New and improved Transliteration labs page

Rahul RC

Nov 16, 2009, 10:46:43 PM11/16/09
to Google India Labs
Hi all,

Google Transliteration now has a new and improved labs page! You can
access this new page at:
http://google.com/transliterate/

New features includes rich text editing, font selection, dictionary
lookup and a character picker. This new page also brings together all
supported languages into a single page. You can go directly to your
supported language by adding the language name to the URL. For
example,

Persian: http://google.com/transliterate/persian
Hindi: http://google.com/transliterate/hindi
Tamil: http://google.com/transliterate/tamil
Arabic: http://google.com/transliterate/arabic

Please try it out, and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
Rahul.

jasthi

Nov 17, 2009, 10:22:15 PM11/17/09
to Google India Labs
Thank you.

[1] The dictionary feature is very cool and very handy
[2] You should enable the capability to add new Telugu words to Telugu
dictionary (either directly or through English dictionary)
[3] It seems the new transliteration page always shows "Type in Hindi
- Google Translitration" even if you chose any other language. Either
refresh the title OR chose a generic title
[4] Switching between English and Telugu (after pressing Ctrl + g) -
that capability is still intact; However, Ctrl + g has disappeared
from the tool bar; For a new comer, it will be very difficult to know.
So adding it back would be good idea
[5] Edit html source is also cool feature

Thanks
Siva Jasthi
Volunteer / Telugu Teacher - School of India For Languages and Culture

Mir Arif Billah

Nov 17, 2009, 9:10:54 AM11/17/09
to Google India Labs
I enjoyed this feature very much.

Mayu Mayooresan

Nov 18, 2009, 12:03:40 AM11/18/09
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Wrote a small introduction to new WYSWYG editor

Jitendra Kumar

Nov 18, 2009, 6:22:50 AM11/18/09
to google-i...@googlegroups.com

> Hi all,
>
> Google Transliteration now has a new and improved labs page! You can
> access this new page at:
> http://google.com/transliterate/
>
> New features includes rich text editing, font selection, dictionary
> lookup and a character picker. This new page also brings together all
> supported languages into a single page. You can go directly to your
> supported language by adding the language name to the URL. For
> example,

Is it possible to include that Google rich text editor in websites using
apis?

Thanks
Jitendra

Ninad

Nov 20, 2009, 7:52:19 AM11/20/09
to Google India Labs
Dear Rahul,

Yes, the new look is better. And a lot more facilities too. However,
the user has lost control over fine grained consonents. I am a Marathi
writer in Devnagri script. Some words are transliterated in unusual
way. The old version also had same problem.

But in the old version, I use a keyboard facility to correct the
script. It was quite handy. Once a transliteration is corrected, the
application would remember it and offer appropriate option upon
leftclicking the Marathi word.

Can you please bring it back in the new version? Or let us know whom
to contact?

Thank you,
-Ninad

Rahul RC

Nov 24, 2009, 1:48:59 AM11/24/09
to Google India Labs
Hi Ninad -

We have replaced the old edit option with a Unicode character picker.
You can enter sequences of Unicode characters using this new
functionality. To use the character picker, follow these steps

1) Go to the transliteration page: http://www.google.com/transliterate
2) Click on the Omega Ω (horseshoe) icon. It's the fourth icon from
the right on the toolbar.
3) Select sequences of characters to form the word you want. The
results of your character selections will show on the text box at the
bottom of the character picker window.
4) Once you have the word you want, click on "OK" - the word will be
pasted into the text editing window.

I hope this helps. Thanks for raising this issue - others have asked
this question as well.

Regards,
Rahul.

drtechno

Nov 25, 2009, 11:42:45 AM11/25/09
to Google India Labs
Dear Rahul

I was using the hindi transliteration on my iphone 3g. The website
(http://www.google.com/transliterate/indic) has changed lately and has
ceased to work on the browser on iphone. I am unable to type anything.

Plz help

B.G.M.

Nov 23, 2009, 12:28:03 PM11/23/09
to Google India Labs
can some-one tell me how to write "Nuun Ghunna" i.e. nasal twang the
Nuun without a dot can be typed using transliteration system of
Google.

Abhirav

Nov 28, 2009, 5:58:52 AM11/28/09
to Google India Labs
Hi,

I love the new interface for Transliteration. It is much more usable
now. I use this transliteration tool to type Hindi articles.

Although, I am not very comfortable with the removal of old on-edit
keyboard. [The whole idea with it was, it'll show all letter
combination that'll make a particular letter in Hindi.]
Previously, If I wanted to type something let's say 'निर्गुण', I would
type 'nirgud' which will be converted into 'निर्गुद' and then from
onscreen keyboard I would correct it and also remember the letter
combination we need to type to make it 'ण' .
My point is that knowing the letter combination[in english] to make a
letter in hindi is much more easier and faster than going to Unicode
character picker, every time, to pick a character(that was not
converted correctly).

With the new transliteration interface there is no way to know which
letter combination will convert to a particular letter in Hindi. This
greatly affect the speed when we are typing a large article in Hindi.

This is a small feature that I miss in this great tool.

