test

Gerald Antal Gamauf

Mar 9, 2014, 12:13:35 PM3/9/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
strange, patrick,
I've been using these forums for ages and my appends always seemed to be correct.
I'm startung this thread just for testing the format

The Real Bev

Mar 9, 2014, 2:08:56 PM3/9/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Just because it works doesn't mean it's correct. Since html occupies at
least triple the space of ordinary text, and some people STILL pay for
internet depending on how much they use, forcing people to download 3x
the necessary amount is just plain rude.

Moreover, your choice of font size may cause your readers a lot of
grief, especially if your idea of 'small' is my idea of 'illegibly tiny'
-- which it actually is in some cases.

I don't know why people worry about 'indexing' their photos. When I
upload mine from the sd card I change the filenames to the exact
date+time the picture was taken using jhead, which works for both linux
and windows. I suppose I could add a tag indicating what the picture
contains, but that's just way too much trouble.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Patrick B. Shanahan

Mar 9, 2014, 2:57:11 PM3/9/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [03-09-14 14:09]:
> On 03/09/2014 09:13 AM, Gerald Antal Gamauf wrote:
>
> >strange, patrick,
> >I've been using these forums for ages and my appends always seemed to be
> >correct.
> >I'm startung this thread just for testing the format
>
> Just because it works doesn't mean it's correct. Since html occupies
> at least triple the space of ordinary text, and some people STILL pay
> for internet depending on how much they use, forcing people to
> download 3x the necessary amount is just plain rude.
>
> Moreover, your choice of font size may cause your readers a lot of
> grief, especially if your idea of 'small' is my idea of 'illegibly
> tiny' -- which it actually is in some cases.
>
> I don't know why people worry about 'indexing' their photos. When I
> upload mine from the sd card I change the filenames to the exact
> date+time the picture was taken using jhead, which works for both
> linux and windows. I suppose I could add a tag indicating what the
> picture contains, but that's just way too much trouble.

I gave up :^)

ps:
alias rename2date='lc;exiv2 mv \-k \-r %y%m%d_%H%M%S_:basename: \.\/*.{nef,jpg}'

provides: dse_6475.jpg --> 140301_183244_dse_6475.jpg

the same is accomplishable with exiftool but much slower as exiftool is a
perl script where exiv2 is compiled code. Digikam, darktable and
rapidphotodownloader can also accomplish the same.

The Real Bev

Mar 9, 2014, 4:16:30 PM3/9/14
On 03/09/2014 11:57 AM, Patrick B. Shanahan wrote:

> * The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [03-09-14 14:09]:
>> On 03/09/2014 09:13 AM, Gerald Antal Gamauf wrote:
>>
>> >strange, patrick,
>> >I've been using these forums for ages and my appends always seemed to be
>> >correct.
>> >I'm startung this thread just for testing the format
>>
>> Just because it works doesn't mean it's correct. Since html occupies
>> at least triple the space of ordinary text, and some people STILL pay
>> for internet depending on how much they use, forcing people to
>> download 3x the necessary amount is just plain rude.
>>
>> Moreover, your choice of font size may cause your readers a lot of
>> grief, especially if your idea of 'small' is my idea of 'illegibly
>> tiny' -- which it actually is in some cases.
>>
>> I don't know why people worry about 'indexing' their photos. When I
>> upload mine from the sd card I change the filenames to the exact
>> date+time the picture was taken using jhead, which works for both
>> linux and windows. I suppose I could add a tag indicating what the
>> picture contains, but that's just way too much trouble.
>
> I gave up :^)

Wuss!

> ps:
> alias rename2date='lc;exiv2 mv \-k \-r %y%m%d_%H%M%S_:basename: \.\/*.{nef,jpg}'
>
> provides: dse_6475.jpg --> 140301_183244_dse_6475.jpg
>
> the same is accomplishable with exiftool but much slower as exiftool is a
> perl script where exiv2 is compiled code. Digikam, darktable and
> rapidphotodownloader can also accomplish the same.

