Java 9, 10 JRE emulation reviews

Colin Alworth

Jan 30, 2019, 1:31:26 PM1/30/19
to GWT Contributors
Hey all, anyone want to review some code?

Right around the new year, I finished up a first cut of all of the features mentioned so far on https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/issues/9547, including tests. The first patch is at https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/21501, with a tentative -1 from me to keep anyone from merging it until we're sure about the approaches I took there, and about how to get the build to run on something newer than Java 8. The full set of diffs can be seen at https://github.com/niloc132/gwt/commits/java9-collections, though in a fairly raw state, with the intention of splitting out changes piece by piece to land upstream.

Can anyone take a glance at that so we can think about merging it, and starting to look at the later patches in that stream? Likewise, has someone had the chance to look at Java 9+ support for our ant build?

Goktug Gokdogan

Jan 30, 2019, 9:03:45 PM1/30/19
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
If somebody could start doing the reviews esp. wrt APIs and +1, I can review wrt implementation.

Jens

Jan 31, 2019, 2:35:15 AM1/31/19
to GWT Contributors

 Likewise, has someone had the chance to look at Java 9+ support for our ant build?

I tried building GWT a few days ago with Java 11. Seems like we first have to apply the patch of Andrei (https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/20000) and then make javadoc API available to https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/tree/master/build_tools/doctool as the build of that project does not find JavaDoc classes (Taglet and such). Finally one has to disable errorprone compiler by making sure that the ant variable "isJava8" is actually only true when using Java8 (currently it is true for anything Java 8+, see https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/blob/master/common.ant.xml#L32). Maybe it would be better to add a variable "isJvmErrorproneCompatible" and use that in the ant script.

-- J.

Thomas Broyer

Feb 1, 2019, 6:17:35 AM2/1/19
to GWT Contributors

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 8:35:15 AM UTC+1, Jens wrote:

 Likewise, has someone had the chance to look at Java 9+ support for our ant build?

I tried building GWT a few days ago with Java 11. Seems like we first have to apply the patch of Andrei (https://gwt-review.googlesource.com/c/gwt/+/20000) and then make javadoc API available to https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/tree/master/build_tools/doctool as the build of that project does not find JavaDoc classes (Taglet and such). Finally one has to disable errorprone compiler by making sure that the ant variable "isJava8" is actually only true when using Java8 (currently it is true for anything Java 8+, see https://github.com/gwtproject/gwt/blob/master/common.ant.xml#L32). Maybe it would be better to add a variable "isJvmErrorproneCompatible" and use that in the ant script.

Actually, as we no longer build on Java 7, we should embrace the new way of using Error Prone (and possibly update it at the same time), using -Xplugin:ErrorProne, and for JDK 8 prepending Error Prone's Javac to the bootclasspath.