Dipsea Trail Fun Run – July 27

GGRC Communications

Jul 15, 2024, 12:04:12 AM (12 days ago) Jul 15
to Golden Gate Running Club
Hey GGRC,

For those of you NOT running the SF Marathon but still wanting to do a fun adventure run, a group of us will run the Dipsea Trail on Saturday, July 27. 11 people have already said they're interested!! The Dipsea is a historic route, it's the longest running annual trail race in the US and notorious for its steep hills and rugged terrain (2018 New York Times article).

Start Time: 11 am (enough time to get some zzzzsss and make it to Mill Valley)
Running Time: Running group will be ~1.5 hours (including breaks), Chamila's hiking group ~ 2.5 hours

Course & Run Info (strava route):

While we will follow the official race course this will be a casual run, not a race. I'm anticipating at least two pace groups.
1) I'll lead a group that spans 8 - 9 min/mile on downhills and upwards of 14 - 16 min/mile on uphills. I plan to stop and regroup along the route including at 4 water fountain stops.
2) Chamila will lead a hiking group for anyone who wants to take it a bit easier or be careful on the difficult terrain. This group will not be running, but will be keeping a steady hiking pace.
3) If anyone wants to push the pace, you're more than welcome to run ahead at whatever pace feels right to you.

After the Run:
Lunch hang at Stinson Beach. Bring cash / card to get some food. There's tons of options – cafe bakery, burgers, grocery store, and more.

Transportation:
On return to Mill Valley, we will take the West Marin Stagecoach 61, view the Saturday & Eastbound direction times and the pickup location is 4810 Shoreline Hwy. The easiest dropoff location is an insider's secret... if you ask the driver, they will stop at Panoramic Hwy & Bayview Drive. From there, you can retrace your steps downhill to the Depot Cafe.

What to bring:
• Clipper card
• Cash / credit card
• Water and snacks not needed but welcome
• Trail shoes or shoes you feel comfortable wearing on technical trails

Let me know if you need help getting to Mill Valley. If helpful, we can organize carpools. I have a few extra spots in my car and know of others who will be driving too.

--
Taylor Eth
GGRC Communications Chair 2024