the 32 results limit

campuspuzzle

Mar 26, 2008, 9:48:08 AM3/26/08
to Google AJAX API
I use a day to experiment google ajax search api,there are dozens of
posts dicussed the 32 results limit, i don't know if there is a
chance that google provide all results, when we use google searching
something, i think most people will click next page many times(exceed
4x8 results greatly) to find desired information, It seems that the
api is just a toy, and not a open api.

jgeerdes [AJAX APIs "Guru"]

Mar 26, 2008, 1:13:19 PM3/26/08
to Google AJAX API
You can always vote for an increased results limit on the Features
Suggest/Request page of this group.

That said, without meaning to sound like a brainwashed Google lackey
or put words in the dev team/company's mouth, I think there is a
misconception about the intended use of the AJAX APIs. They are not
intended for use in SEO or data mining applications, but for general
searching. In that application, I would submit that 32 results is
generally (though, admittedly, not always) adequate. In fact, I
suspect that if someone were to look at the click-through data for
Google searches, you'd find that the vast majority of clicks happen on
the first 3 pages/30 results. Anecdotally, if I don't find what I'm
looking for within the first two or three pages, I'm refining my
search query.

All of that said, I can certainly understand this frustration with
local and blog searches, where results are still limited to 8. I
would love to see these resultsets expanded to at least the 32 that
the other searchers offer. Will it limit my use of the API, though?
Generally not because the applications that I'm using it for don't
require that many results (I think I have one application where 32+
local results would be very helpful).

In fact, no search provider presently offers an API for real SEO or
data mining applications. Although their resultset limitations are
more generous, both Yahoo! and Windows Live/MSN still restrict the
number of results to no more than 1,000 total. While this certainly
offers more for these types of applications, it can easily be argued
that, when result counts often range into the tens and hundreds of
thousands - even millions - it's still just a drop in the bucket.

So what am I trying to say? I guess it's that the AJAX APIs (Search,
in particular) aren't toys; they're just designed for one specific
purpose. And I would submit that they serve that purpose very well.

Jeremy R. Geerdes
Effective website design & development
Des Moines, IA

For more information or a project quote:
http://jgeerdes.home.mchsi.com
jgee...@mchsi.com