Google Teacher Newsletter - Edition 3

Google Educator Outreach

Jul 17, 2007, 2:01:00 PM7/17/07
to Google Teacher Center
Hello and welcome to the third issue of the Google Teacher Newsletter.

We hope your summer is off to a smashing start and that many of you
are enjoying a much deserved break. Here at Google, we're catching
our breath after the National Educational Computing Conference (NECC)
in Atlanta, where we set up a booth and a teaching theater. If we met
you at NECC, thanks for stopping by our booth -- and if you
participated in our scavenger hunt or attended a presentation by one
of our Google Certified Teachers, we hope you found them useful for
exploring the ins and outs of Google tools. We've heard from many of
you that you'd like to get your hands on those presentations, so we've
posted them here: http://www.google.com/educators/activities.html
Even if you didn't get a chance to see them in person, you're free to
check them out for fresh ideas on how to use some of our tools in your
classroom.

Over the past couple of months since we sent out the last newsletter,
we've been excited to see the conversations take off in our teacher
community (http://groups.google.com/group/google-for-educators). It's
also been great to get your email, which has been chock full of
questions and ideas. One request we've seen again and again: "I love
using Google Notebook -- why don't you feature it on the site?" So
what's Google Notebook, you ask? It's a tool that lets you easily
browse, clip, and organize information you find on the web, and access
it in a single online location. You can even share a notebook with
colleagues or students so you can collaborate on gathering online
resources. If you'd like to learn more, follow this link to the
Google for Educators site: http://www.google.com/educators/p_notebook.html

We also heard from teachers who were happy to discover that they can
protect younger students by creating a Google-hosted Custom Search
Engine (CSE) that limits searches to the child-safe sites they
select. And the possibilities don't stop there: you can create a
customized search engine for any topic you choose, so your search
results are always relevant and appropriate for your audience. You
can also invite your fellow teachers to help you build a CSE, pooling
your knowledge and expertise to better serve your students. If you're
interested in creating your own CSE, follow the steps listed here:
http://www.google.com/educators/p_cse.html

Since we know you have your summer to go out and enjoy, we won't keep
you any longer -- the beach is calling. See you in September!

Cheers,
Cristin Frodella
Google K-12 Education Outreach