SSL support or Alternative

Jim Pennington

Jul 24, 2012, 7:40:09 AM7/24/12
to Google Maps EZ
Group,

As we all know, the support of GMAPEZ has fallen off, but I still have it active in my company (intranet) and it's used everyday and is very important to our daily operation. But I feel like it's time for me to abandon the product and re-write all my pages in native google maps or find an alternative product. The tricky part for me is that I'm not a developer by nature and all my map data is driven from SQL and displayed in classic ASP pages. I would like to keep as much of my ASP code as possible and just leverage some other mapping API.

We all know about BING and NOKIA (replaced yahoo), but anyone know of something like GMAPEZ for Google? Or am I better off to just bite the bullet and go native Google?

(the reason for the change is because I need SSL support)

Thank you and have a great day.

====================
Jim Pennington
jimmype...@gmail.com

Marius Coomans

Jul 25, 2012, 8:16:38 PM7/25/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Jim,

Would Google's Static Maps interface do the job? No javascript, static maps only.
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/staticmaps/#quick_example
 I had a fright the other day (as per another message on  this list) when the Google maps stopped working. Luckily it came good after about 20 minutes, I assume it was a google  upgrade in process. But a definite sign to start considering other options.

My site, http://skipr.net has been using Chouser's map interface since 2006 and it's about time I got off my bottom and upgraded to something else. I'd appreciate hearing what your decision is. Like you' I'd rather avoid jumping into more javascript.

Marius

Jim Pennington

Jul 28, 2012, 8:20:45 AM7/28/12
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marius,

I wish that a static map would be useful, but the users interact with the maps (panning, zooming and switching views) almost on all maps. I think I will have to bite the bullet and just roll up my selves and start planning and start coding.
Thanks for the post.

Jim
--
Jim Pennington