Failure to log into Web Albums by Picasa 3 under Linux Mint 13

ghp...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2014, 3:45:49 PM11/13/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I am unable to log in to Web Albums from Picasa 3, running under Linux Mint 13, XFCE 4 desktop.  The attached file shows the Picasa version and the failure report provided by Picasa.  Clicking on the Sign Up to Web Albums link brings up my Mozilla browser with a Google sign in interface that works -- using the same account and password info that fails when entered into the Picasa interface.  Picasa appears to me to be a Linux version running native in Mint, not a Windows version running under Wine; it is a package loaded through the Mint add applications interface.  Hardware is a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop,  whence the reason for Mint 13 XFCE as the operating system; it fits. Is something missing?
picasaVersion.txt

Patrick B. Shanahan

Nov 13, 2014, 4:15:58 PM11/13/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* ghp...@gmail.com <ghp...@gmail.com> [11-13-14 15:51]:
There "is not/has not been/will never be" a *native* linux version of
picasa, but only a "wine capable" version provided by google.

> Picasa 3 beta
>
> Picasa Version 3.0.0 (Build 57.4402, 0) for Linux.

I have ver 3.9.0 (Build 136,2000,0) for linux.

> Login failure reported by Sign in to Web Albums under Picasa Web Albums
> :
> Network Error
>
> Login failed
>
> Please check that you are connected to the internet and that your
> internet connection is working properly.
> If this problem persists and you contact support, please provide
> the following error code:
>
> HttpOpenRequest failed (12157).
> https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientAuth [13]

And the same problem which did work but now fails always. Probably from a
security change in the log-in process by google.

The Real Bev

Nov 13, 2014, 5:39:56 PM11/13/14
On 11/13/2014 01:15 PM, Patrick B. Shanahan wrote:
> * ghp...@gmail.com <ghp...@gmail.com> [11-13-14 15:51]:
>> I am unable to log in to Web Albums from Picasa 3, running under Linux Mint
>> 13, XFCE 4 desktop. The attached file shows the Picasa version and the
>> failure report provided by Picasa. Clicking on the Sign Up to Web Albums
>> link brings up my Mozilla browser with a Google sign in interface that
>> works -- using the same account and password info that fails when entered
>> into the Picasa interface. Picasa appears to me to be a Linux version
>> running native in Mint, not a Windows version running under Wine; it is a
>> package loaded through the Mint add applications interface. Hardware is a
>> Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop, whence the reason for Mint 13 XFCE as the
>> operating system; it fits. Is something missing?
>
> There "is not/has not been/will never be" a *native* linux version of
> picasa, but only a "wine capable" version provided by google.
>
>> Picasa 3 beta
>>
>> Picasa Version 3.0.0 (Build 57.4402, 0) for Linux.
>
> I have ver 3.9.0 (Build 136,2000,0) for linux.

When you upgraded, how did you do it? I'm using slackware, which has
quirks of its own that make things difficult (I had to do really weird
stuff with libraries in order to upgrade google earth), and I've been
afraid that attempting to upgrade to 3.9 will wreck my current version
of wine or picasa or something else.

>> Login failure reported by Sign in to Web Albums under Picasa Web Albums
>> :
>> Network Error
>>
>> Login failed
>>
>> Please check that you are connected to the internet and that your
>> internet connection is working properly.
>> If this problem persists and you contact support, please provide
>> the following error code:
>>
>> HttpOpenRequest failed (12157).
>> https://www.google.com/accounts/ClientAuth [13]
>
> And the same problem which did work but now fails always. Probably from a
> security change in the log-in process by google.

It used to be easy to upload photos to the website FROM my computer. A
couple of months ago that stopped working -- now I have to go to the
website and suck the pictures from my computer. Perhaps google figures
I'll see more ads that way...

Dirty. And I won't go into how they screwed up Android's use of
external sdcards.

"Do only a little bit of evil."

