Embedded maps do not use Calendar account information

Mike

Jul 28, 2009, 9:57:56 PM7/28/09
to Google Calendar Users
I've noticed that even though my Calendar account/profile has lots of
useful contextual information such as my Country, City and Timezone,
that none of this is used to make locating Calendar events on the map.

So in my case that's Sydney Australia (with associated timezone). It's
extremely rare for Google Calendar to show a map that places one of my
local events in Australia. Usually a similarly named location in the
United States is shown.

More recently, I had an event in Newcastle, which is a city a few
hundred kilometres from Sydney, and notably within the same country,
state and timezone.

Google calendar routes this to a map so that I see "Newcastle upon
Tyne" (northern England), which is not even a proper match on name,
but is in another country, hemisphere, continent, timezone - tens of
thousands of km from my calendar defaults.

To get it to show the correct location I have to manually type in
qualifying information (state and country) for every single event. Why
must this be done when the user account defaults are available?