Chicago marathon race report

1 view

Simo Leone

Oct 14, 2014, 3:42:28 AM10/14/14
to Golden Gate Running Club
I started my marathon career last year. I figured best to start on a nice flat fast course... that conveniently happens to be located in my hometown Chicago. I did my best to cobble together a marathon training plan - with the benefit of being an experienced runner - and went for it thinking "just make it to the end". Result: 3:00:45. Not bad, and faster than I thought. BQ on my first try. Alrighty then.

Fast forward to this year.

For my second marathon, I decided to keep it fast and familiar. I also set some "real goals" this time.

Primary goal:
- 3:00:00
Nice-to-haves:
- catch my high school cross country/track coach's ghost (who passed away last year, sadly). 2:57:50
- beat my uncle on the same course in 1992 (albeit he was in his 40's at the time...). 2:54:57

Goals in hand, I assembled a plan. I was ambitious. I looked into elite training. I read several off-the-shelf plans designed for sub-3ing. Then I blended what I learned with my existing heart-rate-based approach.

I proceeded to seriously beat the shit out of myself. GGRC didn't see my face for months. Communication was mostly a series of kudos and Hans making snarky comments on Strava.

Race day. Finally. Chicago is pretty at the crack of dawn. Not pictured: a thermometer showing that it is in fact 39 degrees out, and me shivering inside a head-to-toe garbage bag moo-moo.

I was fortunate enough to qualify into corral A this year. I understood this meant that I'd be starting 1 minute after elites. Neat. I also understood this would mean I'd be running with some capable folks. The gun went off and in the ensuing 60 seconds I learned what this actually meant: by one minute they mean "within one minute, or asap" and I was surrounded by people who start their marathon at a sub-6 (!!!) pace. "Welp. I'll go with it and keep up with the herd!" I thought to myself as I put away the first 5k in 18:19. "Screw it. Let's see how long I can take this"

As it turned out - I could take it for about 13 miles. A complete blur. I spotted my parents in the crowd as I rounded the corner into Greektown at Adams & Franklin. This prompted me to point, sprint, and scream like a madman to the delight  of the massive crowd (or horror, who knows. I'm going with delight). Oh and a half marathon PR came out of that split. I beat my previous best by nearly 4 minutes... a time which had earned me a first place finish at a half marathon just a couple months ago. I felt fantastic.

Ok... now just do that one more time, right? Not. I knew this wasn't sustainable so I switched to a "fade slow" strategy for the rest of the race. I might have just made that strategy up, but the idea is to set explicit goals only marginally slower than whatever you were doing to begin with, and tail anyone that passes you for a couple hundred meters as a form of damage control. So I lowered my standards to 6:30s (a generous allowance, I thought, from previous low 6's).

I hit that for 10km before readjusting to 6:45. I assumed I could hold that for the rest of the race.... only 12km to go.

If you've never run so hard that you fear your muscles may disobey you altogether, you've never run hard enough.

... and at 35km, I was there. "Just slam your feet into the ground. Check your form. Take all the gatorade they'll give you. Electrolytes help muscles fire." My training was kicking in - back to basics. "And just keep it under 7:00. FFS". Well I failed at that - my last splits were awful as I sputtered through the last 7km. In a last hurrah sort of moment... right around 40km I realized that unless I stopped and walked, I would also be breaking 2:50, which was a great mental boost that lasted all the way through the finish (this mental boost is not apparent in actual timing data). The last mile of the course was marked at 400m intervals. It felt like the longest mile I've ever run.

But I finished. 2:48:50. All missions accomplished. At least I got a cold beer at the end, and it even turned out to be a pretty nice day!

GGRC was well-represented in Chicago. Props also go to Rax, Matt Goldberg, Robert Wong, and Katie Wysocky who all had great races (well, except Rax who somehow Rax'd his chip between 40km and the finish. I'm sure they'll sort that out, buddy). Maria Shuckahosee was also in town cheering on her sister.

