Race Report: Golden Gate Trail Run, Half Marathon

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Holly

unread,
Feb 10, 2013, 6:34:05 PM2/10/13
to GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com
So this was my first half marathon and a daunting one at that with 2420 ft elevation gain! I am pleased with the outcome though. :) I finished 6th place in my age group and 77th overall at 2:14:13!!

Here are my splits:
12:24, 12:36, 9:01, 7:15, 11:56, 12:32, 9:54, 8:12, 10:35, 8:17, 10:54, 8:10, 9:58

The toughest sections for me were the first two miles as the elevation was straight up hill from 0 to 900 ft. Same thing with miles 5 and 6 straight up hill. And then the hill at mile 11 killed me-ouch! All in all I am very pleased but I definitely had to dig deep on those hills and the last 2.5 miles.

I saw some fellow GGRC runners as well and I look forward to hearing their race reports! :)

David Li

unread,
Feb 10, 2013, 6:57:07 PM2/10/13
to holly.je...@gmail.com, GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com
Nice work on a difficult race, Holly!

Sent from my iPhone
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Golden Gate Running Club" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to GoldenGateRunnin...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

Phil Oreste

unread,
Feb 11, 2013, 11:07:27 AM2/11/13
to holly.je...@gmail.com, GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com
Congrats Holly on a great finish and choosing a monster for your first half marathon!

The waves were crashing at Rodeo Beach along with my quads on the big climbs, but once again, this race did not disappoint.  There were 7 GGRC'ers out there that I knew of and we picked up some age group hardware along the way.

Here are my splits:
Slow, slower, catching my breath, bombing downhill, staring at my shoes, staring at my shoes (part II), sightseeing, walking, watching runners go by, and finishing.  1:51, 23rd overall, 1st in the senior division.  Followed by the required carbo load at the Dipsea Cafe.


From: Holly <holly.je...@gmail.com>
To: GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com
Sent: Sun, February 10, 2013 3:34:15 PM
Subject: [GGRC] Race Report: Golden Gate Trail Run, Half Marathon

Barbara Lutes

unread,
Feb 11, 2013, 11:42:30 AM2/11/13
to por...@yahoo.com, holly.je...@gmail.com, GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com
Nice race reports.  I did that half last year.  I found it to be mentally challenging as well as physically.  Lots of waiting behind slower people who then sprinted past later on only to slow down again.  Trail running requires patience unless you are in the front of the pack.

Plus there was that ridiculous last hill near the stables when I thought I was home free.  That hill just pissed me off.  "Really?????" Was all I could think.

Great job guys!!

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone

Gabriele Falkenhain

unread,
Feb 11, 2013, 4:23:53 PM2/11/13
to GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com, holly.je...@gmail.com
Congratulations Holly!
Sorry we missed each other, did you actually ever see us? 


--- On Sun, 2/10/13, Holly <holly.je...@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Holly <holly.je...@gmail.com>
Subject: [GGRC] Race Report: Golden Gate Trail Run, Half Marathon

Gabriele Falkenhain

unread,
Feb 11, 2013, 4:25:06 PM2/11/13
to por...@yahoo.com, babs...@yahoo.com, holly.je...@gmail.com, GoldenGate...@googlegroups.com
Barb, we missed you out there yesterday, it was a perfect race day!

--- On Mon, 2/11/13, Barbara Lutes <babs...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages