Tag Suggestions suddenly missing

cga.j...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2013, 5:40:58 AM4/4/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Since (I think) the latest compulsory update of Picasa to "3.9.0 Build 136.1900, 0 for Linux" I no longer get Tag Suggestions when starting to type in a tag to add.

Existing tags are still visible in old pictures & new tags typed in stick OK, but just no list of previous tags to select from.

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks!

cga.j...@gmail.com

Apr 7, 2013, 12:55:41 PM4/7/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I further found that when typing in Search terms, no suggestions are made.

I checked Picasa 3.9 in Windows7 and that behaves the same.

I checked Picasa 3.8 I still have in Ubuntu 10.04 & that does present a drop-down list of suggestions as soon as I start typing in either the Tags box or the Search box.
So normally I just type one letter & select the term I want from the list.

To me, the behaviour of 3.8 is good & the behaviour of 3.9 is rubbish.

How can I get good behaviour back?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 8, 2013, 3:49:59 PM4/8/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* cga.j...@gmail.com <cga.j...@gmail.com> [04-08-13 15:31]:
Short of some kind of interaction with the google dev's, I see no other
option than reinstalling 3.8. You did retain the picasa38-setup.exe?

if not, I still have a copy:
http://wahoo.no-ip.org/~pat/picasa36-setup.exe

gud luk,

cga.j...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2013, 4:28:32 PM4/8/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your offer.

In the meantime, I found that autocompletion of Tags & Search terms has also gone missing for regular Picasa users as well as just Linux:
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/picasa/picasa-for-windows/GooQNS4DTDQ

Apparently the problem occured in 3.9.0 Build 36.19 & has been fixed in build 36.20.

So hopefully that build will get to me one day...

I will wait a little longer before maybe taking up your offer of 3.8.

But thanks again!

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 8, 2013, 8:27:00 PM4/8/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* cga.j...@gmail.com <cga.j...@gmail.com> [04-08-13 16:38]:
> Thanks for your offer.
>
> In the meantime, I found that autocompletion of Tags & Search terms has
> also gone missing for regular Picasa users as well as just Linux:
> http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/picasa/picasa-for-windows/GooQNS4DTDQ
>
> Apparently the problem occured in 3.9.0 Build 36.19 & has been fixed in
> build 36.20.

I have 3.9 build 136.20 installed. Search works as expected.

mhenriday

Apr 9, 2013, 8:09:59 AM4/9/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

The search feature works find on my build - Version 3.9.0 (Programversion 136.1200, 0)Picasa for Linux....

Henri

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 9, 2013, 12:05:05 PM4/9/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [04-09-13 08:11]:
> Den tisdagen den 9:e april 2013 kl. 02:27:00 UTC+2 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
> >
> > * cga.j...@gmail.com <javascript:> <cga.j...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> > [04-08-13 16:38]:
> > > Thanks for your offer.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, I found that autocompletion of Tags & Search terms has
> > > also gone missing for regular Picasa users as well as just Linux:
> > >
> > http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/picasa/picasa-for-windows/GooQNS4DTDQ
> > >
> > > Apparently the problem occured in 3.9.0 Build 36.19 & has been fixed in
> > > build 36.20.
> >
> > I have 3.9 build 136.20 installed. Search works as expected.
>
> The search feature works find on my build - Version 3.9.0 (Programversion
> 136.1200, 0)Picasa for Linux....

I recently updated from 136.120 w/o problem. There are probably other
code changes that might be beneficial.

having winetricks installed, from directory containing picasa39-setup.exe:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/<user>/.winepicasa" wine picasa39-setup.136.20.exe

note: also tried from a different directory with
/<path-to>/picasa39-setup.exe **which** did **not** work!

but "Sign in with Google Account" has not worked for me. Picasa installed
with a late version of crossover office does not complete the "Sign in
with Google Account", either.

Dan Christensen

Apr 9, 2013, 2:24:23 PM4/9/13
Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com> writes:

> having winetricks installed, from directory containing picasa39-setup.exe:
>
> env WINEPREFIX="/home/<user>/.winepicasa" wine picasa39-setup.136.20.exe
>
> note: also tried from a different directory with
> /<path-to>/picasa39-setup.exe **which** did **not** work!
>
> but "Sign in with Google Account" has not worked for me. Picasa installed
> with a late version of crossover office does not complete the "Sign in
> with Google Account", either.

