picasa in Linux-Ubuntu

Chiara Sibona

May 13, 2016, 1:41:47 PM5/13/16
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
da quando ho Linux-Ubuntu, picasa non funziona bene, e non carica le foto del disco D, le immagini sono solo sul C che ha meno memoria, le ho dovute spostare e da allora non ci sono più in picasa! cosa debbo fare? grazie
Chiara

Patrick B. Shanahan

May 13, 2016, 3:58:41 PM5/13/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Chiara Sibona <chiara...@gmail.com> [05-13-16 13:42]:
In an English speaking list (at least from the last 10 years or so), you
will not get much help when the majority of your audience cannot
understand your post.

The Real Bev

May 14, 2016, 1:28:39 AM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Apparently our picasa albums will be switched over to Google Photos,
which definitely seems like a degradation, especially since the captions
will apparently disappear. Is there any sort of upside to this?

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Patrick B. Shanahan

May 14, 2016, 6:56:19 AM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [05-14-16 01:30]:
> Apparently our picasa albums will be switched over to Google Photos, which
> definitely seems like a degradation, especially since the captions will
> apparently disappear. Is there any sort of upside to this?

With google's abandoning picasa and the multitude of superior available apps
for linux platforms, seem a very good time to exit stage right.

goodbye,

Dan Christensen

May 14, 2016, 9:37:37 AM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this is a good time to ask what linux tools people plan to use. I
haven't found a combination that works as smoothly as picasa+picasaweb.
The features I'm looking for are:

Basic photo editing:
- Edit photos on local hard drive, not online.
- Ability to remove red eye, one click auto-adjust ("I'm feeling lucky"),
rotate, crop.
- It's not essential, but I also like the way picasa leaves the original
files intact most of the time, and only stores concise instructions on
what to do to the photos, which are applied when viewing/uploading.
This allows infinite undo (even in another session), and makes backups
very efficient.

Synchronization with an online service:
- After uploading photos to picasaweb, if I make additional changes to
those photos, only the changed photos/captions are uploaded.
- Allow me to mark only a subset of the photos for upload. I usually
just upload the best photos, and keep others locally.

I haven't found any linux tools that do the above. I can live with the
available editors (or just continue to use picasa). But the tools for
uploading all seem to batch upload a full album, with no support for
uploading just what changed.

I'm curious what other linux users plan to do!

Dan

Patrick B. Shanahan

May 14, 2016, 10:13:06 AM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> [05-14-16 09:39]:
I use darktable which will do nearly all of the above but I must be much
more "hands on" than you as I cannot remember using "auto, I feel lucky.."
ever except on a cell phone, and I work thru > 50k images a year (might be
closer to 100k).

You do realize that picasa and similar apps deviate drastically from the
*nix path, simplify, do singular things very well and pass action on to
another app to perform next step.

sounds like: https://support.google.com/photos/answer/6128850?hl=en&rd=1
might be close to what you want.

fwiw, picasa was *never* a linux appp or even compiled for linux.

Guess I really don't belong here as the *only* time I see picasa (and
never *use* picasa) is to install on someone else's box or assist them
with usage problems.

shoot
download from chip to local directory
rename to date+orig-file-name
archive
import into darktable
work photos
export to jpg/png/...
add to whatever display (google,flickr,gallery2,...)
advise audience of new photos

Dan Christensen

May 14, 2016, 11:23:04 AM5/14/16
to Patrick B. Shanahan, google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
On May 14, 2016, "Patrick B. Shanahan" <pa...@opensuse.org> wrote:

> I use darktable which will do nearly all of the above but I must be much
> more "hands on" than you as I cannot remember using "auto, I feel lucky.."

Darktable is a great program, and I like a lot about it, but unless I'm
am confused, it can do almost none of the things I listed. It can't do
automatic red-eye removal, and it has no auto-enhance feature. And it
can't synchronize local changes to an online service.

I don't mind using multiple tools, but I haven't found a standalone
uploader that can do what I want either. If anyone knows of one, please
let me know.

