Re: Disappearing Sent mail, disappearing attachments

tony Yarbrough

Feb 17, 2014, 2:55:00 PM2/17/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Im not seeing my sent emails that I send off, whats going on. Is anybody ova there at google noticing/troubleshooting this problem. I need to have records of the emails I send out.

On Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:31:58 PM UTC-4, billhansen wrote:
I've noticed that occasionally, one or more of the emails I sent
through Gmail disappears. It never makes its way to theSent Mail part
of Gmail, or anywhere else as far as I can tell. The intended
recipients do receive the mail, but I have no copy of the mail I've
sent.

Also, attachments, or filenames of attachments, never appear in Sent
Mail on any email I send through Gmail. Sometimes there will be an
ideogram of a paper clip, indicating that there was an attachment, but
there's no indication of file name or other identification of which
attachment was sent. On other mails which were sent with attachments,
the copy which goes to Sent Mail doesn't even have a paper clip
ideogram, or any other indication that there was an attachment to the
original email. The recipients do get the attachments (as far as I can
tell), but I have no way to check back on which attachments I've sent
to whom.

I assume this is just another in the  list of shortcomings of Gmail,
but I'm hoping that someone in the group will know of a way to recover
those lost Sent mails -  and maybe there's even a way to identify
which files were originaly attached to any emails sent through Gmail.
It seems like a very major shortcoming of a mail program, not to have
any indication of which files were attached to Sent emails.

Any info on these would be very helpful - even if people just confirm
that this is a shortcoming we all have to live with, if we're going to
use Gmail.

Thanks - Bill Hansen

Andy

Feb 18, 2014, 12:53:41 AM2/18/14
to [Gmail-Users]
On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:55 PM, tony Yarbrough <tonyyar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Im not seeing my sent emails that I send off, whats going on. Is anybody ova there at google noticing/troubleshooting this problem. I need to have records of the emails I send out.

Are you saying that when you click on "Sent Mail", there is nothing there?

Do you have any Filters?

(Oh, and there is nobody here from Google.  This is a users group.)

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Feb 18, 2014, 8:12:49 AM2/18/14
to gmail-users

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:55 PM, tony Yarbrough <tonyyar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Im not seeing my sent emails that I send off, whats going on. Is anybody ova there at google noticing/troubleshooting this problem. I need to have records of the emails I send out.

Do you have any other devices/mail clients connecting to your Gmail account? If so, start looking there.

--
Marko

Theresa Glover

Apr 1, 2014, 9:21:22 AM4/1/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bill, I have had the exact same problem, except that sometimes people dont recieve the email either and I have to resend.  then I go to my sents and it is not there.  others get them, and I have no record of it.
Theresa Glover

Francisco Azevedo

Apr 10, 2014, 3:09:51 PM4/10/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Today I realized I have the exact same problem, 2 months of Sent Emails are gone... February and March. Puff ! And all Gmail could say to this was:

Thank you for requesting to recover mail that has recently been deleted from your account. After investigating, we discovered that we will not be able to successfully recover messages in this case.  We apologize for this inconvenience. If you have not already done so, we suggest that you take the steps outlined in our Security Checklist.

Gmail Security Checklist: https://support.google.com/mail/checklist/2986618

Because there's unfortunately no more we can do to try to recover these messages, we won't be able to respond to future inquiries.

Thanks Gmail...

Andy

Apr 11, 2014, 8:51:40 PM4/11/14
to [Gmail-Users]
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM, Francisco Azevedo <franciscod...@gmail.com> wrote:

Today I realized I have the exact same problem, 2 months of Sent Emails are gone... February and March. Puff !

Take a look at your setup to see what might have made them go away.  Do you access your email from a mobile device?  Do you have IMAP enabled?  Does your Gmail account have Filters?  Has anyone other than you logged into your account?  Did you check the Trash label (assuming that you are looking for them online, and not in a separate email client program such as Thunderbird, Eudora, Outlook, etc.)?  Did you change anything in early February about the way you use your email?