I have stuck with 3.8 because I heard about these problems involving
sign-in. Can anyone summarize the situation? What features are missing
because of the sign-in problems, and are there any workarounds?

Thanks,

Dan

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 9, 2013, 4:25:42 PM4/9/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> [04-09-13 14:26]:
> Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> > but "Sign in with Google Account" has not worked for me. Picasa installed
> > with a late version of crossover office does not complete the "Sign in
> > with Google Account", either.
>
> I have stuck with 3.8 because I heard about these problems involving
> sign-in. Can anyone summarize the situation? What features are missing
> because of the sign-in problems, and are there any workarounds?

I have not noticed *any*, but... I am a very occasional picasa user as
work-flow for quantities raw files is cumbersome and time constrained.

I frequently work with 600-1000 raw image groups and prefer quickly
assigning changes which are not committed until I have finished the entire
group and am not waiting for single files being processed.

Dan Christensen

Apr 9, 2013, 5:02:17 PM4/9/13
to Patrick Shanahan, google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com> writes:

> * Dan Christensen <j...@uwo.ca> [04-09-13 14:26]:
>> Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>> > but "Sign in with Google Account" has not worked for me. Picasa installed
>> > with a late version of crossover office does not complete the "Sign in
>> > with Google Account", either.
>>
>> I have stuck with 3.8 because I heard about these problems involving
>> sign-in. Can anyone summarize the situation? What features are missing
>> because of the sign-in problems, and are there any workarounds?
>
> I have not noticed *any*, but... I am a very occasional picasa user as
> work-flow for quantities raw files is cumbersome and time constrained.

What happens when the sign-in process doesn't complete? Doesn't that
cause a problem, e.g. with uploads to picasaweb? Or does it just cause
a delay when picasa starts up?

Dan
Message has been deleted

mhenriday

Apr 10, 2013, 12:56:54 PM4/10/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com

As can be seen from the attached screenshot below, updating to Program version 136.1200, 0 did not affect my status as in-logged to my Google Account....

Henri

Picasa 3.9 136.1200, 0-inloggning 2013-04-10 18:40:54.png

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 10, 2013, 1:09:30 PM4/10/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [04-10-13 12:55]:
> > > Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com <javascript:>> writes:
> > [...]
> > installed
[...]
> As can be seen from the attached screenshot above, updating to Program
> version 136.1200, 0 did *not* affect my status as in-logged to my Google
> Account....

You have peaked my curiosity, I get a blank xterm window when I try to
"Sign in with Google Account" via picasa. I am already signed in but not
via any app using wine.

Starting firefox under wine, logging into google.plus, then initiating
picasa still show "Sign in with Google Account" and initiating that again
provides an empty xterm instance.

???

How are you getting there?

ps: Did you *really* mean "updating .. version 136.1200", or did you not
recently upgrade picasa. I am at 136.2000.

mhenriday

Apr 11, 2013, 12:11:11 PM4/11/13
Den onsdagen den 10:e april 2013 kl. 19:09:30 UTC+2 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [04-10-13 12:55]:
> > > Patrick Shanahan <ptilo...@gmail.com <javascript:>> writes:
> >  [...]
> > installed
 [...]
>  As can be seen from the attached screenshot above, updating to Program
> version 136.1200, 0 did *not* affect my status as in-logged to my Google
> Account....

You have peaked my curiosity, I get a blank xterm window when I try to
"Sign in with Google Account" via picasa.  I am already signed in but not
via any app using wine.

Starting firefox under wine, logging into google.plus, then initiating
picasa still show "Sign in with Google Account" and initiating that again
provides an empty xterm instance.

???

How are you getting there?

ps:  Did you *really* mean "updating .. version 136.1200", or did you not
recently upgrade picasa.  I am at 136.2000.

Hullo, Patrick. I did indeed recently - a few days ago - update to 136.1200, 0, as shown in the attached screen shot below. I am unfamiliar with a version 136.2000 ; the «Search for updates» alternative under «Help» is greyed out, which I interpret to mean that no updates are presently available. I start Picasa directly via the standard icon in the Cinnamon menu in 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04....