That's it for now. Only a few more upcoming races this year for me:

Nov 2 : US Half (San Francisco - not a club race)
Nov 8: Santa Barbara Half
Dev 14: GGRC Christmas Relays

I guess I should register for Boston, huh?
-Simo
20141012_063537.jpg
20141012_122633.jpg

David Li

Oct 14, 2014, 10:17:50 AM10/14/14
to leone...@gmail.com, Golden Gate Running Club
Simo, that is unwholesomely fast. Huge congrats for a huge pr!!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 14, 2014, at 12:41 AM, Simo Leone <leone...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

<20141012_063537.jpg>

[...]

<20141012_122633.jpg>

<Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 23.09.09 .png>

GGRC was well-represented in Chicago. Props also go to Rax, Matt Goldberg, Robert Wong, and Katie Wysocky who all had great races (well, except Rax who somehow Rax'd his chip between 40km and the finish. I'm sure they'll sort that out, buddy). Maria Shuckahosee was also in town cheering on her sister.

That's it for now. Only a few more upcoming races this year for me:

Nov 2 : US Half (San Francisco - not a club race)
Nov 8: Santa Barbara Half
Dev 14: GGRC Christmas Relays

I guess I should register for Boston, huh?
-Simo

Mauricio Cuervo

Oct 14, 2014, 10:36:50 AM10/14/14
to David Li, leone...@gmail.com, Golden Gate Running Club
WOW!  That is truly impressive Simo. Congratulations!!! Great report, and amazing results.

Way to beat your PR and even 1/2 Marathon PR!

Mauricio

Kathy Chou

Oct 14, 2014, 11:21:51 AM10/14/14
to David Li, Simo Leone, Golden Gate Running Club

Holy crap Simo! You are an ANIMAL!
congrats on a blisteringly fast PR!

Sarah Slagle

Oct 14, 2014, 4:27:05 PM10/14/14
to kathy...@gmail.com, David Li, Simo Leone, Golden Gate Running Club
Awesome job Simo!!!

The Healdsburg crew were all stuffing our faces with burgers reading your Facebook updates and being really impressed - way to rep GGRC and be a BA MOFO...now go get Boston! ;)

Amanda Knudsen

Oct 14, 2014, 5:13:43 PM10/14/14
to Sarah Slagle, Kathy Chou, David Li, Simo Leone, Golden Gate Running Club
Ridiculous. Nice work, Simo!  I'm trying not to be bitter about the fact that you ran your 10k at a pace faster than I can run a single mile.  :)

Would love to see some race reports from everyone else who raced last weekend (Chicago, Dick Collins, Healdsburg, etc...).

Robert Wong

Oct 15, 2014, 1:18:39 AM10/15/14
to GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com, sarah.eliza...@gmail.com, kathy...@gmail.com, dli...@gmail.com, leone...@gmail.com
Insane time Simo especially the sub-1:20 first half!  Amanda ... as you wish ... race report follows :).

-- Robert

David Raksin

Oct 20, 2014, 2:36:31 PM10/20/14
to Robert Wong, Golden Gate Running Club, Sarah Slagle, Kathy Chou, David Li, Simo Leone
All -

My result FINALLY posted on the Chicago website: 3:31.23 - my bib chip didn't go off upon finish, so for a week they had me as someone who would get through 40K (24.8 miles) and just decide to walk off, satisfied (I could see Hans doing that if he didn't want a subpar result on the Athlinks, but not this guy!). I made the mistake of letting my buddy Aaron know I had submitted a result correction request and he woke me up Wednesday with this email that he had supposedly submitted to said results committee in my *support*:

Oct 20, 2014, 3:18:10 PM10/20/14
to David Raksin, Robert Wong, Golden Gate Running Club, Sarah Slagle, Kathy Chou, Simo Leone
Dude, congrats on fighting through some gnarly pre-race activities and poor logistics to finish off one of the world majors! Nice work!