And all Gmail could say to this was:
After investigating, we discovered that we will not be able to successfully recover messages in this case.

In my opinion, that's not unexpected.  Gmail is a free service.  Google doesn't provide backups for free users, and hoping that they would go through backup media over a two month period, to hope to catch messages that were accidentally deleted, is not reasonable.  If your Sent emails were deleted the moment they were sent, for example, there might be no record on any backup medium.

Andy

Francisco Azevedo

Apr 11, 2014, 10:49:32 PM4/11/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
First of all, I did not request or expect a backup. Secondly, I didn't erase anything. I trully don't understand your reasoning Andy since your points go way off target. If you're asking what I would expect from gmail, probably a registry of what happened for example, or a reasonable explanation. What I didn't expect was an automated canned response.
Message has been deleted

Zack (Doc)

Apr 12, 2014, 11:34:16 AM4/12/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Francisco,

Did you completely miss the first paragraph where he offered many things to check to figure out for yourself what happened?

Also, GMail has in excess of 400 million free accounts.  You can't possibly expect them to provide personalized service for (I say this again for emphasis) free.  And for the record, while your response may have been canned, I assure it it wasn't automated.  I have heard this report many times, and people don't always get ANY response.  So you're response was initiated by a real human being.  What I take it to mean is that your messages missing is not a fault of a problem on their side.  The one time I'm aware of GMail having an issue on their side which removed messages from thousands of user accounts, the messages re-appeared roughly a week later.  Every other time it's happened to a single user, it was the result of an action on their side.  Either you accidentally removed them, or you were hacked.  Have you checked the security logs Google offers you to see who's been accessing your account?  Did you check all the reasons Andy stated above which could be causing this from your side?

Also... you put in a request to recover email.  While you may not have thought you were asking for a backup; you were.

Francisco Azevedo

Apr 12, 2014, 12:17:55 PM4/12/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hello Zack. No, I didn’t miss it, I already had checked everything, because I wouldn’t be posting on this group without researching the problem first and/or trying to fix it..

By personalized service, you mean personally answering a request about a possible error? How many of those 400 million do you think had real issues and wrote a report to gmail? I would think not that many, comparing to the structure of gmail.

Btw, are you assuming it only happened to one user (me)? Well, I am assuming this probably happened to more people. I guess we'll never know.
I have checked the previously mentioned issues that could be responsible, found no reason for this. Also, I checked the security log and it doesn't show anything suspicious, although it doesn't have that much info.

Why do you say I put in a request for mail recovery?

Thanks for your helpful feedback.

Francisco Azevedo

Apr 12, 2014, 12:31:35 PM4/12/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andy, btw sorry I seemed to skip the first part of your text, I did check everything and found no reason for what happened. I'd say the chance that gmail had some kind of issue wouldn't be far-fetched.
As for the second part, being a free service and not having backups is not a reason to not even investigate a possible issue and sending a quick canned reply. Assuming the problem was created by the user is an easy answer. While some times (maybe many times) this could be true, assuming it so quickly doesn't seem proper.

Zack (Doc)

Apr 12, 2014, 3:10:15 PM4/12/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Francisco,

Look at the numbers.  If only 0.1% of all users reported a problem per day that'd still be 400,000 requests.  Do you have any idea the type of manpower it would take to provide personalized investigations and responses for even 1% of that (4,000) per day?

I didn't assume it was only you, their response implied it.  Presuming the problem was more widespread than just yourself, and filing the report with Google was both appropriate and prudent.  When there is a widespread problem, a number of reports will help them determine what the problem was so that they can resolve it.  The fact that they did enough investigation to determine they did not have a widespread problem, and took the time to send you that response, implies the problem would have to be on your side (to your point to Andy, it's either you or them, they determined it wasn't them).