Putting shifted characters in filenames is EVIL. This is my 'canon3' (I
have several others depending on where the USB cardreader happens to be
mounted) script:

mount /dev/sde1 /sde1
cp /sde1/DCIM/10*/* /canon/new/
umount /sde1
jhead -nf%Y%m%d-%H%M%S /canon/new/*.JPG
jhead -ft *.jpg
cd /canon/new

It yields stuff like 20140224-132453.jpg

I copy the originals I want to save to a separate subdirectory, use
picasa to edit (and reduce to 1600xwhatever) these and export them to a
/new/ subdirectory, upload them to the picasa website, move them to my
/photos/good/ subdirectory and clear out the /canon/new subdirectory. I
try to run a complete system backup every few weeks or so.

Can I install picasa 3.9 completely separate from the 3.0 I've used
forever or will it just write over my current installation?

--
Cheers, Bev
"If the Eskimos have a thousand different words for "snow," does this

Patrick B. Shanahan

Mar 9, 2014, 5:40:20 PM3/9/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [03-09-14 16:18]:
[...]
> Putting shifted characters in filenames is EVIL. This is my 'canon3'
> (I have several others depending on where the USB cardreader happens
> to be mounted) script:

whatever floats yer boat :^), dash could be substituted.

> mount /dev/sde1 /sde1
> cp /sde1/DCIM/10*/* /canon/new/
> umount /sde1
> jhead -nf%Y%m%d-%H%M%S /canon/new/*.JPG
> jhead -ft *.jpg
> cd /canon/new
>
> It yields stuff like 20140224-132453.jpg

My alias/script retains the original file name, and shooting sport
frequently I would have duplicate names by time entry using only time
which would not be hard to add an incremental character.

> I copy the originals I want to save to a separate subdirectory, use
> picasa to edit (and reduce to 1600xwhatever) these and export them to
> a /new/ subdirectory, upload them to the picasa website, move them to
> my /photos/good/ subdirectory and clear out the /canon/new
> subdirectory. I try to run a complete system backup every few weeks
> or so.

darktable retains originals by converting edits to an xml sidecar files
and has the ability to attach two or more edits to the same file that way.

> Can I install picasa 3.9 completely separate from the 3.0 I've used
> forever or will it just write over my current installation?

I believe you could accomplish this by using the fairly new graphical front-end
to wine, Swine, http://www.swine-tool.de/

Swine uses a similarity to crossover's bottles but call them slots. Make
a new slot and install picasa 3.9 in it, should retain the 3.0 version.
If not just reinstall 3.0 into another slot and then you would have both.

The question I see is sharing the database.

I installed 3.9: winetricks win7; wine ./picasa39-setup.exe

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks provides (altered to install picasa):
env WINEPREFIX=~/.picasa3.0 sh winetricks ./picasa3-setup.exe
env WINEPREFIX=~/.picasa3.9 sh winetricks ./picasa3.9-setup.exe

one install under ~/.picasa3.0 and another below ~/.picasa3.9

It does not appear my, winetricks win7; wine ./picasa39-setup.exe,
utilized the WINEPREFIX separation, but I would consider altering their
example with win7 which I believe uses win7 environment for the app:
env WINEPREFIX=~/.picasa3.0 sh 'winetricks win7 ;sh wine ./picasa3-setup.exe'
env WINEPREFIX=~/.picasa3.9 sh 'winetricks win7 ;sh wine ./picasa3.9-setup.exe'

warning, untested
pls advise result

gud luk,

The Real Bev

Mar 10, 2014, 2:08:10 AM3/10/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Thx. All things considered, this sounds like a more perilous (read:
more to learn) solution than just installing the latest windows picasa
in my virtualbox installation. I don't let Windows know about anything
on my linux machine except its own partition, but it's easy enough to
keep all the editing within windows and then just move stuff over to the
linux side of the shop.

It's even easier to just continue the status quo. I'm NOTHING if not
lazy :-(

We'll see...

--
Cheers, Bev
The beatings will continue until morale improves