including additional fields in local search results (business url, zip)

1 view

Dan Conner

Jul 28, 2008, 2:56:21 PM7/28/08
to Google AJAX API
Searching Google Maps for "Cafe Shi Ames IA" returns a result that
places a marker on a map, has the phone, name, and also the
restaurant's website. Using the AJAX API's local search, there is no
url for that website.

http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/services/search/local?v=1.0&q=cafe%20shi%20ames%20ia

Is there a way to enable certain fields in the results? Or another
query that would include the address, lat / lng, and website?

Thanks,
Dan

jgeerdes [AJAX APIs "Guru"]

Jul 28, 2008, 3:40:41 PM7/28/08
to Google AJAX API
Unfortunately, no. You can request additional features using the
issue tracker, though.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jgee...@mchsi.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights
Wesleyan Church!

Dan Conner

Jul 31, 2008, 6:15:10 PM7/31/08
to Google AJAX API
Thanks for the response. I may request the feature, though I would
assume the website was not included for a reason in the first place.

On Jul 28, 2:40 pm, "jgeerdes [AJAX APIs \"Guru\"]"
<jgeer...@mchsi.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, no.  You can request additional features using the
> issue tracker, though.
>
> Jeremy R. Geerdes
> Effective website design & development
> Des Moines, IA
>
> For more information or a project quote:http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
> jgeer...@mchsi.com

jgeerdes [AJAX APIs "Guru"]

Aug 1, 2008, 7:28:30 AM8/1/08
to Google AJAX API
As I'm not a Google employee, I don't know the reasoning behind no
business URL. I would guess, though, that it may have to do with
either (a) licensing (i.e., Google doesn't do their own local
directory; they get it from others), and/or (b) the fact that they
offer a separate web search which could be easily tied together with a
local search to find related web pages, etc.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jgee...@mchsi.com

jgeerdes [AJAX APIs "Guru"]

Aug 1, 2008, 7:41:52 AM8/1/08
to Google AJAX API
I should point out that, if you really need the business url, the
latest version of the Yahoo! Local Search API does offer it. Just be
prepared to build the entire UI from scratch.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jgee...@mchsi.com

If you're in the Des Moines, IA, area, check out Debra Heights
Wesleyan Church!