Edit Bookmark's URL

Yariv

Aug 20, 2007, 12:36:34 PM8/20/07
to Google Bookmarks
Why I can't edit the bookmark's URL?

Stefan Münz

Aug 21, 2007, 2:18:47 PM8/21/07
to Google Bookmarks
Hi Yariv,

> Why I can't edit the bookmark's URL?

Maybe because cool URIs don't change
(see http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI ;-)

I'm missing the possibility of editing URI data of a bookmark, too.
For example, http://example.org/index.html is saved. Two weeks later,
the content provider discovers the benefits of PHP and changes his
entry point to index.php. If only http://example.org/ is saved, the
bookmark link will still work after this cool change, but if
http://example.org/index.html is saved, clicking the bookmark will
cause a 404 error on the target server. So I strongly agree to "make
bookmarks URIs editable!"

regards
Stefan

jyto...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2007, 6:16:46 AM9/10/07
to Google Bookmarks
Hi all,
I'm badly missing this feature too, because it occurs often that main
pages change, or that you can only bookmark some "redirected" pages
instead of the main one (i.e. http://www.asite.com/redirect/main_page.html
instead of http://www.asite.com/ ).
Let's hope someone at Google is reading us... and that they didn't
make the URL the key of the bookmark...
Regards,
JY.

On Aug 21, 8:18 pm, Stefan Münz <stefan.mu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Yariv,
>
> > Why I can't edit the bookmark's URL?
>
> Maybe because cool URIs don't change

> (seehttp://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI ;-)

> I'm missing the possibility of editing URI data of a bookmark, too.

> For example,http://example.org/index.htmlis saved. Two weeks later,

> the content provider discovers the benefits of PHP and changes his

> entry point to index.php. If onlyhttp://example.org/is saved, the
> bookmark link will still work after this cool change, but ifhttp://example.org/index.htmlis saved, clicking the bookmark will

jyto...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2007, 6:38:20 AM9/27/07
to Google Bookmarks
Not having any reply on this list, I just want to mention that the
alternative solutions (del.icio.us, foxmarks, etc.) permit to rewrite
the URL.
I switched back to my Firefox bookmarks, along with foxmarks...
The impacts are:
negative: I lost the tagging feature, but it is not so critical for
bookmarks (even if firefox DOES have a tagging feature, but it still
needs to be improved),
positive: response time are now immediate again, the "on the fly"
synchronization of bookmarks in the google bookmarks with firefox
being really slow.
JY.

On Sep 10, 12:16 pm, "jytou...@gmail.com" <jytou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm badly missing this feature too, because it occurs often that main
> pages change, or that you can only bookmark some "redirected" pages
> instead of the main one (i.e.http://www.asite.com/redirect/main_page.html
> instead ofhttp://www.asite.com/).
> Let's hope someone at Google is reading us... and that they didn't
> make the URL the key of the bookmark...
> Regards,
> JY.
>
> On Aug 21, 8:18 pm, Stefan Münz <stefan.mu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Yariv,
>
> > > Why I can't edit the bookmark's URL?
>
> > Maybe because cool URIs don't change
> > (seehttp://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI;-)
>
> > I'm missing the possibility of editing URI data of a bookmark, too.

> > For example,http://example.org/index.htmlissaved. Two weeks later,

> > the content provider discovers the benefits of PHP and changes his

> > entry point to index.php. If onlyhttp://example.org/issaved, the
> > bookmark link will still work after this cool change, but ifhttp://example.org/index.htmlissaved, clicking the bookmark will

OG

Sep 27, 2007, 10:59:59 PM9/27/07
to Google Bookmarks
Hi,

Comments in-line...

On Sep 27, 6:38 am, "jytou...@gmail.com" <jytou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not having any reply on this list, I just want to mention that the
> alternative solutions (del.icio.us, foxmarks, etc.) permit to rewrite
> the URL.

Yup. Same with Simpy - when you edit a bookmark you can change its
URL. The old one will be removed and the new one added.

> I switched back to my Firefox bookmarks, along with foxmarks...
> The impacts are:
> negative: I lost the tagging feature, but it is not so critical for
> bookmarks (even if firefox DOES have a tagging feature, but it still
> needs to be improved),

Have you tried Simpy + Smarky combination? It's quite powerful.
Smarky lives in your Firefox sidebar (where ff bookmarks are, but no,
it doesn't kill your FF bookmarks), keeps your bookmarks in FF and
Simpy in sync AND does not lose your tags and instead it uses them to
create folder-like hierarchies. It also has a very useful and fast
search, both local (stays in your browser) and remote (goes to Simpy).

> positive: response time are now immediate again, the "on the fly"
> synchronization of bookmarks in the google bookmarks with firefox
> being really slow.
> JY.

Seriously, give Smarky a try. The only time when it is slow is when
it is importing many thousands of bookmarks (done once, at the start),
everything else is super fast. Oh, and I see the new version was
released 10 days ago and includes, among other things "-Added Most
Recent and Most Used 'smart' folders". Mmmm :)

http://groups.google.com/group/smarky

I hope this was helpful.

JohnM5

Sep 28, 2007, 7:54:24 PM9/28/07
to Google Bookmarks
GMarks, Smarky's brother, works with Google bookmarks and lets you
edit bookmark urls in case you want to stick with google bookmarks. It
edits the url by deleting & re-adding.

> http://groups.google.com/group/smarkyhttps://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4702

GPS Pilot

Dec 19, 2017, 9:09:56 PM12/19/17
to Google Bookmarks
Ten years later...  editing a bookmark's URL is still a much-needed feature, and you still can't do it.