Dan

Patrick B. Shanahan

May 14, 2016, 12:16:21 PM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> [05-14-16 11:24]:
Please don't cc/bcc me. I have read the list or would not have seen your
post.

dt will upload to some photo services, google+/flickr/facebook/... and as
I said, not interested in "auto enhancements" as they *usually* are not
what I desire. You *are* confused re your definition.

The Real Bev

May 14, 2016, 1:55:11 PM5/14/16
On 05/14/2016 06:37 AM, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Maybe this is a good time to ask what linux tools people plan to use. I
> haven't found a combination that works as smoothly as picasa+picasaweb.
> The features I'm looking for are:
>
> Basic photo editing:
> - Edit photos on local hard drive, not online.
> - Ability to remove red eye, one click auto-adjust ("I'm feeling lucky"),
> rotate, crop.
> - It's not essential, but I also like the way picasa leaves the original
> files intact most of the time, and only stores concise instructions on
> what to do to the photos, which are applied when viewing/uploading.
> This allows infinite undo (even in another session), and makes backups
> very efficient.

I really like "straighten" and I would be overjoyed if that capability
were extended to making vertical lines at the sides of wide-angle shots
VERTICAL like you can do with a view camera or GIMP, which is just a
pain in the ass to use. Aside from that wish, which I know isn't going
to happen, I'm happy using picasa. It saves exif info, which is
important, and allows me to easily reduce the storage size of the edited
photos. All told, it's pretty damn efficient for the minimal processing
I want to do.

I envy my friend her fancy DSLR, but not enough to be willing to haul
one and 20 pounds of accessories around with me.

> Synchronization with an online service:
> - After uploading photos to picasaweb, if I make additional changes to
> those photos, only the changed photos/captions are uploaded.
> - Allow me to mark only a subset of the photos for upload. I usually
> just upload the best photos, and keep others locally.

I save all the originals that don't suck too badly and the edited photos
on my computer, and I have at least half a dozen rotating backups (some,
of course, are incomplete -- I don't do them all at one time). I upload
the saved edited ones to share in case anybody wants to look. Picasa's
file/folder manipulation capabilities are sometimes kind of annoying,
but generally OK. I move my photos around by hand, so the local
'albums' are useless.

> I haven't found any linux tools that do the above. I can live with the
> available editors (or just continue to use picasa). But the tools for
> uploading all seem to batch upload a full album, with no support for
> uploading just what changed.

I liked it better when you could PUSH the upload from the computer
rather than having to suck it in from the picasaweb site, but I figure
they need to force you to see advertising in some way. I assume there's
advertising, of course -- thank you adblock plus!

> I'm curious what other linux users plan to do!

Bitch a lot. The goddam captions are IMPORTANT. I wish I wanted to
learn to use GIMP, but I don't. I used xv before picasa, and still do
if I want to do weird things with color, but I don't like losing the
exif data.

--
Cheers, Bev

Richard Dawson

May 14, 2016, 2:09:02 PM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

> * The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [05-14-16 01:30]:
>> Apparently our picasa albums will be switched over to Google Photos, which
>> definitely seems like a degradation, especially since the captions will
>> apparently disappear. Is there any sort of upside to this?
> With google's abandoning picasa and the multitude of superior available apps
> for linux platforms, seem a very good time to exit stage right.
>
> goodbye,
Before you go for good, please share your choices for Linux alternative
platforms.

Thank you,
Richard

The Real Bev

May 14, 2016, 4:56:25 PM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
=================from Picasa website================-------
Picasa Web Albums
If you have photos or videos in a Picasa Web Album today, the easiest
way to still access, modify and share most of that content is to log in
to Google Photos, and all your photos and videos will already be there.
Using Google Photos, you can continue to upload and organize your
memories, as well as enjoy other great benefits like better ways to
search and share your images.

However, for those of you who don’t want to use Google Photos or who
still want to be able to view specific content, such as tags, captions
or comments, we will be creating a new place for you to access your
Picasa Web Albums data. That way, you will still be able to view,
download, or delete your Picasa Web Albums, you just won’t be able to
create, organize or edit albums (you would now do this in Google Photos).

