Google Teacher Newsletter - Breakthrough Learning Edition

Google Educator Outreach

Oct 19, 2009, 8:04:42 PM10/19/09
to google-teacher-center
Google Teacher Newsletter - the Breakthrough Learning Edition

Welcome to the fall, teachers!  Or for you East-Coasters like me, welcome to what feels like an early winter.  We've got lots to report in this issue of our teacher newsletter, including open applications for our next Google Teacher Academy, live broadcast info for our education forum Breakthrough Learning in a Digital Age, and more on Google Apps Education Edition, including a pre-recorded webinar with a school success story.  So without further ado, let's get started.

We're excited to announce that Google is hosting Breakthrough Learning in a Digital Age:  http://www.google.com/events/digitalage, a large education forum on October 27th and 28th.  In what's sure to be a spirited couple of days of discussion, Google, the Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop, and Common Sense Media, together with our title sponsor, the MacArthur Foundation will welcome 200 of the nation's top thought-leaders in education, policy, media, research and philanthropy to brainstorm methods to "refresh and reboot" American global leadership in education.  By harnessing the largely untapped potential of digital media, we will work to create and act upon a breakthrough strategy for scaling-up effective models of teaching and learning for children.  We know this topic is very close to your hearts, so we invite you to join our live broadcast on the 27th at:  http://investor.shareholder.com/googpr/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=72855 and on the 28th at:  http://investor.shareholder.com/googpr/eventdetail.cfm?eventid=72857.  Follow us on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/brkthrulearning, read our blog:  http://breakthroughlearning.blogspot.com/ and, be sure to send us your questions, ideas and feedback both before, during and after the Forum at our Google Moderator page:  http://moderator.appspot.com/#16/e=c77db.  The panel discussions throughout the day will be shaped by the most popular questions posted and voted on at that Moderator page, so please be sure to get involved!

You asked for it, so we're bringing it - a Google Teacher Academy:  http://www.google.com/educators/gta to a city we've yet to visit - this time around, Washington, D.C.  Applications are open today for our next GTA which will take place on Wednesday, December 9th from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.  The Google Teacher Academy is a FREE professional development experience designed to help K-12 educators get the most from innovative technologies. Each Academy is an intensive, one-day event where participants get hands-on experience with Google's free products and other technologies, learn about innovative instructional strategies, receive resources to share with colleagues, and immerse themselves in an innovative corporate environment. Upon completion, Academy participants become Google Certified Teachers who share what they learn with other K-12 educators in their local region.  The GTA is open to teachers all over the world, but participants must pay for their own travel and lodging, if necessary.  Apply here by midnight of Monday, November 9th:  https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dFc3NWtCcVZXT0tLcEFQdG1MVFFJYnc6MA

Thinking about switching to Google Apps for your school or district? On October 6, Google Apps Education Edition hosted a webinar with Maine Township High School District. Maine Township gave a presentation on how they saved $35,000 by switching 7,000 accounts to Google Apps. They discussed why they made the switch and the results they have seen so far. You can watch a recording of their presentation and the Q&A session here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrq0OMiKmXA. You can also read the Q&A Transcript and see links to the presentation and audience questions here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddv49vkt_34c7tr86fj

We have this webinar and more available with other resources at the new Google Apps Resource Center: http://www.google.com/a/help/intl/en/edu/resource_center.html

To get you even more excited about Google Apps, we thought it might be helpful to show you how some teachers are using the tools for teaching: www.google.com/apps/eduresources but we'd also like to open up the lesson plans to anybody who has a great idea of using Apps in the classroom. Tell us about your lesson plan with this submission form: https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/google.com/viewform?hl=en&zx=1247027593066&formkey=dDRoOEV2LV9VSXpMNmRFTHRrMlROdEE6MA

Phew - well we think we've given you enough to digest in this issue.  We hope to "see" you on October 27th and 28th during our broadcast and hope to get your feedback at our moderator page.  And maybe we'll see you in DC, too.  You'll hear from us again early next year.  Till then, have a safe, happy and healthy holiday season.

Cheers,
Cristin Frodella
Google Product Marketing Manager

Google, Inc.