And the first 7 words of their reply is what says to me that you put in a request... "Thank you for requesting to recover mail"

To summarize... putting in a report to them in case the problem existed beyond your account GOOD.  Their canned response = "We looked and it wasn't our fault"

Andy

Apr 12, 2014, 3:23:59 PM4/12/14
to [Gmail-Users]
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Francisco Azevedo <franciscod...@gmail.com> wrote:

..
. Assuming the problem was created by the user is an easy answer. While some times (maybe many times) this could be true, assuming it so quickly doesn't seem proper.

How long was it between your inquiry and Google's response?

I didn't see anything in their response that concluded what the reason was.  All they said was that they would not be able to recover your missing messages.  Which I think means, they won't assign someone to comb through their backup media, find the ones that include your account's storage, restore to temporary storage space, then go through the messages to find the ones you were missing, and merge them back into the database for your account.

Have you ever needed to restore even one file from your own backup tapes or discs (assuming you run backups)?  Now multiply that by a few million.

If this were Google Apps and you were paying for it, maybe then there would be an expectation of service.  But not when you get it for free.

If it is is a problem seen regularly by Gmail customers, then probably Google is trying to find and fix it.

I understand you "checked everything" but that's not conclusive.  No offense intended.  It's just that the human factor is the biggest variable in the picture and none of us is infallible.

Andy

Francisco Azevedo

Apr 12, 2014, 4:33:19 PM4/12/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Don't you think 4000 a day is a bit unrealistic? Let's look at this particular publication for example. How many responses do you see? Moreover, a bit more than 9000 views in 2 years. Let's assume everyone that saw this had this issue (totally overshooting by a long distance). If we assume everyone would write to gmail (again overshooting), that would be 12 requests like mine per day. Doesn't seem that bad if you ask me..

Anyway this conversation isn't leading anywhere, because in fact I didn't want a personal backup assistant as you guys are refering. What I wanted was to know what happened, if there was a registry or an explanation, or if this has happened before, or at this time, to other people. Judging by this topic, it has..

So again, nice support gmail.

Francisco Azevedo

Apr 12, 2014, 5:08:37 PM4/12/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That's an interesting question. I received the email with the title "Autoreply" one hour later.
Yes Andy, I have many HD with backups actually, I just didn't expect I would have to backup my emails too.
Of course it's not conclusive, I can assume the fault could be mine, I just highly doubt it. And since there's no proof that it's not gmail fault, I guess we'll never know.

You guys are pointing out a very good, offtopic, question. Why do you guys think that, because gmail offers a free service, it doesn't need to offer proper support?
Following your reasoning, because it's a free service, gmail shouldn't have to offer any kind of security, or any other feature for that matter. "Don't expect anything because it's free" is not a good argument.

Andy

Apr 13, 2014, 1:42:37 AM4/13/14
to [Gmail-Users]
On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM, Francisco Azevedo <franciscod...@gmail.com> wrote:

You guys are pointing out a very good, offtopic, question. Why do you guys think that, because gmail offers a free service, it doesn't need to offer proper support?

No.  Google provides the basic support to give you 15 GB of free storage with good security and uptime, and they backup that storage so that if a failure happens on their end, they can likely restore what you had.

What they don't provide is personal / individual support, as in, a customer service agent to handle your calls, or a support system to fix mistakes a user makes.  Those things cost money, lots of it.  I think the vast majority of questions about missing messages come from people who accidentally deleted important messages and now they want them back.  We see questions about that here in this Googlegroup repeatedly.

Andy

Boggins Snowdrop the Third

Apr 25, 2014, 2:31:55 PM4/25/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I am having the same problem, hence I have found this thread. An important "sent" email never appeared in my Sent email folder. I can't find it anywhere in any of the weird folder structure that Gmail makes (Junk, Trash, Archive, Sent, All Mail, Sent Messages etc). Have given up looking - obviously Gmail has a major problem here and I may have to give up entirely using Gmail.