One thing to make clear is that none of this is happening today—if you
have a Picasa Web Album you can keep using it as normal. We’ll start
rolling out these changes on May 1, 2016.

So I guess we upload into and manage albums in Google Photos and then
view them in the NEW! IMPROVED! NOT PICASA! website...

--
Cheers, Bev
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dan Christensen

May 14, 2016, 7:32:49 PM5/14/16
On May 14, 2016, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I liked it better when you could PUSH the upload from the computer
> rather than having to suck it in from the picasaweb site, but I figure
> they need to force you to see advertising in some way.

I'm still able to push the upload from picasa to picasaweb. But I
suspect this will be turned off soon.

Dan

The Real Bev

May 14, 2016, 11:21:11 PM5/14/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Curious. That died for me maybe 2 years ago :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tough? We drink our urine and eat our dead!"

gummih

May 15, 2016, 10:00:38 AM5/15/16
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
I'm a casual photographer and I haven't got a lot of time to edit and manage my photos - and I'm sad to say that since Google killed the upload on Linux I have hardly shared any of my camera photos except straight to Facebook.
I still manage and edit the photos in Picasa, I then select and export them to a new folder in 1920 resolution, which I then upload to Facebook. Facebook maintains the captions from Picasa and the photos look OK if you do not sharpen them in Picasa

Also, since I started ranting :) I use Google Photos for my phone (Android) an I hate how cumbersome it is to share a single photo from google photos (using the "share" feature on google photos). Just give me a link straight to the damn image, I don't want a link that leads the user to an empty album with a single thumbnail that they have to click to open up the image!?

Dan Christensen

May 15, 2016, 11:42:35 AM5/15/16
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
On May 14, 2016, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/14/2016 04:32 PM, Dan Christensen wrote:
>> On May 14, 2016, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I liked it better when you could PUSH the upload from the computer
>>> rather than having to suck it in from the picasaweb site, but I figure
>>> they need to force you to see advertising in some way.
>>
>> I'm still able to push the upload from picasa to picasaweb. But I
>> suspect this will be turned off soon.
>
> Curious. That died for me maybe 2 years ago :-(

It stopped working for me a couple of month ago, but some fiddling with
the registry got it working again:

On a separate Windows machine, installed the Google Photo Desktop Uploader,
and signed into my Google Photos account. Then used regedit to export
the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\Picasa\Picasa2\Preferences
from the registry to a file picasa.reg, and copied that file to my
linux machine. Then used

wine regedit

to import from picasa.reg. Then picasa worked again. This follows:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/37ptsw/any_got_the_new_google_photos_backup_desktop/

The smooth upload, including uploading only changes made (and even
downloading changes made to the online version) is a really useful
feature, and I can't believe other online photo sharing services
don't have it.

Dan

The Real Bev

May 15, 2016, 12:31:04 PM5/15/16
On 05/15/2016 07:00 AM, gummih wrote:
> I'm a casual photographer and I haven't got a lot of time to edit and
> manage my photos - and I'm sad to say that since Google killed the
> upload on Linux I have hardly shared any of my camera photos except
> straight to Facebook.

Facebook is worse than google :-(

> I still manage and edit the photos in Picasa, I then select and export
> them to a new folder in 1920 resolution, which I then upload to
> Facebook. Facebook maintains the captions from Picasa and the photos
> look OK if you do not sharpen them in Picasa
>
> Also, since I started ranting :) I use Google Photos for my phone
> (Android) an I hate how cumbersome it is to share a single photo from
> google photos (using the "share" feature on google photos). Just give me
> a link straight to the damn image, I don't want a link that leads the
> user to an empty album with a single thumbnail that they have to click
> to open up the image!?

Google does nice stuff and then cripples it. They started out REALLY
nicely -- the fastest BEST search engine. And then they revived
dejanews and EXTENDED it. WOO-HOO! And then the did a lot of nifty
stuff and then they started to degrade the performance of everything
they did. Yeah, I know, how much are we paying, but STILL!