrating this project to github.com/gwtproject, as well as following up on the bullet points of the TODO list.

Juan Pablo Gardella

Mar 28, 2022, 11:44:19โ€ฏAM3/28/22
to GWT Contributors
Thanks Colin! Great work

Goktug Gokdogan

Mar 28, 2022, 6:11:24โ€ฏPM3/28/22
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com

Max Fromberger

Apr 3, 2022, 3:14:24โ€ฏAM4/3/22
to GWT Contributors
Nice; sounds like a lot of work. Thank you