Weekly Workout - Wednesday April 10th: Descending Intervals

GGRC Coach

Apr 8, 2024, 6:41:17 PMApr 8
to Golden Gate Running Club
🕕 When: Wed, April 10th, 6:15 PM
📍 Where: The Southside homestretch of Kezar Stadium

📋 Format:
  • Introductions
  • Warm up
  • Workout
  • Cooldown
🏃 Workout:
Our workout this week is descending intervals! This is a time-based workout where you'll be running as follows:
  • 8 min run followed by 120 sec recovery
  • 6 min run followed by 90 sec recovery
  • 4 min run followed by 60 sec recovery
  • 2 min run followed by 30 sec recovery
  • Finish with a 1 min run
So essentially the recov time is a quarter of the run time. I'll blow a whistle to signal each transition - one whistle to start the running interval, two whistles to end and start recov.

For the running intervals, I recommend aiming for a pace between your 5K and 10K race paces. The objective is to maintain a consistent pace throughout all intervals. For instance, if you start with an 8 min/mile pace in the first rep, keep that pace up for the subsequent intervals. If you're unsure about your pace, go slightly faster than your comfortable "easy" pace.

For recovery, either walk or jog lightly. I also encourage you to find running buddies with a similar pace. This can make the workout more enjoyable and allow you to have a conversation during recovery, plus you'll be able to hold each other accountable.

🔋 Post Workout:
Let's go to Fireside (603 Irving St, between 7th and 8th Ave) this week! They let you bring food as well, so join us for food and drinks!

📅 Upcoming Races/Events:
  • Saturday April 13th - Rodeo Beach Rumble
  • Sunday May 19th - Bay to Breakers
  • Sunday June 23rd - Tahoe 6k/12k/Half marathon
✅ Membership:
Golden Gate Running Club is a non-profit organization. Membership dues help cover all of the events and perks that GGRC offers. Visit our RunSignup membership page to pay your 2024 dues! Returning members (from 2023) should renew through the RunSignup platform. If you have any questions about it, let us know.

See you at Kezar!
-- Coach Lena