Andy

Apr 28, 2014, 10:47:40 AM4/28/14
to [Gmail-Users]
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Boggins Snowdrop the Third <rjctom...@gmail.com> wrote:

obviously Gmail has a major problem here and I may have to give up entirely using Gmail.

​I don't know that Gmail "obviously" has a major problem here, and, pardon me for saying so, but I don't think you​ can state that either.

Andy

Alex R

Jul 25, 2014, 4:39:26 PM7/25/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I was looking for an old attachment I had received. I found the message, I found on the thread that I had already read it and received it, but the message didn't have the attachment anymore. The message is there, but without the attachment.

Mark Morin

Oct 29, 2014, 9:47:55 AM10/29/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
All my sent emails just disappear after about 48 hours. Not deleting any of them.

Marko Vukovic

Oct 29, 2014, 1:26:39 PM10/29/14
to gmail-users

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Mark Morin <markmo...@gmail.com> wrote:
All my sent emails just disappear after about 48 hours. Not deleting any of them.

​Do you have any other devices connected to the account that could be doing that?

I would also change my password immediately and make sure all account recovery options are up to date. ​

--
Marko

Andy

Oct 29, 2014, 1:28:29 PM10/29/14
to [Gmail-Users]
On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Mark Morin <markmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

All my sent emails just disappear after about 48 hours. Not deleting any of them.

​Where do they disappear ... in their recipients' email programs, or in yours?  You have no control over them once they go to another account.

If you are talking about your Gmail account, if they are being deleted, there has to be something that is deleting them.

Are you sure they are deleted, or are they still there when you go to your "All Mail" area?  Are they in "Trash"?

I don't use a smartphone with Gmail, but I've heard that it is a frequent cause, when the smartphone's settings were set to delete messages after read on the smartphone.

In the event that your Gmail account has been compromised by someone who knows your password, change your password ASAP.  Also check the account activity, in the lower right corner of the Gmail screen when you are logged in.  Click the "Details" link, and check it for any suspicious activity that didn't come from you.

Andy

Jacqueline Kunze

Oct 31, 2014, 1:13:03 PM10/31/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I have had the same problem. I really wish to see attachments of emails I sent but I am unable to and just have to rely that the customer or business person I sent it to is telling the truth about the attachments.

So you're not alone.

Marko Vukovic

Nov 1, 2014, 10:35:03 AM11/1/14
to gmail-users

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Jacqueline Kunze <jacquelin...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have had the same problem. I really wish to see attachments of emails I sent but I am unable to and just have to rely that the customer or business person I sent it to is telling the truth about the attachments.

​What troubleshooting steps have you taken thus far? Have you done the usual clear cache and cookies step? Do you have any other apps/devices connected via IMAP?​

--
Marko

Fred Ochs

Nov 9, 2014, 11:17:22 AM11/9/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I also have the same problem with attachments disappearing both in incoming mail and sent mail. I do use the Mac OS Mail for iMap and also am using iPhone and iPad mail. Only occasionally use gmail web mail and mainly to try to track missing stuff like this down.

Carol Triefler

Apr 9, 2015, 6:56:13 PM4/9/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned finding these "lost" emails as part of a "chain" that was created. I have discovered many emails I never remember receiving in my inbox, as part of a chain when I go to these for some reason. Being part of the chain is okay, but I would also like to be aware of the mail when it is sent, not after the fact.

Carol

Marko Vukovic

Apr 9, 2015, 7:30:03 PM4/9/15
to gmail-users

On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Carol Triefler <ctri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned finding these "lost" emails as part of a "chain" that was created. I have discovered many emails I never remember receiving in my inbox, as part of a chain when I go to these for some reason. Being part of the chain is okay, but I would also like to be aware of the mail when it is sent, not after the fact.

​I'm not sure what this has to do with the OP which is about disappearing sent mail. You seem to be talking about incoming email, perhaps start your own thread. Gmail groups messages together as conversations if that's what you mean by 'chain'.

