Kaiser Half Training Week 4

Takashi Mizohata

Dec 19, 2022, 4:18:53 PM12/19/22
to Golden Gate Running Club
Hey, all half marathon runners,

It was a beautiful day for the Christmas Relay last Sunday. In the past, I've seen a chilly day, a gloomy day, but yesterday was a perfectly sunny day. I had a great time. I also think it was an excellent assessing opportunity to what point I am at. I wished I could run a tad faster, which tells me I need more speedy runs.

By the way, I just learned the psychological term "benign masochism", coined by Paul Rozin at UPenn. The word itself is self-explanatory and I think it can be applied to many long-distance runners. I almost feel like if you can't repeat tough things, then how can you become better? But, at the same time, that's precisely masochism. Anyway, you may also enjoy the conversation that I learned from.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/why-do-people-love-horror-movies/

This week is slightly light. Easy and Tempo on weekdays and Long and Easy on weekends. On the Slack channel, I often call for attendance planning for runs to cater to your needs. So join and be active on the slack channel! And if you ever feel like you don't match the pace, please let me know. At least I will run with you so you won't be alone, and maybe that'll encourage other folks to join too.

This week:
  • Tue Dec 20, 6:30 AM at McLaren Lodge: Easy 7 Miles in GGP
  • Wed Dec 21, 6:15 PM at Kezar: Tempo Run in GGP
  • Sat Dec 24, TBD: Long Run 90 min
  • Sun Dec 25, TBD: Easy Run 40 ~ 60 min

I will send you another email for individual guidance with pace suggestions for each training.

I still need more training logs!! A short note is fine. Here's mine:
  • Tue: Waking up early gets harder as it gets colder. Had a bit of a stomach ache.
  • Wed: Mile repeat was tough. Had a hard time breathing, and needed to stop for a moment.
  • Thu: First time using Stryd Gen 3.
  • Sat: Compared to the week before, it was 1000x easier. No wind on Great Hwy was really nice
  • Sun: Breathing was hard. Needed to stop at the water station.
Again, you can send it to me privately, or you can drop it on #2023-kaiser-half-training too.

Onwards and upwards!

---
Coach Takashi