Google Teacher Newsletter - Summer 09 Edition

Google Educator Outreach

Jul 16, 2009, 8:57:22 PM7/16/09
to Google-Tea...@googlegroups.com
Hello Teachers,

Whether we had the chance to meet you last month at the National Education Computing Conference or you've been a longtime subscriber to our newsletter, we hope you're settling nicely into your summer vacation and enjoying some well-deserved time off.  We have lots to share with you in this installment of our newsletter, so let's get started!

First off, Google has just announced that we will now be offering free email security – powered by Postini – to all current and new eligible K12 Google Apps Education Edition accounts that opt-in to Postini by July, 2010.  Google Message Security lets administrators limit messages based on who they are from, where they are going, or the content they contain. Message rules can be applied to groups of users (like younger students, older students, and teachers), allowing your IT department to customize the messaging rules for their users to meet individual needs.  If you are an administrator of Google Apps, this feature is available on your dashboard now.  To learn more about free Google Message Security with Google Apps, check out: http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2009/07/todays-day-signups-open-for-free-google.html

If you're just getting interested or started with Google Apps Education Edition, you may have a lot of questions.  Like, "How can I use these tools in my classroom, what are other schools/teachers doing, where can I find out the newest news about Google Apps, how have other teachers gotten their administrations to adopt Google Apps in their schools."  Well, we've got just the thing for you!  To celebrate educators and support Google Apps in the K-12 space, we've launched the Google Apps Education Community site at:
http://edu.googleapps.com/
There you'll be able to watch tip videos, read our blogs and have forum discussions with your fellow educators.  We've also collected more than 20 classroom-ready lesson plans across at our Apps Education Resource Center:
www.google.com/apps/eduresources
We plan on collecting many more educational resources from teachers like you, so please be sure to visit both sites to see how you can contribute.

Next up, Google's first name - SEARCH!  Web search can be a very helpful tool for students and teachers alike, but we've heard from many of you that you could use more help in learning how to efficiently search and then impart that wisdom to your students.  Because of that, the Google Certified Teachers developed Search Education lessons to help you with that.  They've developed three modular lessons not specific to any discipline so you can mix and match what best fits your needs.  And all of the lessons come with presentations which will help guide your classroom discussions. You'll learn fundamentals of search (which includes judging the validity of sources), search techniques and practices (for more advanced searches), and features and functionality (to learn some neat tips and tricks).  Check out all of the lessons here:
http://www.google.com/educators/p_websearch.html

To round out our news, Google has reached a groundbreaking agreement with authors and publishers that will make millions of books more accessible in the U.S. Already, Google Book Search makes books much easier to find -- you can search across the text of over 10 million books, learn where to get a book in a store or library, and even read the entirety of public domain works. Under our agreement with rights-holders, anyone, anywhere in the US will be able to view full pages from and purchase complete access to millions of in-copyright, out-of-print books that today are only accessible to those who can walk into a library like Stanford University's. In addition, educational institutions will be able to purchase institutional subscriptions to offer their students and teachers complete access to millions of  books.  Learn more about this agreement and what it means for educators here:
http://books.google.com/settlement

You can also join a webinar with Google Policy Analyst Derek Slater this week - more details here:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dhrx7s69_1mtzcntdj

We hope the sunny days are calling you outside and away from your computer (or handheld, even) so we won't keep you another minute.  Enjoy the rest of your break and we look forward to catching up when you get back to school!

Cheers,
Dana Nguyen
Google Product Marketing Manager

Google for Educators