--
Cheers, Bev
I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those

Patrick B. Shanahan

Nov 13, 2014, 5:54:29 PM11/13/14
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [11-13-14 17:41]:
> On 11/13/2014 01:15 PM, Patrick B. Shanahan wrote:
[...]
> >I have ver 3.9.0 (Build 136,2000,0) for linux.
>
> When you upgraded, how did you do it? I'm using slackware, which has
> quirks of its own that make things difficult (I had to do really
> weird stuff with libraries in order to upgrade google earth), and
> I've been afraid that attempting to upgrade to 3.9 will wreck my
> current version of wine or picasa or something else.

Not sure it is worth the bother but:

having winetricks installed, from directory containing
picasa39-setup.exe:

having winetricks installed, from directory containing picasa39-setup.exe:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/<user>/.winepicasa" wine picasa39-setup.136.20.exe

note: also tried from a different directory with

/<path-to>/picasa39-setup.exe **which** did **not** work!

but "Sign in with Google Account" does not work for me.

Picasa installed with a late version of crossover office does not complete
the "Sign in with Google Account", either.

I doubt seriously that I will bother to do another picasa install. I
cannot remember the last time I used it for *anything*. I use darktable
for most everything now. It is excellent, built on/for linux, and
provides great results. It also catalogues. Interface is different but
every graphic editor I have ever used had a learning curve, even picasa
but picasa is dumbed down so much that it becomes merely a half-assed
answer. And after learning the path to greatness via any other graphic
editor, picasa is no easier.

The Real Bev

Nov 13, 2014, 6:16:18 PM11/13/14
On 11/13/2014 02:54 PM, Patrick B. Shanahan wrote:
> * The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [11-13-14 17:41]:
>> On 11/13/2014 01:15 PM, Patrick B. Shanahan wrote:
> [...]
>> >I have ver 3.9.0 (Build 136,2000,0) for linux.
>>
>> When you upgraded, how did you do it? I'm using slackware, which has
>> quirks of its own that make things difficult (I had to do really
>> weird stuff with libraries in order to upgrade google earth), and
>> I've been afraid that attempting to upgrade to 3.9 will wreck my
>> current version of wine or picasa or something else.
>
> Not sure it is worth the bother but:
>
> having winetricks installed, from directory containing
> picasa39-setup.exe:
>
> having winetricks installed, from directory containing picasa39-setup.exe:
>
> env WINEPREFIX="/home/<user>/.winepicasa" wine picasa39-setup.136.20.exe
>
> note: also tried from a different directory with
>
> /<path-to>/picasa39-setup.exe **which** did **not** work!
>
> but "Sign in with Google Account" does not work for me.
>
> Picasa installed with a late version of crossover office does not complete
> the "Sign in with Google Account", either.

They clearly don't want us to do it the easy way. I'll think about it...

> I doubt seriously that I will bother to do another picasa install. I

Apparently there are on-site editing tools at google photos. Haven't
investigated, though.

> cannot remember the last time I used it for *anything*. I use darktable
> for most everything now. It is excellent, built on/for linux, and
> provides great results. It also catalogues. Interface is different but
> every graphic editor I have ever used had a learning curve, even picasa
> but picasa is dumbed down so much that it becomes merely a half-assed
> answer. And after learning the path to greatness via any other graphic
> editor, picasa is no easier.

I've used gimp and some of the photoshop stuff, but I just don't want to
do that much manipulation. There are only a few things I'd like picasa
to do:

1. Enable you to enlarge photos. I shrink them to 1600 pixels so
they're free to store on the website, but cropped pix stay the original
<1600 cropped size. Annoying.

2. "Straighten" is nice, but doesn't go far enough; I hate taking
wide-angle pictures of things and not having vertical lines vertical.
If I care enough I can fix that with gimp, but mostly I don't care that
much.

I'll give darktable a shot, but "easy" counts for a lot :-( I remember
that I liked Irfanview when I was using windows...

--
Cheers, Bev
"Americans are looking for more government in their life, not less."