--
Marko

billhansen

Apr 5, 2012, 8:31:58 PM4/5/12
to Gmail-Users

Andy

Apr 5, 2012, 9:37:36 PM4/5/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> I've noticed that occasionally, one or more of the emails I sent
> through Gmail disappears. ...

Just for the record, I've never had the problems you describe.

Are you using Gmail's web interface, or another program by way of IMAP?

Andy

bill hansen

Apr 6, 2012, 7:36:47 AM4/6/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Andy - Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty technologically dumb, but I'm pretty sure Gmail comes to my computers via IMAP, not POP or webmail. I don't use a web interface for Gmail.

Incidentally, this is not a new problem for me. I've suspected it occasionally, ever since I began to use Gmail. It's come to a head in the past few days, when I've sent short emails with attachments (JPEG photo images) to several different people. As far as I can tell, all my recipients received their emails - but when sending follow-up emails containing more image attachments, I was unable to go back to Sent Mail and refresh my memory about which attachments went to which recipients.

Bill

Andy

Andy

Apr 6, 2012, 8:27:41 AM4/6/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> Andy - Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty technologically dumb, but I'm
> pretty sure Gmail comes to my computers via IMAP, not POP or webmail. I
> don't use a web interface for Gmail.

So how exactly do you access your e-mail?

Thunderbird? Outlook? Outlook Express? What program do you start to
check and send your e-mail messages? It is probably in that program
where the problem lies.

(I am currently using Gmail's web interface. I run a web browser
(Google Chrome in my case), navigate to Gmail, and login to my Gmail
account. I gather you do something different.)

If you really are using POP or IMAP and an e-mail client program, then
you might try logging into Gmail directly with your web browser, and
checking the "Sent" folder there on Gmail's web server. Perhaps your
sent messages, and all the attachments, are there.

Andy

bill hansen

Apr 6, 2012, 8:39:02 AM4/6/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Andy -

This is where my lack of tech knowledge complicates things. From what you've written, I'm using webmail.  The email just comes in as Gmail, through my ISP, which is Time Warner's "Roadrunner", and Internet Explorer 8, Windows XP Pro with SP3. In the past I've used each of the email clients you mention (Outlook Express, MS Outlook itself, Thunderbird), but I'm not using any of them now.

Is there a way I can check the Sent folder directly from Gmail's web server itself? Do you have any thoughts about the apparent stripping of attachments (and evidences of attachments) from Sent mails?

Bill

Andy

Andy

Apr 7, 2012, 12:06:49 AM4/7/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> Is there a way I can check the Sent folder directly from Gmail's web server
> itself?

Click on the "Sent Mail" link in the upper left column.

Sometimes it can be hard to locate your own emails in the "Sent Mail"
area, because they will appear along with the rest of the
conversations they are a part of. But they normally should be there.

> Do you have any thoughts about the apparent stripping of attachments
> (and evidences of attachments) from Sent mails?

I don't. Sorry.

I know there appear to be a number of ways to do "attachments" in
emails, and not all of them appear to an email program as an actual
attached file or picture. Sometimes they simply appear within the
body of a message, and Gmail might not show the paper clip icon to
show that the message has an attachment.

Andy

bill hansen

Apr 7, 2012, 9:10:38 AM4/7/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Andy - I tried using the Conversations option in Gmail for a while, but I much prefer the (non-conversation) option, so I for the past several months I've kept Conversations turned off. Only a very few of my email interactions go back and forth enough so that Conversations would clarify things. Hunting for the missing emails, I can go back to a time several days before the interchange began, and still not find the ones I've sent, either in Sent mail or in All Mail.

It will remain another of the great mysteries of Gmail.It's disturbing and potentially embarrassing, but I can live with it. Gmail is certainly better than Thunderbird, and my Outlook 2007 had begun to hold on to emails for a few days at a time (Roadrunner), so even with its limitations Gmail is a big improvement.

