Google Teacher Newsletter - Google Science Fair Semi-Finalists and Voting, GTA Seattle and more

Google Educator Outreach

May 10, 2011, 6:51:41 PM5/10/11
to google-teacher-center
Hello Educators,
Once again, we've got a full plate of Google-related education news for you. So without further ado, featured in this newsletter:
  • Google Science Fair - Semi-finalists announced, Voting Gallery Open!
  • Google Teacher Academy @Seattle, WA 7/28
  • 32 Ways to Use Google Apps in the Classroom
  • YOUTUBE EDU Adds Teacher-Focused Content
  • Statewide Google SketchUp Pro for K-12 Schools
  • AGoogleaday.com - Daily Puzzle to Help Make Search Efficient
Google Science Fair - Semi-finalists announced, Voting Gallery Open!
The results are in for the inaugural Google Science Fair!  We received more than 7,500 projects from 10,000 students from more than 90 countries across the world and we’ve selected our top 60 projects.  Please take a look at our online gallery and vote for your favorite project in each age group between now and midnight PST on May 20th.  On Monday, May 23rd, we’lll announce our People’s Choice winner, who will take home a $10,000 scholarship.  We’ll also announce our top 15 finalists, who will be flown to Mountain View for our finalist event and celebration to take place on July 11th, 2011.  The submissions were amazing and we’re so excited to be able to celebrate our young scientists; please be sure to check out their projects and help us get the vote out: http://www.google.com/events/sciencefair/vote.html

Google Teacher Academy @Seattle, WA 7/28
We're excited to offer our next Google Teacher academy this summer in the beautiful Pacific Northwest at the Google office in Seattle on July 28th (with an optional unconference on July 29th) at the Google office in Seattle.  We are accepting applications from all over the world, so polish up your writing and video skills and apply by 11:59 PM PDT on June 16, 2011.  For more information, please visit our site: http://www.google.com/educators/gta.html

32 Ways to Use Google Apps in the Classroom
Are you wondering about how you could do amazing things with Google Apps in the classroom? Well, wonder no more. We've gathered some great examples shared with us by wonderful teachers all over the world and here are 32 Ways to Use Google Apps in the Classroom / http://goo.gl/r0U3w
YOUTUBE EDU Adds Teacher-Focused Content
Earlier this quarter YouTube EDU began to broaden its scope of offerings to include educational content for all ages.  Already home to lectures from 400 of the world's leading universities, YouTube EDU expanded its reach to include Khan Academy as well as teacher training content, signing its first ever teacher-focused EDU partner, Teaching Channel. Teaching Channel is a Gates Foundation-funded organization that provides professional development and best practices to teachers. Their videos range from Lesson Ideas, discussions about teaching with instructional experts, to "Tough to Teach" tips.  Check out http://www.YouTube.com/EDU for more great high-quality educational content!

Statewide Google SketchUp Pro for K-12 Schools
K-12 schools all over the world are using Google SketchUp. Take a look at student Eric Yam’s space colony or Andrew Nathanson’s workshop presentation if you’re looking for inspiration. We made this short video to highlight other great SketchUp work in K-12 education.  Though lots of schools use the free version of SketchUp, we’d prefer that they get Google SketchUp Pro 8. We offer a special, no-cost license grant to U.S. states, Canadian provinces, and other international equivalents that want to install SketchUp Pro in every single one of their K-12 schools. Visit the SketchUp Pro Statewide K-12 License Grant website for information about signing up and invite your state (or provincial) technology director to apply / https://sites.google.com/site/sketchupprok12statewidegrant/how-to-sign-up

AGoogleaday.com - Daily Puzzle to Help Make Search Efficient
On April 11th Google launched a new daily puzzle to help teachers and students learn how to search more effectively.  AGoogleADay.com presents an ever-changing search challenge that exercises your internet search skills, and if you get stumped, there's a solution path just one click away to show you how to solve the problem.  In the first two weeks, AGoogleADay.com has had more than 300K visitors, all coming to learn what's possible on Google, challenge their Google-Fu, and learn a bit more about what can be done to improve your search skills.  As the Official Google blog post points out, it's the first game where using Google isn't prohibited, but required! Try it out at: http://www.AGoogleADay.com

We hope that all this news gives you a little to chew on for a while; it's certainly keeping us busy. We hope you're enjoying the school years (and what is nearing the end of the school year for those in the Northern Hemisphere) and we look forward to being in touch soon!

Cristin Frodella
Google K-12 Education Outreach

Google for Educators
http://www.google.com/educators