Regards,
Abhirav Kushwaha

Ninad

Nov 29, 2009, 3:07:37 PM11/29/09
to Google India Labs
Thanks for the info Rahul. Yes, I've used the horseshoe facility. But
it's an overkill not to mention it's monolithic block. Besides it
doesn't offer corrective action like the old keyboard. I suppose most
of us are interested only in a limited charset suitable to the indic
script. The entire unicode doesn't offer a tailor made solution.

I miss the keyboard direly :-)

Thank you for your time and attention.

-Ninad
> > > Rahul.- Hide quoted text -

Nilesh Sharma

Dec 8, 2009, 9:10:02 PM12/8/09
to Google India Labs
Everything looks cool and enhanced. Great work guys !

But i am missing the keyboard badly.

Horseshoe is great but not the replacement of keyboard. I was
surprised by not finding the keyboard.

It would be great to have that as well.

Thanks
Nilesh

Matt

Dec 20, 2009, 10:55:38 AM12/20/09
to Google India Labs
I am trying to type in Arabic using Google IME.
However I can't find which key to press to get the character ص
I can get the character by using the On-screen keyboard.
But how the hell do I type it on my keyboard?!?!?!?!
Please, please can somebody tell me which keys map to which
characters!

thank you

tcherser

Dec 31, 2009, 7:16:32 AM12/31/09
to Google India Labs
try out http://ok-board.com/arabic.htm

On Dec 20, 5:55 pm, Matt <matthewfelg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to type in Arabic using Google IME.

> However I can't find which key to press to get the character Õ

akhouri...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2010, 12:05:02 PM1/2/10
to Google India Labs
I have been trying "Hindi" typing using Google transliteration.
Everything works fine except when we use "." (Full Stop) it does not
get converted into "।" (पूर्ण विराम). I have tried in Firefox 3.5.6 &
Internet Explorer 7 without any success. It only works with my Blog
Editor (Old version) very nicely and does not work with the New
Version of Blog Editor. With the New version of Blog Editor at www.bloggers.com
even Title and Labels are not working.

On Nov 17 2009, 8:46 am, Rahul RC <rahul.roychowdh...@gmail.com>

Laven

Aug 16, 2011, 4:31:07 AM8/16/11
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Do any one have idea to get entire set up files of google translitertion?

Hitesh

Aug 20, 2011, 1:15:30 PM8/20/11
to Google India Labs
yes,

after the download complate of the IME it ask for installation.
at the same time don't install, but search for file "*google*.exe"
with, Search Everyting Tools from here: http://www.voidtools.com/

Ouhti

Dec 6, 2011, 7:29:50 PM12/6/11
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
I think you must a google search button direclty in the interface

Namphong2036

Dec 7, 2011, 3:42:38 AM12/7/11
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for info but why there isn't have Vietnamese?

L B Rana

Jun 14, 2012, 10:44:41 PM6/14/12
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
@NMH,

You are probably following "UNINSTALL" instructions of IME Installation Instruction. Please confirm.

LBR

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 8:33 AM, NMH <have...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I have been using transliteration while connected to the internet, and working well.
Recently I downloaded the IME (transliteration) so I could use it when I dont have interent access. I am stuck at the stage in the installation where I have to switch to
"change>google language input"
because this option is not appearing in the box.

Could somebody with more experience guide me please ?

NMH.

havewala

Jun 15, 2012, 2:19:46 AM6/15/12
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
No, I am not following Uninstall....

bngoyal

Jun 15, 2012, 7:15:39 AM6/15/12
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Transliteration is google based software and it can work only while you are on internet.
The only solution of the problem to my mind is that - you work on transliteration, copy it and save it on Word. if you want to use that file again................

L B Rana

Jun 15, 2012, 10:32:15 AM6/15/12
to google-i...@googlegroups.com
Settings->Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages->Supplemental Language Support->select both check boxes (Install Files for complex script and Install files for East Asean Languages) and click Apply. You will need Windows CD at this stage. Restart the PC. Now your problem might get solved.

ken

Oct 28, 2012, 10:28:00 AM10/28/12
to google-i...@googlegroups.com, rahul.roy...@gmail.com
Rahul,

Please show Roman  Characters used to write Devanagari /Gujarati script in INSERT SPECIAL CHARACTERS box.
For Example...ā  ī   ě    ū  etc...
If I suggest any modification,would you do it?

ken

Oct 28, 2012, 5:41:47 PM10/28/12
to google-i...@googlegroups.com, rahul.roy...@gmail.com
Hello Rahul,
At present Google shows....
 ऎ  ऍ  ए  ऐ ऒ ऑ ओ (  ĕ ē ai o ŏ ō )
 कॆ कॅ के कै कॊ कॉ को ( ke kĕ kē kai ko kŏ kō )
Please change above characters to
 ऎ  ऍ  ए  ऐ ऒ ऑ ओ ( ĕ ē e ai ŏ ō o )
कॆ कॅ के कै कॊ कॉ को ( kĕ kē ke kai kŏ kō ko)
also match these characters in Gujarati too.
 ऎ   ऒ ......these characters are not often used in writing Hindi.
Thanks,