Kaiser Half Training Week 1

Takashi Mizohata

Nov 28, 2022, 12:41:36 AM11/28/22
to Golden Gate Running Club
Since I don't have any personalized content for this week, I'm sending this as a preview for those who haven't signed up for the Half Marathon training, you can still do so. Submit the form here: https://forms.gle/b4qvpvga8T8qYd5S9

----

Hello Runners!

10 weeks from now, we're gonna be half marathon (or 5K/10K) finishers.

Unless you got a monumental achievement in the past, I want you to have the best race on Feb 5, 2023. Even if you don't get a PR, I want you to be proud of how you spend 10 weeks. You might be excited now, but there will be ups and downs. That's why we're here to support each other.

Every week, I will send y'all the weekly plan. It looks like Tuesday Morning will be the most popular time based on the questionnaire, so I will host the Tuesday Morning run (from Tue, Dec 6, not this week). And also, I will lead a long run on Saturday mornings. What I want from you are three things:
  1. Run 4 times a week. And if those group runs don't fit your schedule, I have made a Slack channel, #2023-kaiser-half-training. Ask fellow runners to join you in the workout.
  2. Run at the pace that I give to you. I'll keep your record, and from next week, I'll send you a personal email with the pace.
  3. Write a training log. It's not about the mileage. I'm asking you to write how you feel, what has worked well and what's not. I recommend you share it with me. Or you can share it with everyone on the slack channel. Or you decide not to share at all. That's up to you but keep some records, at minimum once a week.
I also recommend you ask questions on the slack channel so everyone can see, but if you prefer, you can email me as well. I'll try my best to answer it.

So this week's schedule:
  • Wed Nov 30, 6:15 PM at Kezar: 5K TT
  • Thu Dec 1, 6:30 AM at McLaren Lodge: Cruise Interval(*)
  • Sat Dec 3, TBD: 90 min long run, probably from McLaren Lodge.
  • Sun Dec 4, 10:00 AM at Warming Hut: Easy
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T_zt5krooHLfhBUU3P0x6aOEY7bCdMTzseKaYtGKbAk/edit#gid=252097198

* From McMillan: Cruise Intervals improve your lactate threshold like Tempo Runs and Tempo Intervals. Cruise intervals are run at a medium-hard effort and include short recovery intervals between. Breathing is fast and on the verge of out of control and the focus is more on running rhythm than pushing hard.

Onwards and upwards!

---
Coach Takashi