A Word on running in smoke and making the most of confinement

GGRC Coach

Sep 13, 2020, 3:40:07 PM9/13/20
to Golden Gate Running Club
Hey Runners,
Hang in there in these troubling times. The last time this happened in Northern California at least we could fall back to the COVID free gyms and the dreadmill. This won't last forever and we'll see you out running some day.

If you're one of the few runners who insist on running right now, I'd advise reading this trail running magazine article published not long after the 2018 North Face Endurance Challenge was canceled due to monstrous wildfires: https://trailrunnermag.com/training/should-you-run-in-smoky-air-probably-not.html

It seems like forever since it's been safe to run outside.
I'm trying to make the most of the indoor time cleaning, doing errands, and other admin stuff. My hope is I can take full advantage of clear skies as soon as they are here and run my face off.

Five Hopeful things to do as a trapped runner:
1. Focus on your ground work, core work, and balance so you are set to run at the first opportunity.
2. Clean your gear. Sanitize water bottles, water bladders. Take those nasty trail shoes to a laundromat to wash in an industrial tumble machine.
3. Do some research on future destination runs. You can't go there now, but finish the research of the routes and logistics needed. Make a running bucket list
4. Make a training plan. Whether it's a 30 day plan to get faster or go further. A virtual marathon plan. Or even a multi-day stage race. You want to be ready and we train all the time anyway.
5. Take your spare change to the grocery store. Start making a folding-money fund for your future run fun. Saving now let's you cut loose during the good times.
Stay Safe
Coach Will

P.S. Running outside anywhere within 100 miles of San Francisco outside is ill-advised.
Take care of yourself so you can get out when things get better. They always do.