API version 3

howardh

Oct 21, 2013, 4:03:04 PM10/21/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hello.

We received the following email from Google today which says, in part:

As you may be aware, JavaScript Maps API v2 was scheduled for shutdown on May 19, 2013. After listening to your feedback we decided toextend the deprecation timeline by six months, to November 19, 2013 to allow more time for migration to v3 of the API.

On November 19, 2013 we will deploy a JavaScript wrapper that attempts to automagically turn remaining v2 maps into v3 maps. Though we expect this wrapper to work for most simple maps, we cannot guarantee that your maps will continue to function. We therefore highly recommend that you migrate to v3 before November 19. The good news is that Google Maps JavaScript API v3 is more robust and feature rich than v2, and we’ve written a guide to assist the migration.

We are a news organization and not particularly tech savvy.  Will we need to do anything on the web site to keep our current and future maps working?

Thanks.

Chouser

Nov 7, 2013, 10:31:17 AM11/7/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have no way of knowing whether GMapEZ will work well with their compatibility script, so it is certainly possible that  maps using GMapEZ 2.x will break on November 19th.

One option is to stop using GMapEZ and switch to Google's Maps Engine, which provides convenient interactive map editing and an easy way to embed them on your pages using iframes. This has the added benefit of depending only Google, instead of also depending on continuing GMapEZ releases from me.

That said, I am working on a new release of GMapEZ that will work directly with Google's 3.x API.  Not all of GMapEZs features will remain available as Google has removed some features we used to use (for example tabbed info windows and marker shadows). The new GMapEZ will do what it can to degrade gracefully when your map uses these features.  Again, I can't promise anything but I expect to have a usable version available before November 19th.  It will require you load it onto your web server and possible update your html to point to the new gmapez.js file.

I'm curious: how many of you are likely to use this new version of GMapEZ when it's available vs. moving away from GMapEZ entirely?
--Chouser

A. Mark Argentino, P.Eng., Broker

Nov 7, 2013, 8:48:34 PM11/7/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

Hello Chouser,

I would appreciate any efforts hat you use and I would use the new version of GMapEZ

Thanks for everything!

Mark

Chouser

Nov 19, 2013, 10:15:02 PM11/19/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Well, it looks like Google has broken GMapEZ by shutting down their v2 API.  I've updated the web site to use a new 3.0-beta1 version of GMapEZ, and you can too.  You will need a new Google Maps API, and then grab a copy of the new .js file:

http://gmapez.n01se.net/gmapez-3.0-beta1.js

--Chouser

Marius Coomans

Nov 19, 2013, 11:04:34 PM11/19/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chouser,

Arghh... our site stopped working (http://skipr.net). We can't have been paying attention. Any word on a new release?

Marius Coomans

howardh

Nov 20, 2013, 7:58:07 AM11/20/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

The new  v3 script works great!  Thank you for all your effort.  I have looked at many of my maps made over the years and everything seems to be intact... numbered markers, colored markers, custom markers, and lines.

That's 10,000+ maps saved.

Thanks again

jadamt

Nov 20, 2013, 8:16:19 AM11/20/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Same, here, though we don't have near as many maps thank you for the update!  Sending a donation your way!

Doug Dosdall

Nov 20, 2013, 5:04:18 PM11/20/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much!  I do plan to upgrade to v3 in the long run but this have saved me a panic upgrade on my maps.

Bill Moore

Nov 20, 2013, 7:32:54 PM11/20/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Chris.....  it's been ages since I worked with GMapEZ.   What's the secret to setting the zoom in closer?  I am attempting to put a pinpoint on a location on Aruba, but either nothing happens - meaning I see the street map of Oranjestad, but no pin -- or I get a map of  Fort Wayne.

bill

******************************
Bill Moore, Publisher
EV WORLD.COM
http://evworld.com
Papillion, NE 68046
United States of America
402.339.9877 ofc
202.280.0270 mobile
SKYPE:evworldhome
******************************

rei...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2013, 11:20:28 AM11/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Any guess on when the production version will be available?  Finding that the beta version does not work in IE 8 when using both regular mode and compatibility mode.  Also does not work in IE 10 in compatibility mode only.  Seems to work fine in Chrome and Firefox :)

Thanks for all your efforts!

Reid

Doug Dosdall

Nov 22, 2013, 1:14:03 PM11/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for posting this update. It has definitely taken the pressure off getting a solution of my own out for all my sites. I sent on a donation, thanks!

The only problem I'm having with the beta version is that when I click a link outside the map window to open an info window, the info window opens but the page doesn't scroll back up to the map like  it used to. So it's not entirely clear to the user that the link they've clicked has done anything.

You can see an example of this on one of my sites Puerto Vallarta Satellite -- open the homepage and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and click a link for an attraction (e.g. the Santa Barbara Theatre at the end). It doesn't appear to do anything when you click the link but then if you scroll back up to the map it has opened the requested info window.  If there's a quick fix for this, it would be appreciated!

Chouser

Nov 22, 2013, 1:42:36 PM11/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:32:54 PM UTC-5, EV World Editor wrote:
Chris.....  it's been ages since I worked with GMapEZ.   What's the secret to setting the zoom in closer?  I am attempting to put a pinpoint on a location on Aruba, but either nothing happens - meaning I see the street map of Oranjestad, but no pin -- or I get a map of  Fort Wayne.

Fort Wayne is a fantastic place. Why don't you want a map of Fort Wayne?

But seriously, the example here seems to work: http://gmapez.n01se.net/start.html#marker
If you can see how your HTML differs, that may be the clue you need.

--Chouser

Chouser

Nov 22, 2013, 1:44:38 PM11/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, November 22, 2013 11:20:28 AM UTC-5, rei...@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

Any guess on when the production version will be available?  Finding that the beta version does not work in IE 8 when using both regular mode and compatibility mode.  Also does not work in IE 10 in compatibility mode only.  Seems to work fine in Chrome and Firefox :)

Ah yes, I haven't tested in IE yet.  Sorry that's not working.  I'm afraid it will be a couple weeks before I can look into what IE is doing thing time.

--Chouser

Chouser

Nov 22, 2013, 1:46:29 PM11/22/13
to google-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, November 22, 2013 1:14:03 PM UTC-5, Doug Dosdall wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this report. The window-scrolling is something I knew was missing from this beta release.  It's on the list of features to bring back before the final release of GMapEZ 3.0

--Chouser