Bill

Andy

Andy

Apr 8, 2012, 9:10:48 PM4/8/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I think it is worth reporting this problem to Google. (To report a
bug, click on the 8-sided gear symbol near the upper right corner of
your Gmail page, near where you logout from Gmail.) It sounds like
something they should be made aware of.

As I say, it hasn't happened to me (that I am aware of), so it might
be a data integrity problem that doesn't affect everyone. Judging by
the lack of responses from others, I take it it hasn't been noticed by
many other Gmail users either.

And just as a sanity check ... you have looked in your Trash and Spam
folders too? Just in case.

Finally, do you by any chance use a smart phone with your Gmail
account? I know next to nothing about that, but using a smart phone
to check your email throws another significant variable into the
picture.

Regards,
Andy

bill hansen

Apr 8, 2012, 9:16:45 PM4/8/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Yes, of course I checked the Spam and Trash folders repeatedly, as those "disappeared" emails occurred. I never found the missing emails. Most of the time it doesn't matter, because I'm only doing personal correspondence - but sometimes a missing piece of personal correspondence can cause lots of trouble!

That's a good suggestion to try to report it to Google. I'll do that.

Bill

Border Meetup Group

Sep 30, 2013, 8:51:02 AM9/30/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had the loss of sent email problem (that I know of) but I did run across the same problem of the attachment not being visible.  There's an icon showing that there was an attachment but there's no attachment at the bottom.  Anyone find help for this problem?

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:44:06 AM UTC-8, JohnW wrote:
Reg B.,
Given the fact that you actually 'write' your e-mail text on the Gmail server (with a local display thereof) [when you are online!], any temporary loss of your network connectivity shouldn't affect whether the message is sent or not provided the instruction to Send is received by the server.
The act of pressing Send causes the 'Sent Mail' label to be attached to the (now stored) message and the Gmail server does the rest.
A temporary loss of network connectivity might possibly affect what you see (when looking for those sent messages): perhaps what you're seeing is a cached copy rather than the real thing - but from experience I'd say the most likely thing is that you have some filter(s) that may be behaving in a way you're not expecting (rather than actually 'misbehaving'!!).
Your comment regards "seems centred around Bcc" intrigues: do you have some function set up to cause 'something' to occur regards Bcc-ing yourself perhaps?
Again, Bcc is carried out by the Gmail servers - rather than any other hardware - and for most Gmail users the function works perfectly: the 'implication' must be that something else is affecting this function for you, be it intermittently or not!

Hope this helps, anyway.

On Saturday, 29 September 2012 15:53:52 UTC+1, Reg B. wrote:
Hi Guys... Im having the same issues.

  • This is sending emails from my laptop
  • im using chrome
  • I press send
  • The email disappears after pressing send
  • Nothing is in sent items or anywhere.
  • Sometimes ive sent the same email 3 or more times and each time ... zipf! gone
  • Its a problem that seems centered around BCC for me
  • Its just intermittent I cannot predict when it happens
  • I wonder if its my net connection which can be problematic for a couple seconds dropout at times and when i press send theres just no internet connect and therefore the email just simply vanishes.

Andy

Oct 1, 2013, 4:18:13 PM10/1/13
to [Gmail-Users]
On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Border Meetup Group <border...@gmail.com> wrote:

I haven't had the loss of sent email problem (that I know of) but I did run across the same problem of the attachment not being visible.  There's an icon showing that there was an attachment but there's no attachment at the bottom.  Anyone find help for this problem?

I get some emails that are HTML that show the paper-clip icon but there is no attached file.  Something in the HTML code must be triggering the icon to appear.

You can always examine the full code of the email message ("Show original" in drop-down menu next to the Reply icon in upper right).  If you know your HTML, you can see if there really should be an attached file, and you could probably extract that portion of the code and run it through a decoder to retrieve the missing attachments.  I occasionally had to do that, back in the darker ages of the Internet (~1990), but haven't had to with Gmail.

