Picasa on the web and Digikam is all you need.

Fox7799

Mar 2, 2014, 5:46:26 PM3/2/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Digikam works great for downloading and managing photos from your camera to your computer. Picasa web can then upload from your computer. You can send a link to an album by Email and have control over who sees your album. You can also Email a link to a single photo by enlarging that photo. You don't need Picasa installed on your computer and Google doesn't support it for Linux anyway.

Garthhh

Mar 5, 2014, 11:42:47 AM3/5/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Digikam has a fine batch uploader which works fine for Picasa/G+

Gerald Antal Gamauf

Mar 9, 2014, 12:15:58 PM3/9/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I guess the only reason for me using picasa3 (under windows) was that I didn't have all my photos in webpicasa.
I'll consider your advise.
thanks

Fox7799

Feb 13, 2015, 11:37:14 AM2/13/15
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
We have since moved on to Linux Mint 17.1 XFCE where the Thunar file manager recognizes the camera and can download photos. Then we upload to Picasa on the web but send out by Email only.

The Real Bev

Feb 13, 2015, 7:45:51 PM2/13/15
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
It sort of does, but I think it uses wine. Been so long I can't
remember, and the only thing I use wine for are google earth and picasa.
You used to be able to upload photos FROM your computer TO the picasa
web albums, but I guess they figured they couldn't expose you to enough
ads that way and now require you to go to the website and suck the
photos up from your computer. Minor annoyance.

Faster to copy using a card reader than directly from the camera. Last
I heard Canon refused to support linux in any way and the SANE and other
open source utilities are inadequate.

FWIW, jhead does a nice job of renaming photos with the exif dates,
which xv doesn't do -- xv doesn't even preserve that data; gimp will if
you tell it to.

Picasa does most of the photo editing that I want in a fairly painless
way. I'd like it to enlarge photos as well as shrink them and I'd like
it to fix the perspective as well as "straightening" the photos. I
could do both with gimp, but that's more trouble than I'm generally
willing to go to.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Attention: All virgins report to Paradise immediately!!

Patrick B. Shanahan

Feb 13, 2015, 9:08:26 PM2/13/15
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [02-13-15 19:47]:
[...]
> Picasa does most of the photo editing that I want in a fairly
> painless way. I'd like it to enlarge photos as well as shrink them
> and I'd like it to fix the perspective as well as "straightening" the
> photos. I could do both with gimp, but that's more trouble than I'm
> generally willing to go to.

Darktable has become my weapon of choice. The *only* time is see picasa
now is helping elderly people like myself to save and make minor edits and
maintain a library of their digital photos on windoz systems. I can
probably work 20 raw edits in darktable in the time it takes to do similar
actions to one in picasa, if it is even possible to do the same actions.

And darktable in FOSS and native to linux.