Quechup.com - DANGER - SPAM

JNM

Aug 30, 2007, 2:38:34 PM8/30/07
to Gmail-Users
Beware of Quechup.com

It will steal your gmail contacts and spam them. The invitation to
search for gmail contacts is dangerously misleading - If you enter
your gmail id and password, everyone on your contact list is sent an
invitation.

Spread the word, don't be tricked

Zack (Doc)

Aug 30, 2007, 3:01:59 PM8/30/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
This is true of many of the new social networking sites (MySpace
inspired the lot of them). General rule of thumb, never give out your
password except to the site you're signing into. Even legitimate
sites increase the risk of abuse. Like Nancy Reagan said "Just say
no!"

Mandar

Aug 31, 2007, 7:00:33 PM8/31/07
to Gmail-Users

Is there a way to report this site to the gmail folks?

On Aug 30, 3:01 pm, "Zack (Doc)" <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
> This is true of many of the new social networking sites (MySpace
> inspired the lot of them). General rule of thumb, never give out your
> password except to the site you're signing into. Even legitimate
> sites increase the risk of abuse. Like Nancy Reagan said "Just say
> no!"
>

> On 8/30/07, JNM <jnmaal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Beware of Quechup.com
>
> > It will steal your gmail contacts and spam them. The invitation to
> > search for gmail contacts is dangerously misleading - If you enter
> > your gmail id and password, everyone on your contact list is sent an
> > invitation.
>

> > Spread the word, don't be tricked- Hide quoted text -

Ryan Morehart

Sep 1, 2007, 8:41:18 AM9/1/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
No, there isn't really any way for this particular type of thing (at least AFAIK). It's a perfectly legitimate thing for a site to do and you probably actually agreed to in their Terms of Service. Some people want their friends to get these emails.

I agree it's annoying though, but it just shows you have to be careful.

Ryan
--
Make long URLs memorable: http://urlet.com

Somecgirl

Sep 4, 2007, 4:22:43 PM9/4/07
to Gmail-Users
I have been trying to warn all of my contacts to disreagrd the Quechup
invite they were sent by me unknowingly but I keep getting locked out
since I have so many bounce backs. I am trying to be responsible so
others do not fall prey to the same trap I did. How do I actually
reach a person at Google. Although I am dissatisfied with queschup,
made sure I do NOT have an account, I realize they are probably within
legal rights. My concern is that I cannot easily send out to all
those in my contact list now that I am being locked out for SPAM when
really I just want to alert other gmail users of the SPAM.

Help. Incidently, I am not a newbie user and I made a bad assumption
that Queschup worked liek Linked in and Face Book. Major lesson
learned. I think Quechup has hurt the potential for many on-line
users.

thank you.

On Aug 30, 11:38 am, JNM <jnmaal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Beware ofQuechup.com

A.

Sep 6, 2007, 6:20:56 AM9/6/07
to Gmail-Users
Yep, I should have read more carefully and not given them access to my
address book, it's true, and yes, I've changed my password to gmail,
which is something everyone should do. I can't find any information
for how long these scum sucking e-mail harvesters continue to access
your account.

So, makes sure when you get back in that you *change your gmail
password*

Cheers,
A.