Henri

Picasa 3.9 version 136.1200, 0 2013-04-11 17:58:12.png

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 11, 2013, 1:33:13 PM4/11/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [04-11-13 12:11]:
> Den onsdagen den 10:e april 2013 kl. 19:09:30 UTC+2 skrev
> ptilo...@gmail.com:
[...]
> > ps: Did you *really* mean "updating .. version 136.1200", or did you not
> > recently upgrade picasa. I am at 136.2000.
> >

> Hullo, Patrick. I did indeed recently - a few days ago - update to
> 136.1200, 0, as shown in the attached screen shot below. I am
> unfamiliar with a version 136.2000 ; the «Search for updates»
> alternative under «Help» is greyed out, which I interpret to mean that
> no updates are presently available.

Yeah, don't recall if it has work since specific issues for linux were
dropped. 136.2000 is direct dl from picasa.google.com from a vbox
instance of xp. Seems google fails to announce ?maintenance? updates and
the file-name is inconclusive. I add version numbers to the file name
after downloading.

http://www.filehorse.com%2Fdownload-picasa%2F&ei=RPNmUfSjIJPG4AOL9ICgCw&usg=AFQjCNEOK3Mlbeng6KnXqZg-6wqFUSmDSA&sig2=XfOtxtSOXss93GwqzE1LEw&bvm=bv.45107431,d.dmg
http://www.filehorse.com/download-picasa/
cravat: sites not tested or .... Just seen :^)

> I start Picasa directly via the standard icon in the Cinnamon menu in
> 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04....

You must have something I don't :^)

I see the same action when running picasa via crossover....

Perhaps related to advanced age and Dos Equis :^)

mhenriday

Apr 12, 2013, 3:06:10 PM4/12/13

Den torsdagen den 11:e april 2013 kl. 19:33:13 UTC+2 skrev ptilo...@gmail.com:
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [04-11-13 12:11]:
> Den onsdagen den 10:e april 2013 kl. 19:09:30 UTC+2 skrev
> ptilo...@gmail.com:
 [...]
> > ps:  Did you *really* mean "updating .. version 136.1200", or did you not
> > recently upgrade picasa.  I am at 136.2000.
> >

> Hullo, Patrick. I did indeed recently - a few days ago - update to
> 136.1200, 0, as shown in the attached screen shot below.  I am
> unfamiliar with a version 136.2000 ; the «Search for updates»
> alternative under «Help» is greyed out, which I interpret to mean that
> no updates are presently available.

Yeah, don't recall if it has work since specific issues for linux were
dropped.  136.2000 is direct dl from picasa.google.com from a vbox
instance of xp.  Seems google fails to announce ?maintenance? updates and
the file-name is inconclusive.  I add version numbers to the file name
after downloading.

http://www.filehorse.com%2Fdownload-picasa%2F&ei=RPNmUfSjIJPG4AOL9ICgCw&usg=AFQjCNEOK3Mlbeng6KnXqZg-6wqFUSmDSA&sig2=XfOtxtSOXss93GwqzE1LEw&bvm=bv.45107431,d.dmg
http://www.filehorse.com/download-picasa/
cravat: sites not tested or ....   Just seen  :^)

The link provided in FileHorse seems to be for 136.20 (i e, not 136.2000), see link....

> I start Picasa directly via the standard icon in the Cinnamon menu in
> 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04....

You must have something I don't  :^)

Aren't you launching Picasa via Wine ? Myself, I don't know any other way to do it....

I see the same action when running picasa via crossover....

Perhaps related to advanced age and Dos Equis  :^)

Well, that sounds alright, then !... :-)

Henri

Karl L

Apr 30, 2013, 8:53:42 PM4/30/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I thought I was the only one.  I'm using Windows 7 and am completely annoyed it no longer provides suggestions as I type.  It really sucks.

JOSEPH BARR

Apr 30, 2013, 10:23:30 PM4/30/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
We might have to Bombard Google with a request to create a native picasa for Linux/open Source.
Cheers,
Jbarr

Patrick Shanahan

Apr 30, 2013, 11:35:56 PM4/30/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* JOSEPH BARR <jbarr...@gmail.com> [04-30-13 22:24]:
good luck with that. There has not and most probably will *never* be a
"native linux" client.

JOSEPH BARR

May 1, 2013, 2:50:48 AM5/1/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I would say that it would be to their advantage;moe advertising

cga.j...@gmail.com

May 1, 2013, 3:27:33 AM5/1/13
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
For information (I am OP) my Picasa updated itself to version 13.2000 a couple of days ago & everything is working OK now.