Andy

Elena

Oct 8, 2013, 12:01:18 AM10/8/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
my sent emails disappear regularly.. sometimes I go and  check in sent emails section and entire weeks or months have gone .. its a mystery of gmail.. first time terrified.. now not sure what to consider?? how should we all to report on this??

Marko Vukovic

Oct 8, 2013, 8:51:05 AM10/8/13
to gmail-users

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Elena <elena.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
my sent emails disappear regularly.. sometimes I go and  check in sent emails section and entire weeks or months have gone .. its a mystery of gmail.. first time terrified.. now not sure what to consider?? how should we all to report on this??

Hi Elena

Did you try clearing your cache and cookies? Have you tried with a different browser?

Do you have any other mail clients connecting to Gmail? I would also suggest setting a new password.

--
Marko

Steven Berlin

Nov 3, 2013, 8:23:17 AM11/3/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Bill,
I have had attachments on emails disappear on forwarding.....a lot !  this is a big issues for me if I can't count on the attachments going where I send them.   If you folk find a work around please let me know ?

Eoin Healy

Nov 9, 2013, 4:25:51 AM11/9/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'm having a similar problem. I was trying to send some essays to my professor in college but the attachments are disappearing. I've tried sending them as word documents and as PDFs. I've also tried sending them to myself. None of these approaches were working. I then thought it might be because I was attempting to send seven at once to I tried sending a picture to myself which also didn't work.

I'm using Google Chrome and Windows 7. Please help, I really need to get these essays submitted!

Eoin

P.S

I am clicking attach and waiting for the blue loading bar to finish on all attachments before sending.

Sarah

Nov 9, 2013, 10:12:16 AM11/9/13
to Gmail Users

To everyone having problems with attachments...
Sorry these will not be much help if the message is missing as well as the attachment.

Here is a selection of links to Google's help. Included are how to view headers, how to report missing attachment (contact form), & file types that Gmail will not send.

An attachment I sent was garbled or missing

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/82440?hl=en&ref_topic=15057

Attachments: blocked file types, zip files & maximum file size (25Mb)

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6590?hl=en&ref_topic=15057

How to view headers

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22454?hl=en

How to send a report about missing attachments (you must include the headers as a txt file)

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/gtag_headers?ctx=gtag_headers&bug_topic=Outgoing+Attachment+Issue

Sarah

Nov 9, 2013, 10:17:40 AM11/9/13
to Gmail Users

At my college, gmail was blocked. They said it was a security measure. It was not possible to use gmail to send attachments to anyone using a college email address.

On 9 Nov 2013 12:59, "Eoin Healy" <eoh...@tcd.ie> wrote:

Sandip

Nov 26, 2013, 11:33:37 PM11/26/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
HI all,

Me too faced the same issue occasionally, one or more of the emails I sent through Gmail disappears. I checked the Spam and Trash folders repeatedly, as those "disappeared" emails occurred. I never found the missing emails.

and now I can see that this is a genuine isse and most of us are facing the same. Hence I will be reporting this soon

Joe Mach

Jan 4, 2014, 7:29:10 PM1/4/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem as well.  It's not an issue with Gmail or the apps.  What I have noticed is that Gmail added the "send and archive" button as the default highlighted in blue.  So when you send reply, the original email is now in your archive folder.  To avoid this you can got to settings, general and click hide send and archive.

You can also click just the send button instead of the "send and archive" button which has the word send with a little down arrow key pointing to a box beside the word.

Cheers.

Marko Vukovic

Jan 5, 2014, 1:35:18 AM1/5/14
to gmail-users
I would think, Joe, that if one turns on the 'Show send and archive' (off by default) that one would want that to be the highlighted button.
Another way to quickly just send is to use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Enter.
--
Marko