[Gnabbist] gn1005_Blaze.jpg

Gnabbist

May 22, 2010, 8:39:25 AM5/22/10
to Gnabbist gGroup
A foray into a new medium. I've been immersed in the learning curves
for DAZ Studio and Blender for a while (and, to some extent, SketchUp,
although I got addicted to that years ago)-- so, when an art jam over
on the http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/forum/ R3 board sparked an
interesting idea, it ended up falling into that workflow.
[The image may be viewed in context at
http://www.thirdraildesignlab.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16589&start=29
]

It's in keeping with my personal tradition of pretty much ignoring
the character, and instead indulging in hokey wordplay. Which
explains why there's a blaze here, and a tidge of modesty...

Traditional 3D Renderer's Acknowledgments:
- Kozaburo built the "Messy" hair (and the "Allback" hair, which
I pressed into service as a bun.)
- Adam Thwaites provided the unworn bra and the fire texture.
(From the /incredible/ wealth of freebies at his
most-digital-creations.com site.)
- The Victoria 4.2 figure, what little she IS wearing, and the
rendering application are from DAZ3D.
- Blender and UVMapper allowed me to convert my Sketchup models (a
couple of geodesics, and the little miscellaneous scenery-filler
standup that's carrying the fire) into a format that DAZ Studio
could import.

All of the above being (astonishingly) free for the downloading...!
A boon for impecunious artists-- provided, of course, that you can
afford the massive timesuck of learning this stuff.

Educational Value: Pretty much the lighting.

The fill lighting comes from three "distant" lights, arranged at
"random" angles to each other, to avoid having two soft shadow lines
combining and painting a bold stripe across the model's skin. Or,
to quote Dr. Spengler: "Don't cross the streams. It would be bad."

The firelight is simulated by three point-source lights of varying
hues sprinkled into the vicinity of the fire prop. Which, like
the sky dome, is completely lit by its own ambient light-- everything
else is zeroed out. Including shadows, cuz it looks silly when your
fire casts a shadow. 8^j*

One moderate spotlight provides the overall key light, revealing
contours and casting shadows.

Gnabbist

gn1005_Blaze.jpg

TRDL - Thom

May 22, 2010, 10:34:43 AM5/22/10
to gnab...@googlegroups.com
Quite astonishing given your recent climb up the learning curve!!!
> <gn1005_Blaze.jpg>

Gnabbist

May 22, 2010, 12:18:06 PM5/22/10
to Gnabbist
On May 22, 10:34 am, TRDL - Thom wrote:
> Quite astonishing given your recent climb up the learning curve!!!

Ta muchly! Hmm. Yeah, I guess it's about two months since
I downloaded the killer app. Although to be fair, it appears
to have been specifically engineered to engage my addictive
tendencies. Art, math, and physics-- not to mention fairly
ogle-worthy gynoid entities. It's a wonder that anyone in
Real Life[TM] sees me at all. 8^j*

-- Gnabbist
"Who's that, Mom?"
"Just the hermit who lives in the garret."

TRDL - Thom

May 22, 2010, 1:41:36 PM5/22/10
to gnab...@googlegroups.com
Gynoid math!