Extracting jsinterop-annotations?

Peter Donald

Mar 29, 2019, 12:06:54 AM3/29/19
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The jsinterop annotation jar is shipped as an independent artifact and along with jsinterop-base and elemental2 seems to be among the artifacts that will be shared between GWT2.x and J2CL. I would like to see it moved to a separate top level project and am happy to do the work to make it so.

My feeling is that it is basically maintained by the J2CL team so it seems like a good idea to formalise this.  "git log" seems to indicate that most of the changes were done by google engineers with the exception of one commit by Thomas Broyer.

So I think a reasonable approach would be to basically extract it as 'google/jsinterop-annotations' project on github using Bazel modelled after jsinterop-base and friends. If that makes people uncomfortable I also went and nabbed the "jsinterop" github organization so it could be added as a project such as https://github.com/jsinterop/annotations or https://github.com/jsinterop/jsinterop-annotations

The jsinterop annotations currently live in the user/src/jsinterop/annotations directory within GWT. It would be relatively easy to extract the code from their, preserving history of changes and put it in a new repository with a new build system.

Thoughts?,

Peter Donald

Goktug Gokdogan

Mar 29, 2019, 3:57:15 PM3/29/19
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
Yes, google/jsinterop-annotations was the plan all along however unfortunately most of the work is on our side and we couldn't get back to it.

Peter Donald

Mar 29, 2019, 10:54:49 PM3/29/19
On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 6:57 AM 'Goktug Gokdogan' via GWT Contributors <google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Yes, google/jsinterop-annotations was the plan all along however unfortunately most of the work is on our side and we couldn't get back to it.

Is there any value in me trying to extract a repository for this or would that cause more work for you?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Goktug Gokdogan

Apr 4, 2019, 6:45:13 PM4/4/19
to google-web-toolkit-contributors
Sorry for the late response. The work of creating the repo is tiny but wiring everything especially internally is plenty of work. The current annotations in opensource is also missing J2CL specific ones that we need to export as well so I don't see much value of you trying to extract a repository.

Is there a particular reason that you would like to get this one sooner than later other than generally cleaning things up and reducing deps?

Peter Donald

Apr 4, 2019, 7:27:11 PM4/4/19
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
I was just hoping to release a copy to Maven Central and thought it may be useful to do the extraction at the same time ... and just general cleaning up ;)

No rush.

Cheers,

Peter Donald