2nd Hand Google Mini 0020 - can't access anything

Yovarni Yearwood

Feb 21, 2015, 10:56:03 AM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I've recently bought a Google Mini 0020 off of ebay and I was wondering how to go about resetting the admin password. I tried connecting the mini to my laptop using an ethernet cable through the orange port (LAN 2) and going to http://192.168.255.1:1111/ but it says the webpage is not available. Any advice?

Mathias Bierl

Feb 21, 2015, 11:20:13 AM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Did you get a valid IP address from the GSA on your Laptop ?

If not you can try restarting it and view over a monitor if there are some error messages.

But because Google Mini is out of support you will have no chance if there is a software or hardware defect

Yovarni Yearwood

Feb 21, 2015, 11:37:24 AM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
When you say a valid IP address do you mean a 192.138.255.254/255.255.255.0 configuration?

Mathias Bierl

Feb 21, 2015, 11:50:32 AM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Yes but with 192.168.255.x

Yovarni Yearwood

Feb 21, 2015, 12:09:27 PM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah my IPv4 Address is 192.168.255.254; Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0; DHCP Server is 192.168.255.1

Mathias Bierl

Feb 21, 2015, 12:24:48 PM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a proxy in Browser set ?

If yes disable it

Yovarni Yearwood

Feb 21, 2015, 12:48:15 PM2/21/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
None, sadly. Tried both IE and Chrome. I'm gonna try a different machine and hope that works.

Steven King

Feb 23, 2015, 6:37:45 PM2/23/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Occasionally during a software update on older machines the installation can become corrupt. On out of warranty machines this is an impossible fix. As Google doesn't make the Mini anymore, you'll be hard pressed to fix it unfortunately.

What could have happened is during an upgrade of the software/firmware that the installation failed in some way, so a complete upgrade couldn't be completed. Internally some services may not be starting / stopping correctly or configured anymore. As a result, the machine will appear to boot correctly and display all the "google" bits it usually does, but the admin console, certain web services, database etc might not be configured.

You could check a couple things - check CMOS date/time, make sure that's correct - so the machine doesn't freak out internally. If you know the old configuration, manually assign yourself an IP address in it's public range and see if you can see anything. Check to see if you can access the admin console via :8443 instead, which might work.

In my experience, a bad upgrade is normally to blame for the admin console going dark like that.

Steve.

Yovarni Yearwood

Mar 2, 2015, 9:08:30 AM3/2/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
Question: what's the network configuration supposed to look like? IP Address: 192.168.255.254; Subnet 255.255.255.0; Gateway 192.168.255.1; DNS 192.168.255.254?

Dave Watts

Mar 2, 2015, 9:45:25 AM3/2/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
> Question: what's the network configuration supposed to look like? IP
> Address: 192.168.255.254; Subnet 255.255.255.0; Gateway 192.168.255.1; DNS
> 192.168.255.254?

That's what it should look like on the internal configuration network.
You're only going to use this for the appliance configuration, and
don't need DNS.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
1-202-527-9569
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Software is a Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business
(SDVOSB) on GSA Schedule, and provides the highest caliber vendor-
authorized instruction at our training centers, online, or onsite.

Yovarni Yearwood

Mar 2, 2015, 10:37:12 AM3/2/15
to Dave Watts
On Windows 7, is the connection supposed to be classified as an unidentified network?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Mar 2, 2015, 10:47:21 AM3/2/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
> On Windows 7, is the connection supposed to be classified as an unidentified network?

I don't know, but it doesn't matter - it's just a network between your
laptop and the appliance, so the type of network and how you share
resources, etc, is irrelevant.

Yovarni Yearwood

Mar 2, 2015, 10:34:19 PM3/2/15
to Dave Watts
Okay so I've encountered what could be a great issue for me (if that makes sense.) The mini isn't getting an IP address when plugged into my network. I'm assuming that's because it's assigned a static one?

Steven King

Mar 2, 2015, 10:44:24 PM3/2/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com

Yes but you need to start in the console, using the dhcp from the box itself.

Once you've got a management ip, follow the instructions to do first time configure. If you can't see the console at all after following the instructions you may be in strife.

You can see if there are any major errors on the console by plugging a monitor in. This MAY show some extra info.

Steve

Dave Watts

Mar 2, 2015, 11:04:44 PM3/2/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
> Okay so I've encountered what could be a great issue for me (if that makes
> sense.) The mini isn't getting an IP address when plugged into my network.
> I'm assuming that's because it's assigned a static one?

Yes, the Mini doesn't use DHCP for its own address. The point of going
into the admin console is (primarily) to assign it an address on your
network. If you can't do this successfully, you won't be able to use
it.

Yovarni Yearwood

Mar 3, 2015, 8:31:32 PM3/3/15
to Dave Watts
Alright. First off, I want to say thanks so much for the help Mathias, Steven and Dave, you've really been great helps.

So for my last step before totally wiping  the box and putting something else on, I downloaded Wireshark and performed a couple packet sniffing tests. This is a new area for me, but I was able to determine that the administrative port is being assigned 192.168.255.1 as an IP and for whatever reason cannot be accessed using port 1111. I'm suspecting this is due to Steven's explanation of a botched update. I couldn't find a static IP on the other port, either.

Do you guys have any other ideas? My next step is to erase the HDD and put ubuntu server on so I can install elastisearch or yacy.

Dave Watts

Mar 3, 2015, 9:17:43 PM3/3/15
to Google-Search-...@googlegroups.com
> Do you guys have any other ideas? My next step is to erase the HDD and put
> ubuntu server on so I can install elastisearch or yacy.

Were you able to plug in a console and see anything on the screen? If
you were, and didn't see anything useful, then you might as well wipe